Crazy Mormon-hating TV Show Say What Now?

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

KareNin

Re: Crazy Mormon-hating TV Show Say What Now?

Postby KareNin » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 10:30 pm

Well, that is a refreshing step forward, I think. I hope other writers will do the same kind of thing when they have the opportunity to correct misinformation like that.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:39 am

I was listening to the radio on the way to work, and they were talking about Brandon Davies and the BYU basketball team and the honor code and everything. They were all pretty much supportive of BYU, even though they thought the restrictions were pretty stiff, but basically they all agreed that if a guy doesn't want to follow the code, he shouldn't sign the agreement and shouldn't attend that school. But Todd Donaho, the sportscaster who was doing most of the talking, said that the honor code includes no alcohol, no premarital sex, and no caffeine. No Coke or Pepsi.

I don't drink them, but I don't think there would be nearly as much disagreement over it in the Church if it was actually in the BYU Honor Code.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 02:58 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I was listening to the radio on the way to work, and they were talking about Brandon Davies and the BYU basketball team and the honor code and everything. They were all pretty much supportive of BYU, even though they thought the restrictions were pretty stiff, but basically they all agreed that if a guy doesn't want to follow the code, he shouldn't sign the agreement and shouldn't attend that school. But Todd Donaho, the sportscaster who was doing most of the talking, said that the honor code includes no alcohol, no premarital sex, and no caffeine. No Coke or Pepsi.

I don't drink them, but I don't think there would be nearly as much disagreement over it in the Church if it was actually in the BYU Honor Code.

While Coke & Pepsi are not forbidden in the honor code (as we all know), I can appreciate how one might mistakenly come to that conclusion given the complete absence of any caffeinated beverages on campus (if they've ever visited BYU).

I don't know why more people don't address the requirement that women only wear ankle length dresses and that men must wear their yarmulke on campus.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 04:22 pm

The year I went there ('71-'72) was the first year that girls could wear pants on campus. And we still weren't allowed to wear jeans except on Saturdays. Man alive, that was 39 years ago!

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 09:14 pm

I'm glad i went there when knee length shorts were ok. After I graduated BYU, it took me years to violate that part of the honor code. It took a summer without air conditioning for me to buy modest but above the knee length shorts, then I got endowed, so the knee length shorts came back.

I remember when it was ok in the honor code for girls to have discrete tattoos and to have belly button rings. In some ways, the code is a little bit more stringent than it was for me as a 1990s BYU student.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 08 Mar, 2011 09:15 am

Jersey Girl wrote:I'm glad i went there when knee length shorts were ok. After I graduated BYU, it took me years to violate that part of the honor code. It took a summer without air conditioning for me to buy modest but above the knee length shorts, then I got endowed, so the knee length shorts came back.

I remember when it was ok in the honor code for girls to have discrete tattoos and to have belly button rings. In some ways, the code is a little bit more stringent than it was for me as a 1990s BYU student.

Are tats against the honor code? I can't imagine someone getting in trouble for something like that. Maybe for getting an obvious one on your arm or face, but who would know otherwise? You could always say that you already had one. A friend of ours played bball at BYU, and she had a tattoo from her wild days in New Zealand growing up.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 08 Mar, 2011 02:55 pm

Jersey Girl wrote:I'm glad i went there when knee length shorts were ok. After I graduated BYU, it took me years to violate that part of the honor code. It took a summer without air conditioning for me to buy modest but above the knee length shorts, then I got endowed, so the knee length shorts came back.

I didn't really "get" the Honor Code when I started attending BYU. I started during a summer semester, and the longest pair of shorts I had were mid-thigh length. I wore them to class all the time, and no one ever said anything. But once I tried to go straight to the cafeteria after class, and got turned away. I remember wondering what the big deal was, they seemed modest enough!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 12 Mar, 2011 07:10 pm

Turns out tattoos aren't mentioned in the Honor Code. Probably that's because they are permanent and kids do a lot of strange things before they grow up and decide to go to college. It does mention body piercings, and says only one set in the ears (for girls), which makes sense because it's easy to take them out if one has punched many holes.

I remember when President Hinckley gave the talk where he said women should have only one set of ear piercings. My niece had just had a second set done, and she immediately took the extra ones out. But there are a lot of young women now who don't seem to even be aware that he made the statement.

I didn't think about the honor code when I went to BYU, either.

But what I came on here to say was that I just read that the guys who make South Park are making a movie called The Book of Mormon. Can't wait to see how THAT turns out. :x

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Sun 13 Mar, 2011 03:12 pm

I think it's a broadway show, not a movie.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:43 pm

It is, and lots of Mormons are going. From the reviews it sounds like the show makes lots of fun of us but seems to love us anyway. Kind of like the Mormon episode of South Park.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Sun 13 Mar, 2011 07:14 pm

I would not suggest attending. I read a very detailed, and positive, review. Most of the song lyrics (it is a musical) are EXTREMELY offensive. Shouldn't be surprising. Also sacrilegious.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:43 am

That's what I figured, from the review I read. It made the point that they seem to love Mormons and are not trying to be deliberately offensive, but I suspect there are a lot of things that we would not want to see or hear (in real life or on Broadway) that they would just think are funny.

Return to “Religion”