Major Differences

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

~Zesdy~

Major Differences

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 09:32 pm

I'm not admitting this because I am thinking of changing my religion, but I am being taught by a different religion (for the last couple months). I have enjoyed their visits and the discussions we have been having. I have also discovered that there is a lot of similarities and not too many differences. True we have only begun but it has caused me to wonder what are the major differences between the LDS church and other religions. For those that know... what are the major differences? I want to be prepared when one of those differences come up, not only now but in the future.

The Don

Postby The Don » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 09:58 pm

Continuing prophets and associated continuing revelation, the authority of the priesthood restored, and The Book of Mormon.
I like traffic lights.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 11:18 pm

I already know what separates the LDS church from others... I'm talking more about things such as The Trinity and other such beliefs. Things that both religions have but differ and why they differ. I hope that offers more clarity.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 07:54 am

The afterlife. Major, major differences in what specifically happens after you die. I'm not talking "heaven for believers/hell for non-believers". My view, as the outside viewer of the Mormon faith, is that you have a "tiered system" based on how you behaved in this life, what you did or didn't do. Most other Christian-based faiths, it's more about just making it though the gates. Once we're in heaven, everyone is pretty much on even footing, there to serve God, sing praises, that sort of thing. This is also the main reason why I think I'll see plenty of my Mormon friends in heaven, as we both believe in Christ as our saviour, it's just which one of us will be surprised by how heaven is run that'll be the big surprise.

I could get into a lot more detail, but I'm going to want my Bible in front of me first. Sometimes it's easy to get confused and mix what the Bible says along with general popular ideals and conventions.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 12:38 pm

Another problem you are going to run into is that most people don't believe what their church tells them to believe, and many don't even know what their church believes in the first place. On my mission, when I mentioned that we believe our families will survive in the same relationship beyond the grave, many of them said, "Oh, I believe that too!" They were quite shocked when we told them their church did not believe that.

Same with the Trinity. We didn't go so far as to tell people that because they believed, like we do, that Jesus and Heavenly Father are separate beings, their church leaders would consider them non-Christian, because my mission was before said church leaders thought to make such claims. Back in the good old days, other Christian churches who knew what we believed had no problem with us calling ourselves Christians. Of course, most of them knew so little about us that they perpetuated many mistruths out of ignorance, and not ill intent. These days the mistruths seem to be spread without ignorance, but with ill intent.

Good luck in your studies.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 01:56 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:Another problem you are going to run into is that most people don't believe what their church tells them to believe, and many don't even know what their church believes in the first place.

Word.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 02:14 pm

KMD wrote:
WiseNLucky wrote:Another problem you are going to run into is that most people don't believe what their church tells them to believe, and many don't even know what their church believes in the first place.

Word.

A whole bunch of them, even. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 05:51 pm

One thing I had not particularly known before is that most religions don't believe in any kind of pre-existence.

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 10:28 pm

when I mentioned that we believe our families will survive in the same relationship beyond the grave, many of them said, "Oh, I believe that too!" They were quite shocked when we told them their church did not believe that.
I'm not aware of any church that makes a specific doctrinal claims that we will not be with our loved ones in the afterlife; rather some churches merely lack of a specific positive doctrinal claim that they will. Personally, I think the belief that God is benevolent and just - which is pretty consistent across Christian denominations - is sufficient to support the position that if being with your family and good and desirable then families will be reunited.

The typical missionary shpiel that the doctrines of other churches suggest families will be separated is, IMO, a bit misleading. And don't forget the flip side of this - that LDS family members who achieve different levels of worthiness are going to be separated into different kingdoms. This is an explicit doctrine of separation which is in some ways worse than the belief held by many other Christians that all essentially good people will live together again in a single heaven.
goto 10

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:50 pm

Matt wrote:I'm not aware of any church that makes a specific doctrinal claims that we will not be with our loved ones in the afterlife; rather some churches merely lack of a specific positive doctrinal claim that they will.

When I lived in Tennessee, I accompanied the missionaries in their visits with a particular family. We went there a lot and enjoyed each others' company. The breaking point for them was that they didn't believe that families would be together in the afterlife, as that is not what the wife's church taught. They believed that familial relationships would be irrelevant and we would all be a community of angels (for lack of a better term). The idea that we would still retain and want our familial relationships was such a "wrong" idea for them that they decided to never let us in their home again.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:51 pm

Momma Snider wrote:One thing I had not particularly known before is that most religions don't believe in any kind of pre-existence.

Ditto.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 07:19 am

Matt wrote:
when I mentioned that we believe our families will survive in the same relationship beyond the grave, many of them said, "Oh, I believe that too!" They were quite shocked when we told them their church did not believe that.
I'm not aware of any church that makes a specific doctrinal claims that we will not be with our loved ones in the afterlife; rather some churches merely lack of a specific positive doctrinal claim that they will. Personally, I think the belief that God is benevolent and just - which is pretty consistent across Christian denominations - is sufficient to support the position that if being with your family and good and desirable then families will be reunited.

Actually, our very limited success on this topic led local Catholic and Protestant leaders to hold public forums where they denounced our claims that families would continue beyond death. They claimed that belief in same was very detrimental because it tended to supplant the individual's relationship with God with a relationship with people. I had never thought of it that way before, and found the thought process behind such an argument to be quite effective, even if I disagreed with it.

The typical missionary shpiel that the doctrines of other churches suggest families will be separated is, IMO, a bit misleading.

Is that a typical missionary spiel? I know that neither I nor anyone I ever worked with taught this concept in the negative way you described. Perhaps its because we believe families will have the opportunity to be together whether people join the church right now or not. I always taught the concept in a positive way - that we may be together, and not that others will be separated. I find it interesting that many movies and TV shows present death as a time of reuniting with loved ones who passed before us. Many people believe this. But the Catholic and Lutheran leaders at the time of my mission taught against this concept quite strenuously. Maybe that belief system has shifted since the 1970s?

And don't forget the flip side of this - that LDS family members who achieve different levels of worthiness are going to be separated into different kingdoms. This is an explicit doctrine of separation which is in some ways worse than the belief held by many other Christians that all essentially good people will live together again in a single heaven.

Good point, although I tend to look at this in the positive as well. It makes me want to live up to my potential so I will be with my family. And I have such a strong faith in the atonement that I try not to let negativity affect my decisions now. I am no one's judge; far be it from me to believe that anyone has done something for which they cannot repent.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 07:25 am

Momma Snider wrote:One thing I had not particularly known before is that most religions don't believe in any kind of pre-existence.

Being a convert, I was totally unaware of the concept of premortal existence, but liked it immediately upon hearing it. It answered so many questions!

Another concept that many religions don't believe is the concept of resurrection the way we believe it. Even with the clear bible description of Christ and his post-resurrection physical body, most people believe that God and Jesus are spirits, and that we will remain that way too after we die.

One kind of cool concept that some religions believe, but that we don't, is the idea of reincarnation. I think that would be so cool!
WiseNLucky

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 07:30 am

There's that story in the Bible where someone asks Jesus about 7 brothers, the oldest one marries a woman, then dies, then his brother marries her, then dies, and so on down the line until all 7 have married her, died, then she dies, so in heaven who is her husband, and Jesus' response is that people will neither marry nor be given in marriage in heaven. Matthew 22:24-31. All I can think is "How is this woman offing 7 husbands and no one's noticed until after she's dead?" :D But yeah, Adhis is right, other religions think you aren't broken up into family units in heaven, you're all one big happy family of God. Besides, there's not supposed to be any pain in Heaven, and my family can be a right pain at time, so, QED.

Adhis and Matt are also right, about a pre-existance. God has a plan in place long before, but as for me being somewhere before I was in my Momma's tummy, that is not preached by other Christian beliefs. That sounds a lot closer to Hindu-type teachings, like with reincarnation. And seriously, I know people who profess to be Christian, who will also tell you they remember things from their "past lives", and what they would like to be reincarnated as, and that they believe in ghosts/spirits of the dead talking to them. Yeah, um, does not compute? Makes my brain hurt.

Great book, written by Tim Lahaye (the guy who wrote the Left Behind series, but this is non-fiction) called "Revelation Unveiled" where he goes through the entire chapter of Revelations and talks about the sequence of events through the end days, resurrection, and after. It really, really lays out what Christian churches teach, but in more detail than most of them actually teach it. Most churches just kind of gloss over it all, it's all "If you believe in Christ, you'll go to heaven in the rapture, if you don't you go to Hell. Good works won't save you. End Chapter, Close Book, The End. " But there's so much more the Bible has to say on the subject, but Revelations is a tough read, so a lot of people skim it, or gloss over it. But this book really breaks it down. My copy is dogeared and well worn. Highly recommended reading, if you're wanting to know in more detail what other Christian religions believe.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 07:36 am

KMD wrote:Great book, written by Tim Lahaye (the guy who wrote the Left Behind series, but this is non-fiction) called "Revelation Unveiled" where he goes through the entire chapter of Revelations and talks about the sequence of events through the end days, resurrection, and after. It really, really lays out what Christian churches teach, but in more detail than most of them actually teach it.

When I was a teenager, I read The Late, Great Planet Earth which had a similar theme. I wonder how the two authors compare and contrast?
WiseNLucky

jds88

Postby jds88 » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:09 am

I think another difference is that most mainline Christians I've talked to believe that our conscious existence ceases between death and the resurrection; whereas Mormonism teaches we remain conscious as disembodied spirits.

Matt wrote:The typical missionary shpiel that the doctrines of other churches suggest families will be separated is, IMO, a bit misleading.

In my experience: Yes, I think that is a pretty typical missionary shpiel. Personally, I don't believe it for a second. Joseph Smith said that the same sociality that exists here will exist in the hereafter, and he didn't qualify that statement by limiting it to people who happen to make it to the same kingdom. We won't be on equal spiritual planes; but I think it's very misleading for a missionary to represent LDS doctrine as pronouncing that people who don't make it to the highest kingdom of glory will never be permitted to fraternize with their more exalted loved ones.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 01:30 pm

Another one that I didn't realize until just recently is that mainstream Christians (at least the group on the radio station I listen to) don't believe that animals have souls.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 04:36 pm

I remember a conversation I had with a friend when I was in high school, where she asked me why we (mormons) didn't wear crosses. I told her that we chose to focus on the resurrection rather than the death of Christ, and the atonement that happened in the Garden of Gethsemane. I was surprised to learn that she wasn't familiar with the Garden of Gethsemane, and thought maybe that was just a Mormon belief. But I checked when I got home, and sure enough it's there in the Bible.

But maybe some religions preach that the atonement happened on the cross?
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 05:36 pm

Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane is another one of those things that gets kind of glossed over when teaching the masses, but, it's there. Honestly, you guys wouldn't believe how many people I know who call themselves Christians who have never even read the entire Bible cover to cover. It's a shame.

jds88

Postby jds88 » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 09:13 pm

From what I can glean, a lot of (probably not all) Christian denominations seem to hold that Gethsemane is more where Jesus finally comprehended the nature of the atonement He was about to make--but was not actually making it yet.

Return to “Religion”