Elder Wirthlin passed away.

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Lowdoggy Dogg

Elder Wirthlin passed away.

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 08:45 am

I always enjoyed reading his talks (more than listening to be honest).

He had a great sense of humor and warmth.

He was 91.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 09:41 am

He had a great sense of humor, true.

If I remember correctly, I think he cracked a few "old man" jokes at Pres. Hinckley when he had the cane.

Anyway, great man. The average age of the Quorum of the Twelve keeps dropping slightly.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 07:07 pm

Does anyone know if he was related to President Hinckley, since they both had the same middle name, which I assume was their mothers' maiden name? Or did I just make that up?

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 08:05 pm

They were cousins. At least that's what Lloyd Newell said in my Teachings of the Living Prophets class back in the day.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 07:50 pm

Additionally, this means that Elder Perry is now the youngest oldest apostle (86 years, 4 months) in more than 50 years, since President J. Reuben Clark was that age in February 1958. This is the first time since 1996 that none of the 1st Presidency or 12 have been in their 90s, and will be the longest gap without one (at least until August 2012) without one since 1925-1961.

Even though he was 91, I was still shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. I guess I work through grief by recalibrating statistics. I liked him and I'll miss him.
[url=http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/]http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/[/url]

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 09:49 pm

Ryan Reeder wrote:I guess I work through grief by recalibrating statistics. I liked him and I'll miss him.

(smile)
www.NewMoneyMama.com

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 08:35 am

Neat post, Ryan.

Elder Perry was the first Apostle I was in the same room with. It was a very LARGE room (entire MTC sacrament meeting) but I remember noting in my journal how cool it was to partake of the sacrament in a meeting with one of the Twelve.

Now that time has passed, your statistics tell me that Elder Perry was 56 years old at the time, which is only three years older than I am now. Puts things in perspective for me.

Those who live outside the corridor have fewer opportunities to meet GAs. I met several members of the 70 on my mission; in fact, my mission president (Busche) was one. The only other Apostles I had the opportunity to meet were Elder (at the time) Monson, who visited my mission and met with all the missionaries, and Elder Packer, who issued my first calling immediately upon my return from my mission at the dividing of my home stake.

I don't know if I ever told the story of when I met Elder Monson. I was fresh on my mission, two weeks in country, when he visited. All of the missionaries were called to the stake center in Munich, where Elder Monson stood at the podium and had each missionary stand and tell their name and where they were from. I was a very recent convert, having left for the MTC only one week after my required year membership anniversary. As each missionary said who they were, Elder Monson would ask, is your father or mother so and so? When the missionary would say yes, or correct him by saying no, that's an uncle or aunt, Elder Monson would launch into a story about someone in the missionary's family. I thought I was witnessing miraculous discernment. Then when my turn came, I knew that I was the only member of my family in the church, but was still a little disappointed when Elder Monson said, I'm sorry, Elder, but I've got nothing for you. I only later found out that Pres. Monson has eidetic (photographic) memory, and that his frequent trips to Europe involved having him memorize and recite training materials for the East Germans who were allowed to worship but were not permitted to import written religious materials. Still, the experience was one of the most significant ones in my life.

I wonder if Ryan would be willing to give some statistics around the oldest youngest Apostle. I suspect that previous groups were much more stretched out in age than the current group. Elder Bednar was seemingly young when he was called, but he had to have been at least 15 years older than Elder Monson was when he was called. And I'm not sure Elder Monson was even the youngest.

Edited to add: Elder Wirthlin's nephew served in my mission. I remember his love for his uncle, who was at that time a GA but not a member of the Twelve. I thought it was cool at the time that someone I worked with had a GA relative. Since that time, the uncle was called to the Quorum of the Twelve and my Elder Wirthlin's father was called to the Seventy (since released). My feelings about Apostle Wirthlin were that I loved to read his talks, but didn't usually like to hear him speak. Some of the members of the Quorum are such excellent speakers, and they set a really high bar. But in reading the talks later, Elder Wirthlin's were among my favorites. I bet he was a lot more fun to talk with one-on-one than to listen to from the pulpit. I will truly miss his talks, and my heart goes out to his family.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Return to “Religion”