Hallelujah!

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

PyroFalkon

Hallelujah!

Postby PyroFalkon » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:19 pm

Thanks to Wal-Mart, I'm subjected to nine hours of Christmas music non-stop per day. It's starting to drive me nutty, but it did remind me of a question I've had for awhile...

What precisely does "hallelujah" mean? Or does it mean nothing and is just the Aramaic version of going "woot!"? I find it strange that either way, the word has managed to survive this long when I hear it in zero other context other than certain Christmas carols.

Mark my words: "PyroFalkon" will survive for centuries too. Because I am awesome.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:50 pm

Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:15 pm

For those who do not want to go to the Wikipedia article:

It means "Praise Yah" where "Yah" is a shortened version of "Yahweh" aka Jehovah.

So the modern version of shouting "Praise God," "Praise Jesus," etc. is equivalent to shouting "Hallelujah!" Literally.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:03 pm

"HalleluPyro!" just doesn't have that flow...

Maybe it will take some getting used to. PF, perhaps if you write some songs to be sung nonstop on a seasonal basis using the phrase generously, it will catch on.

Otherwise, Bud, I'm thinkin' you may just have to settle for being a Legend in Your Own Mind.

I mean, sure, you're awesome. But honestly--being God is a tough act to follow.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

PyroFalkon

Postby PyroFalkon » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:51 pm

Yeah, I don't think I could top the oodles of Christmas carols out there. But taking some inspiration from your location list, maybe we can change "Cleveland Rocks" to "Pyro Rocks." It's more true anyway, as we all know that Cleveland and all its sports teams are basically on the same level as a cockroach that is rummaging around a junkyard: Technically it's not hurting anything, but no one would care if it just went away forever.

That's it! From now on, September 22 is a national holiday. My birthday shall be celebrated throughout the country, with millions of voices joining in unison that I rock, and my strategy guides are the best pieces of writing ever! And then everyone can send me cake and presents.

Mmm... cake and presents...

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:52 pm

Sorry...?

Cleveland has sports teams ????

You'd think I woulda heard something about that, as long as I've lived here. All I knew about Cleveland is that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is there, and Drew Carey used to be, but now he has a huge place out in Thousand Oaks, California.

Huh. Sports teams! Wonder what they're called... :roll:
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Return to “Religion”