More than one?

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Karenins_SuperSon

More than one?

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:23 pm

Okay, I was updating my information on my Church web account and noticed that under the Stake Leadership, there was the following heading:
Patriarch(s)

Plural. You can have more than one Stake Patriarch? Under what circumstances would you have more than one. It reminded me of the comment a bit ago where someone mentioned that in their ward they have two of everything (two bishops, etc.).

But seriously, when would you have more than one Stake Patriarch? It's a life-long calling, right? If one was no longer able to perform his duties?
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:35 pm

We had two not that long ago. Patriarch Killian got old, and the stake got big, so they called Patriarch Mann to handle the majority of the load. I would guess it would be the age factor that would prompt it.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:03 am

Yeah, my grandpa is a patriarch in his stake. About a month ago he was diagnosed with stomach cancer, and further tests showed the cancer had already spread to lymph nodes throughout his body. He started chemo on Halloween and is currently in the hospital dealing with the side effects. He is supposed to start his second round of chemo next Friday. I doubt he's going to be able to give any blessings during his treatment. I don't know if the stake is going to call another patriarch to help, or if people needing blessings will go to a neighboring stake patriarch.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 01:09 am

It is a lifelong calling but that doesn't mean that each patriarch is always assigned to a stake. There are lots of (we'll call) "inactive" patriarchs that are not currently called as a "stake patriarch".

At the same time, due to the amount of people in a stake or the geographical layout of the stake, there can be more than one. There were two Stake Patriarchs when I got my blessing. The one that did my blessing covered Eagle River, and there was another one that did the blessings in Anchorage (or at least, the part of Anchorage that was in our stake).
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 09:37 am

Here in TX there is a Spanish ward included in the stake. I believe there are two patriarchs--one Spanish-speaking, the other not. And I can affirm that there is at least one "inactive" patriarch in the stake, since he's my husband's grandfather.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:20 am

We recently had our stake patriarch announce that he and his wife were going to serve a mission. The Sunday before they left was stake conference and the new patriarch's name was announced.

I do believe that if the first man's family members seek their blessing they can get it from him (post mission, of course) with the Stake President's permission, otherwise he is effectively emeritus.

Also a bit of trivia, a patriarch calling comes from the Quorum of the Twelve. The Stake President will suggest a few names, but the actual decision is done at the apostle level.

jds88

Postby jds88 » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:06 pm

It is a lifelong calling but that doesn't mean that each patriarch is always assigned to a stake. There are lots of (we'll call) "inactive" patriarchs that are not currently called as a "stake patriarch".

Technically, "Patriarch" is also a priesthood office (just like Elder or High Priest). Once a patriarch, always a patriarch (unless you are later ordained as a Seventy or an Apostle).

--Jim

Return to “Religion”