Articles of Faith

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Articles of Faith

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:07 pm

I'm wondering how many of you could recite the Articles of Faith with a little prompting, like key words or something. When did you learn them?

I can, but it seems like it's pretty rare these days. I "had" to learn them before I turned 12; it was standard for graduating from Primary. And we had to recite them all in Sacrament meeting, too. I suppose there were exceptions made for kids who really couldn't do it, but it was expected that most could. We didn't have the songs to help us, either. And then in about 1987 my kids who were in Primary worked on them, using the songs, and we worked on them at home at the same time, so my five younger kids all learned them. I don't know if Eric ever did or not, since he was already 13 by then, but I know that even Joy, who was 4, was able to wecite them all, even though she couldn't pwonounce all the wowds.

I don't know if they all could still do it or not, but helping them learn them reinforced them in my head, so I still know them now. But in almost every situation I've been in where it's come up, I'm the only one in the room who can say them word for word.

So someone please tell me I'm not the only one!

ImAdhis

Re: Articles of Faith

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:22 pm

There is always one weird person in our class who can recite it, but that's about it. ;)

We were required to learn them and recite them before turning 12 when I was in Primary, but my teacher got lax on the requirement when my birthday came around. I was her "favorite" (I was the only non-terror student) and as I was about to say "I don't know all of them" when she said, "I know you know them" and that was it. So, I never learned them.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 06:52 am

Had to memorize them when I was 12, and with a little prompting they do come back. So no, MommaS, you're not alone.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Card

Postby Card » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 11:53 am

I learned them in primary when I was 11 or so. I can recite them without prompting, but I get 10 - 12 mixed up in their order sometimes. I also used to know them in Spanish, but I would definitely need prompting for those now.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm

I had to learn them in Primary (I'm about a year younger than Eric). There are only a few that I can recite with only the article number, but I can recite most of them with hints.

My six year old passed off the ninth Article of Faith on Sunday. He knew it better than I did.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:22 pm

I learned them when I was 12, but I know them better in Spanish now than I do in English, but I am generally bad about the order.

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 02:13 pm

There was a push shortly before I turned 12 (I think it was 1987) when I learned them, and being fortunate enough to have a pretty good memory, they've stuck ever since.

Everyone knows Nursery Rhymes, right? "Jack and Jill," "Humpty Dumpty," and a bunch of others are stuck up there even though you don't go over them very often? That's pretty much how it is with me. I don't think I could forget them if I tried.

I suspect a lot, most or nearly all kids are kind of like that--learn it once, keep it forever? Maybe it has something to do with so recently gaining a memory, usually somewhere between 2-4 years old--which is also about the same time kids are able to comprehend and speak a language. Anybody know more about this than my vague theories?

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 02:53 pm

Ryan, you should do a "speed recitation" of the Articles of Faith. I'd watch that for free on YouTube.

Benny

Postby Benny » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 10:11 pm

thanks to the musical versions I can still do them
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

Return to “Religion”