Funny Stuff

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Lowdoggy Dogg

Funny Stuff

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:38 pm

My son was very tired today (3 years old) and as I laid down next to him to read a story I asked what he wanted to read. He said "The Mormon of Cars. It's so fast and goes zoom and smashes cars."

He's into monster trucks these days.

Card

Postby Card » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 04:42 pm

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng ... th-al-gore

So, I guess we should all try to stop exhaling so much. Stupid carbon dioxide. (I'm guessing that it was supposed to be carbon monoxide?)

Edited: Wait. Am I wrong? Carbon dioxide is bad, too?

steelem

Postby steelem » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 05:15 pm

Dude, everything's bad. We're just a crazy mess of planet destroying people, yo.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 01:15 pm

:lol:
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 08:11 am

steelem wrote:Dude, everything's bad. We're just a crazy mess of planet destroying people, yo.

Oh, come on. Not everything is bad and potentially hazardous to the planet's health. Just the things that you enjoy and/or make life worth while.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 01:31 pm

This was printed in The Daily Universe (BYU's Newspaper). If you don't see what's wrong with it, read the first line very carefully...especially around the word "Apostles."
<a href="http://family.jasonlwright.com/"><b><i>I got a blog...</i></b></a>

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 01:40 pm

That is too hilarious. The Daily Unifarce strikes again!!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 01:59 pm

That's delightful. Even more delightful is the paper's <a href="http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/72090">news story</a> about how it happened, in which everyone seems to think it's the most heinous, offensive, unfortunate, dastardly thing that has ever occurred. I guess the Universe couldn't very well quote people who thought it was a funny and harmless typo, even though they probably comprise the vast majority.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 02:32 pm

And my journalism students wonder why I'm such a jerk about them proofreading and editing their copy.

I only wish I could get my hands on an original copy. Thanks for the scan, JLW!

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 04:26 pm

I would like to get an original as well. They've all been pulled though. That picture was on a friends Facebook account.

steelem

Postby steelem » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 06:52 pm

Wow. People obviously have too much time on their hands if they get super worked up about that. If they want, they can come do my laundry, or clean my baseboards, or paint my bedroom, or shuttle my kids around. That would keep them a bit busier.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 07:56 pm

Maybe I'm just getting too cynical in my dotage to swallow every explanation whole these days, but two things struck me when I read the story Eric linked.

First, ANYONE old enough to go to BYU, and ESPECIALLY if the student is LDS--has been exposed to the word "apostle" enough times that an accidental misspelling seems very unlikely to me.

Second, the copy editor using Spell Check notices a word is highlighted, and hurriedly selects "apostate" as the suggested corrected spelling. I'm sorry, but did the brain even participate in this decision? Spell Check is meant to be used as a tool to get the writer to take a closer look at a suspected misspelled word, within the context of the story or caption. It's a red flag that says "WAIT! Is this the word you really meant?" It is not an omniscient gap-filler that enables even sloppy writers to write successfully without having to learn to spell.

(I know you guys all know this, and I'm sorry for going on so. But laziness in spelling is one of my hot buttons, and it irks me when people try to play all innocent when a joke backfires. So whichever action was responsible for the wrong word being used, I think this particular error was not an innocent one born of deadlines and time constraints.)

I used to be a copy editor on a campus newspaper, so maybe I do notice little errors that many people do not, but that word jumped out at me as soon as I saw the caption, and I am sure it did for lots of others. It's just too big a stretch to think it was an innocent error overlooked by several people in the process.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 09:57 pm

KareNin wrote:First, ANYONE old enough to go to BYU, and ESPECIALLY if the student is LDS--has been exposed to the word "apostle" enough times that an accidental misspelling seems very unlikely to me.

I'm sure the copy editor knew how to spell "apostle." I know how to spell "the," too, but I still sometimes accidentally type "teh." He or she probably typed "apostel" or some such.

KareNin wrote:Second, the copy editor using Spell Check notices a word is highlighted, and hurriedly selects "apostate" as the suggested corrected spelling. I'm sorry, but did the brain even participate in this decision? Spell Check is meant to be used as a tool to get the writer to take a closer look at a suspected misspelled word, within the context of the story or caption. It's a red flag that says "WAIT! Is this the word you really meant?" It is not an omniscient gap-filler that enables even sloppy writers to write successfully without having to learn to spell.

You're probably right that the brain didn't participate in this one. Carelessness is the culprit here, not maliciousness. Lots of careless people do that with Spell Check all the time.

KareNin wrote:I used to be a copy editor on a campus newspaper, so maybe I do notice little errors that many people do not, but that word jumped out at me as soon as I saw the caption, and I am sure it did for lots of others. It's just too big a stretch to think it was an innocent error overlooked by several people in the process.

But look at the other possibility. You're saying that it was deliberate. For that to work, all of the dozen or so people who saw the front page of the paper would have to be in on the conspiracy to play a prank and print "Apostates" instead of "Apostles." Every single person. There could be no dissenters, or the prank would be blown. Come on -- there's just no way that would happen.

The far more likely explanation is that the typo got into the paper the same way typos get into papers *every single day* -- simple carelessness. When you're scanning a proof looking for errors, you're looking for things that jump out. "Apostates" wasn't misspelled, so it would only jump out if you read the context. And when you're scanning, you're not reading the context.

Consider also that the Daily Universe's Monday edition is usually put together almost entirely on Saturday, with only last-minute things left for the Sabbath. General Conference coverage means tighter deadlines and a more hectic pace for a staff that's usually very light on the weekends. It's Sunday, no one wants to be there, everyone wants to hurry up and finish. It's no surprise a mistake like that made it into the paper.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 07:54 am

EricDSnider wrote:But look at the other possibility. You're saying that it was deliberate. For that to work, all of the dozen or so people who saw the front page of the paper would have to be in on the conspiracy to play a prank and print "Apostates" instead of "Apostles."

In this specific instance, yes.

If the "dozen or so" people who saw the caption before it hit the stands were NOT all "in on the prank," yet not one of those twelve literate, devout LDS people saw a group picture of General Authorities, at the Semi-Annual General Conference, and the word "APOSTATES" didn't just jump out at them, then maybe it's more accurate to say that no one reads the captions under photos anyway. The "context," in this case, speaks for itself. It's not like "teh" and "the."

We did a much, much smaller paper, and I don't really know the circumstances of putting out a Daily Herald, with Sabbath limitations and all that. So maybe I'm just blowing hot air. (Yeah, probably.) But if it wasn't a deliberate prank, I wonder if ANYONE along the way caught the error, but just let it slide because they thought it was too late to do anything about it, knowing that correcting it would mean pulling all the copies and re-printing and missing deadline, when maybe nobody would notice it anyway.

Possibly it just disturbs me that sloppiness and carelessness have become more acceptable in journalism than a deliberate college prank.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 08:05 am

I'm with the unintentional and hilarious camp on this one.

Bottom line: The Daily Universe sucks.

With the exception of Snide Remarks and Police Beat the DU was always a joke. We always read it, but it was never taken seriously as a news source. It was just the only news source we had for BYU stuff.

The editorial writing is often very weak as well. I used to read it periodically after graduation, just to see what was going on, and I stopped because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 08:17 am

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:With the exception of Snide Remarks and Police Beat the DU was always a joke.
That is SO not true, Lowdog.

I read it for three things:
- Snide Remarks
- Police Beat
- Reprints of Calvin and Hobbes

Don't forget that third one!
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 08:43 am

Okay. Well, I can see you guys' point of view. I remember getting very frustrated and upset with the writers who didn't give a snit about their copy, because it was "just an assignment for J-class" and they said everybody regarded the campus newspaper as a big joke anyhow.

Being a boring old grown-up by then, I actually wanted to bring up the quality of the paper to non-joke status. But horsing around and putting stuff off till the last minute were the more prevalent state of mind.

All right, it was an innocent--though sloppy and lazy--error.

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 08:48 am

I think that the mistake was intentional by the person who made it to see if they could get it past everyone else. I played with the Spell Checker in InDesign (which they were really quick to blame) a little bit and no matter how I misspelled Apostle, Apostate was always a few down the list.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 09:08 am

Satan Claus and I agree with you, Jason.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 09:16 am

Or maybe saying "The Twelve Apostates" is a joke that some of them use in their own small groups, and it subconsciously came out in the typist's fingers, and she was in too much of a hurry to notice.

I could easily see it as one person, or two, doing it on purpose to see if they could get it through, kind of an April Fool's joke, and the rest of them just not noticing, too. But it definitely seems like SOMEONE should have caught it.

Return to “Religion”