Baptism Question

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

lilcis

Baptism Question

Postby lilcis » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 05:18 pm

So I'm heading up to NorCal for my nephew's baptism this weekend, and I'm trying to remember - do you give gifts to kids for their baptism? And if so, what kind of gift is appropriate? Or would just a card do? Or is showing up enough?
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 06:29 pm

You can do any of those things, but really, showing up and offering your congratulatory words and hugs is indeed enough.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:16 pm

For family I tend to give a card and a little something to commemorate his or her special day. Here's a couple ideas of what to give a boy:

http://deseretbook.com/item/4918722/Baptism_Tie_Tac

http://deseretbook.com/item/4479403/CTR_Necktie

http://deseretbook.com/item/2687461/Art ... Cards_Book

For my own children I got 'em scriptures with their own name engraved.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:30 pm

Nobody ever gave my kids gifts, but even back then I went to a few where the baptizees really raked in the stuff. One of the occasions was so extreme that I thought it was inappropriate, like the givers were competing. Maybe it depends on how many nieces and nephews you have.

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 03:57 pm

The only gifts I received were some from very close family friends. They gave me was stuff that I would need in cub scouts (like a book and neck thingy), which I started right after being baptized.
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! There's a Deseret Book & Distribution Center on the way to my sister's house so I'm planning to stop there to pick something up.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:01 pm

I remember an aunt of mine gave me a dozen white roses on my baptism day. Most of my extended family, including this aunt, is Catholic and several belong to different Protestant faiths. Given the difference in our religious affiliations, it meant a lot to have them there supporting me, period. But I especially remember those white roses and how fancy and special they made me feel, and how nice it was that she chose the color white because of its symbolism in the baptismal ordinance.

I realize a nephew may think flowers are lame (and that the baptism in question is already over anyway), but I just wanted to share anyway in case you have some nieces' baptisms to attend in the future. :)
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:44 am

That's cool, Audrey! I do have a niece getting baptised in March, I'll keep that in mind for her.

Return to “Religion”