What not to do during a talk in sacrament meeting

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Re: What not to do during a talk in sacrament meeting

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:43 am

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's not a matter of right and wrong. And every good quality of a public official can also be seen as a negative by someone who disagrees.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:24 pm

My mother-in-law was VERY worried when I read "The Audacity of Hope" back in 2007-ish. I came away from that book really believing that Barack Obama was a good man who wanted America to be great and its citizens to be successful, which made her very concerned that I was brainwashed and was going to vote for him for president. In the end, I didn't vote for him, because I think wanting what's best for America is a bare minimum qualification for president, and I disagreed with many of his ideas for HOW to make America great and prosperous. But people who hate Obama because they think he's a dastardly un-American liar drive me crazy.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:39 pm

Me, too.

It also drives me crazy when people don't want Mitt Romney because he's rich.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 06:26 pm

Yeah, that's basically how I feel about Obama. He says things that I agree with, like about how Americans need to work hard and not live off of other people, but then I end up disagreeing with his policies or with, apparently, how to reach that. There are some choices he's made that I thought were good and others that were bad, and I think ultimately, more are bad in my opinion than good.

All of the presidents in my lifetime have made at least some decisions that I haven't liked, though.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 12:25 am

Where are the d@** "Like" buttons here??? I've been trying to click my support for quite a few comments in this thread!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 10:19 am

I was just thinking yesterday about one of the basic rules of talk-giving: don't read your talk! Or at least read it over enough times that you can read it flawlessly, with expression. And write it in words you would say out loud. Sometimes our speech patterns are different in writing than in speaking. As an example, the word "many." Most people use it in writing, but they would actually say "lots of" or something along those lines. It's surprising how something as simple as that can make a talk more easy to hear.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 10:06 pm

Momma, that's a great point. I was thinking about that yesterday during our youth speaker's talk. He is a recent convert along with his family, and is probably only 12 or 13. He's new enough to the Church that I guess he didn't know he was "supposed to" tell us how Webster's dictionary defines something, or give us an anecdote about how he came to be asked to speak, or ask the congregation to "bear with him," or just read an Ensign article and call it a talk... instead, he just TALKED to us about his thoughts on the Atonement and Resurrection and how the Aaronic priesthood helps him to strengthen his testimony of the mission of Jesus Christ. He was really refreshing to listen to! He said some really cute things that made everyone laugh, like, "I hope I get a really cool body when I'm resurrected" but it didn't feel rehearsed or affected, just charmingly genuine, innocent, and simple. It felt like he was talking to a room full of friends about how much he loves Jesus and loves the gospel, and it was awesome.

(In comparison, I have no idea what the next two speakers talked about, and they both read their talks. I realized at one point that I couldn't tell if the woman was telling a personal story or reading a story told by a General Authority... that always kind of bothers me.)
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 09:51 pm

It has been decided that the stake presidency and their wives will speak in every ward in the stake in the next two months, splitting the 13(?) units between the three of them, and us. The topic for the wives is "to review some of the practical things we can do to have the Temple within us as we prepare to enter the Temple."

I can't think of a thing to say, other than pray and keep the commandments. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I'm really not terribly nervous about speaking in wards where I hardly know anyone, once I get something prepared, but my mind is sure blank right now.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:12 am

I like having a picture of the temple prominently displayed. It helps me turn my thoughts towards its importance and the worthy work I do there. So that's something.

Good luck with all your talks! I don't envy you, not one little bit.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:43 pm

I gave my first (of five) stake president/wife talks Sunday. I guess it went okay, but it was one of those where I felt like I was struggling all the way through. But that could have been because the meeting was at 8:30, and I hadn't talked much before I stood up to speak, so my voice was all gravelly and I was self-conscious about that.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 19 Aug, 2012 09:18 am

I am about to give the last of my talks today, speaking in two different wards this morning. The talk has evolved some since the first time I gave it, and I hope it will come out more smoothly. But even if it doesn't, I'll be finished in a little over five hours from now!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 19 Aug, 2012 09:22 pm

Funny thing. In the first ward we were speaking in, they had two musical numbers and a youth speaker, so I cut my talk a little to give Rocky 15 minutes. It was fine; I just left out some of the points leading up to the main point of the talk. In the second ward, there was no youth speaker scheduled, and just the musical number that Rocky requested, the Primary singing "I Love To See the Temple." But just before the sacrament, Rocky leaned over and told me that he wanted me to give my whole talk. I thought that was weird, because there was plenty of time. I actually started planning a couple of things I would mention at the beginning, having to do with people I recognized in the ward. Then, after the sacrament, the bishop announced that President Snider was going to do some stake business. Turns out one of the counselors in the bishopric was being released, so Rocky had him bear his testimony, then the wife of the new counselor, then the new counselor, and then the bishop. About halfway through all that Rocky told me he still wanted me to give my whole talk, but I was condensing it in my mind. And by the time they were through, it was about five minutes before the meeting was over, so they decided neither of us would give our talks. The bishop promised me they'd have us back again :) so yay, I get to sit there in that ward with people looking at me twice instead of once. But it's okay, and eventually it will be over.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 08:38 am

When my bishopric finds out that a family is moving out of the ward, they like to have them speak in sacrament meeting (this is likely true in most wards). This probably makes me a bad person, but when we found out we were moving, we waited until after church last Sunday to tell them. This coming Sunday is stake conference, and the one after that is the Brigham City Temple dedication, and then we'll be long gone. It's kind of silly, I know, and I guess it will serve me right that I'll miss out on the blessings I would have received by speaking (assuming they would have even asked us, given the chance). We'll probably have to speak in our new ward anyway. And it will probably be a really difficult topic. And then I *still* won't receive any blessings because I'll do it grudgingly.

Oh well. I'll just leave this here: Goodbye Tumbleweeds, Hello Cave Nation
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 12:37 pm

I remember those tumbleweeds in Eagle Mountain. The first year Jeff and Beth lived there, I cleared their back yard and about five more in their block. That was before any of them had fences, so it was all just one big field of tumbleweeds.

That was when I was young and energetic. Now when I visit I sit on the couch.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 03:00 pm

I suspect promoting your Amway franchise is a good example of what not to do during a talk in sacrament meeting. Unless of course your goal is to not get asked to speak again, in which case it is probably quite effective.

And now that I type that, it sounds oddly familiar. Has that been brought up here before?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 03:57 pm

I don't think Amway has been brought up here, but I suspect it's been done.

We had good talks yesterday, by a just-returned missionary and his parents and sister. The parents spoke on their assigned topics, and the missionary was great, but his sister made me laugh. She said that when she'd have a bad day while he was gone, she'd just think, "He's in Brazil, having a good time, so I should just be happy for him." Uh, yeah, having a good time in the Amazon. It was just the typical self-centered 16-year-old remark, like her problems were so much worse than his.

Return to “Religion”