Religious Views of Contraceptives

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

No votes
No votes
Yes... and I'll explain in a post as to why it is wrong.
No votes
No... but only in circumstances of rape and/or incest.
7%
No... if she is married and the couple's regular contraceptive failed.
No votes
No... it is an option whether the woman is married or not.
79%
No... and I'll explain in a post as to why it is not wrong.
14%

Total votes: 14

~Zesdy~

Religious Views of Contraceptives

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Sun 22 Mar, 2009 02:06 pm

Contraceptives and religion... there have been varying views for a while now. Then comes the morning-after pill. What's your opinion of [url=http://www.go2planb.com/]Plan B

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 22 Mar, 2009 09:10 pm

So, it states on the front page of the site that it does not terminate existing pregnancies. It seems then that Plan B makes conditions unfavorable for the sperm to enter the clubhouse. Is that about right?

If so, how is that different from the regular pill? Or spermicide?

Just asking, not planning on placing an order...
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Sun 22 Mar, 2009 09:36 pm

I'm not against contraception, but I'm with Adhis on wondering how this is different from the pill.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Benny

Postby Benny » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:37 am

AFAIK (from health class) it does roughly the same thing- regulating hormones to prevent ovulation. The pill is more effective. Plan B is a larger dose, not quite as effective.

Plan B makes conditions unfavorable for the sperm to enter the clubhouse

It doesn't actually do that. It either prevents ovulation, or leaves the egg with no where to go by messing with the cycle.

As the egg is not viable there is no fertilization. I don't personally consider it wrong... but as an unmarried and childless male I don't have a viable opinion
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:49 am

How is Plan B different from a regular birth control pill? It is not different at all. This is something that the advocates of Plan B have been trying to communicate for YEARS. Plan B is exactly the same as a regular birth control pill, except stronger. It is a higher dose of the hormones in a regular birth control pill, which prevent ovulation and therefore prevent fertilization of an egg. Simple as that.

So while it is much more effective to take a regular birth control pill every day, Plan B does the exact same thing in a single pill.

I have never understood the vehement opposition that so many people have toward Plan B. I suspect it is a result of them not knowing how it works.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:57 am

Initially misinformed pro-lifers (there are still those that are misinformed) thought it caused a termination. However, there are some that are informed and still have issue with it.

HOW DOES PLAN B WORK?
Plan B works through delaying or preventing ovulation, by interfering with fertilization (inhibiting the movement of the egg or the sperm through the fallopian tube), and may inhibit implantation by altering the lining of the uterus.( http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/p ... ption.html )

The bold section is where I have observed where most of the current controversy lies. In instances where ovulation has already occurred and, if the woman waited until the last day to take the 1st pill, there is a possibility that there could be a fertilized egg. Some consider that life. That is why some have issue with in-vitro fertilization, where several ova are fertilized

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:11 pm

There were a couple of girls in my singles ward that got pregnant - one got pregnant twice! I always wondered how they could let it happen. Sure, in the heat of the moment unplanned things can happen. But usually you've gotten pretty close already - I don't know many people who can go straight from hand-holding to sex without a chance to stop and consider what the repercussions of your actions will be. I've always thought that if you find yourself heading in that direction it's time to take precautions. It doesn't make it okay, just helps you prevent the physical consequences of your actions, though not the moral, emotional, or psychological consequences.

Now there is an alternative for girls/women who live in such a state of denial that they refuse to recognize they're on the verge of committing a major sin.

My husband and I feel strongly that we should teach the use of contraception to our children in addition to teaching them abstinence. Of course, that's easy for us to decide as we don't have children yet. But we also plan to teach them why it's important to wait until marriage, not just that sex is a sin.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

The Don

Postby The Don » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 05:49 pm

lilcis wrote:My husband and I feel strongly that we should teach the use of contraception to our children in addition to teaching them abstinence. Of course, that's easy for us to decide as we don't have children yet. But we also plan to teach them why it's important to wait until marriage, not just that sex is a sin.

Ditto.
I like traffic lights.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 07:46 pm

Besides the obvious reasons... I'm curious what others also consider the why(s) to wait.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:26 pm

Mainly, the strength of the bond that intercourse creates between two people, and when that bond is taken so casually it can have detrimental effects on a person's psyche. And when it's taken seriously it's a wonderful experience and therefore something to be savored and worth waiting for.

When you don't take it seriously you experience temporary pleasure but miss out on the long term joy. . .

It's a wonderful blessing that's not to be wasted on the wrong person. . .

I'm sure I have a few more but I'm in class right now and really should be concentrating on what the instructor is saying.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:32 pm

I think sometimes our young women are overly prepared to defend their virtue against the evil boy who tries to talk them into having sex, and not quite prepared enough for the possibility that they might have to fight their own desires. When a girl thinks she's really in love, she doesn't think any of the warnings apply. And I think a lot of pregnancies happen because they think they won't actually go "all the way," and using birth control would mean they planned to have sex, and that seems more sinful than just losing control.

The first line of defense has to be staying out of situations where it could happen. But try and tell your daughters that!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:47 pm

lilcis wrote:My husband and I feel strongly that we should teach the use of contraception to our children in addition to teaching them abstinence. Of course, that's easy for us to decide as we don't have children yet. But we also plan to teach them why it's important to wait until marriage, not just that sex is a sin.

I don't have any children, but I agree with this philosophy. I also would have my daughters vaccinated against the virus that causes cervical cancer. I can't understand parents who put their daughters at risk for a potentially fatal disease because they will be safe as long as they marry virgins, marry as virgins and both parties subsequently stay faithful. Too many things can go wrong, including rape, sexual abuse and unfaithful partners. Better to be safe, in my opinion.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:56 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I think sometimes our young women are overly prepared to defend their virtue against the evil boy who tries to talk them into having sex, and not quite prepared enough for the possibility that they might have to fight their own desires. When a girl thinks she's really in love, she doesn't think any of the warnings apply. And I think a lot of pregnancies happen because they think they won't actually go "all the way," and using birth control would mean they planned to have sex, and that seems more sinful than just losing control.

What a great comment.

At least I'm happy to see that they might actually have desires. Too often in the church the relentless drumbeating against sex makes it difficult for girls to transition into a post-marriage environment. Boys seem to have fewer problems, and perhaps that is because I have never seen a lesson where guys were warned against the evil girl who might seduce them. The lessons about respecting young women and not trying to get them to do something they know is wrong don't plant as strong an anti-sex message in their brains as the reverse. Try as we might, we still put too much pressure on girls to act as chastity gatekeepers, but perhaps biology necessitates that. There is a huge difference in level of responsibility between perhaps getting someone pregnant vs. perhaps getting pregnant.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 08:54 am

WiseNLucky wrote:

At least I'm happy to see that they might actually have desires. Too often in the church the relentless drumbeating against sex makes it difficult for girls to transition into a post-marriage environment. Boys seem to have fewer problems, and perhaps that is because I have never seen a lesson where guys were warned against the evil girl who might seduce them. The lessons about respecting young women and not trying to get them to do something they know is wrong don't plant as strong an anti-sex message in their brains as the reverse. Try as we might, we still put too much pressure on girls to act as chastity gatekeepers, but perhaps biology necessitates that. There is a huge difference in level of responsibility between perhaps getting someone pregnant vs. perhaps getting pregnant.

AMEN
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

Card

Postby Card » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 10:57 am

Whoa. How did I miss this topic? Awesome.

That Plan B thing doesn't really sound that much different than birth control.

Also... I really like my female doctor, but almost every time I go in there, she tries to get me to take pre-natal vitamins. I know that she's thinking that she's accustomed to those mormon girls who don't think they'll have sex and then get pregnant, but, well, I am the exception to that. Really. And so, one time she said that I should take them just in case I get raped. I thought that was pretty funny. I'm all for preparing for the worst, but I'm even more for not worrying about birth control or prenatal vitamins if I'm not going to have sex. I am weird enough in my singlehood without help of hormone-altering devices/pills that load up my digestive system with high amounts of particular vitamins.

kati

Postby kati » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:34 am

With Plan B, you can take it after the initial "doing it" vs. taking birth control pills for a month beforehand which means you planned on being sexually active, which is the big no no :oops:

jds88

Postby jds88 » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 04:55 pm

perhaps that is because I have never seen a lesson where guys were warned against the evil girl who might seduce them.

Am I the only one who saw that "armor of God" video in seminary? The one where it shows Roman soldiers taking off their armor and going for a swimming and getting attacked by arrows; and then it cuts to a would-be "future missionary" at a party being led off to a bedroom by a girl?

--Jim

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 05:39 pm

jds88 wrote:Am I the only one who saw that "armor of God" video in seminary? The one where it shows Roman soldiers taking off their armor and going for a swimming and getting attacked by arrows; and then it cuts to a would-be "future missionary" at a party being led off to a bedroom by a girl?

--Jim

I dunno...Were you in the room by yourself?

But seriously, I understand your point. I have no clue what young men in the Church are being taught, now or at any other time; I was well into my 20s when I was introduced to the Church and then baptized. My husband grew up with the chastity teachings so deeply ingrained in him that the repercussions have been a source of some of the serious problems in our marriage from time to time. It's as if he never quite "got" that the feelings, desires, actions, etc. are perfectly okay, after you're married. Going into further detail would be revealing more than I am comfortable with, but I just want WiseGuy to know that, although in general, maybe "Boys seem to have fewer problems transitioning into the marriage environment," there ARE some boys for whom the drumbeat was a little too loud and relentless.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 06:05 pm

Not me. I transitioned very nicely, THANKYOUVERYMUCH.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 06:34 pm

Thank you for the Stout Reports.

Return to “Religion”