What not to do during a talk in sacrament meeting

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 12:13 pm

Card wrote:This may be unpopular, but sometimes I'm a fan of the defining of a word in a talk. I don't like it when people just define it and move on as if it added nothing to their talk except for time. I do like it, however, if it somehow adds into what they are saying, and they explain it in such a way.

Heretic! Off with her head!

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 01:46 pm

Coolboyharrell wrote:
Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:Coming back to this, Elder Oaks always does this in the best possible way. Which he did during the Priesthood session on Saturday. I love his talks.

I've noticed that too. The one that sticks out most to me is when he talked about divorce a couple years ago and started with "I have felt impressed to speak about divorce." It wasn't, "I was asked to speak about divorce," or "they never gave me a topic so I picked divorce," he just said what he was going to do and got on with it.

I like that too.

Part of that is that no one assigns topics for General Conference. People are simply asked to speak, and then they are supposed to come up with their own topic.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:26 am

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:40 am

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:A timely column on the subject by Orson Scott Card.

Has he been reading this thread?

It was a mildly amusing article, but this thread is funnier. So I'd guess that OSC hasn't been reading this thread.

You know how once in a while there will be a six-week adult Sunday School class for Temple Prep, Teacher Development, Self Reliance, etc.? Maybe they should have one for giving effective sacrament meeting talks. It sure would be challenging finding someone qualified to teach the class, though.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:06 pm

robcan2 wrote:You know how once in a while there will be a six-week adult Sunday School class for Temple Prep, Teacher Development, Self Reliance, etc.? Maybe they should have one for giving effective sacrament meeting talks. It sure would be challenging finding someone qualified to teach the class, though.

Just print out this thread and make it required reading of anyone asked to give a talk. :)

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:57 pm

I've often suspected OSC was a lurker here. This just makes the connection stronger. :D
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:22 pm

robcan2 wrote:You know how once in a while there will be a six-week adult Sunday School class for Temple Prep, Teacher Development, Self Reliance, etc.?

I am distracted by the mention of Teacher Development. I'm always surprised that most of the people who attend that class are the ones who in the following weeks and months do exactly what they are NOT supposed to do when teaching a class. I suspect they attend the development class just to skip the occasional ho-hum of the gospel doctrine class.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:22 pm

I actually kind of don't like when a teacher does too many of the "tips" they learn in Teacher Development, although I guess that depends on who teaches it and their own experience. I think I'm in the minority, but I always would rather sit in my chair and listen to a lesson, participating as I feel inclined, than be put into discussion groups who then report back, for example. Just as I prefer to be told what a sacrament meeting talk is going to be about, I want to know what the lesson is about without a lot of attention-getters.

I remember one really grumpy Sunday I had to play the piano in RS, and the teacher came in and turned the lights off during the prelude to "set the mood" for the lesson. I have no idea what the lesson was about, but only that she didn't think lovely prelude music was important. I just don't like gimmicks. Heck, I don't even care if there's a centerpiece! (Gasp!)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:25 pm

However, there are basic teaching tips that are very important, and I do think it's a great course. One that comes to mind is if you ask a question and want discussion, WAIT a few seconds! So often the teacher asks, gets no immediate response, and either moves on or gets annoyed or flustered. It just takes some of us a few seconds to formulate an answer in real words.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:20 pm

What Momma said.

and

What Momma said.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Card

Postby Card » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:56 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:

I've often suspected OSC was a lurker here. This just makes the connection stronger. :D

I would just like to make clear again for those that missed it that I am not related in any way to OSC. My screen name has nothing to do with him, and in fact, I am a girl. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:58 pm

Timely tips, MommaS, as I just got a new calling that I shall not reveal here. *coughcoughrsteachercoughcough* I'm not into gimmicks so much, but since there's a rather noticeable cultural divide (Tongan and not-Tongan) in our ward, I'm all about getting the sisters to talk to each other. Ergo, the discussion groups are ideal. Well, they're ideal for US. Since we're reviewing the basics for the foreseeable future, I should be able to promote this without losing the point of my lessons. I think.

I would like to hear what you all do and don't like about your doctrinal teachers' methods--Sunday School, Priesthood, Relief Society, or otherwise.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:59 pm

Card wrote:
WiseNLucky wrote:

I would just like to make clear again for those that missed it that I am not related in any way to OSC. My screen name has nothing to do with him, and in fact, I am a girl. Just in case anyone was wondering.

I can confirm that!

Card

Postby Card » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:20 pm

Lady Celtic wrote:
Card wrote:
WiseNLucky wrote:

I can confirm that!

Hahaha... so funny that we knew each other this WHOLE time.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:04 pm

Were you real world acquaintances before the board?

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:31 am

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:Were you real world acquaintances before the board?

Yeah, dish!! That would be hilarious!
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:34 am

Yep. Card is the sister of one of my former college roommates. I've even spent the night at her parents' house a couple of times and I HAVE THE PICTURE TO PROVE IT. Somewhere.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:48 pm

When did you two discover your real identities?

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:07 pm

About a week ago, when Facebook told me we had 8 friends in common and they were all Snider Board people.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 05:50 pm

Har. That's funny, because a few years ago when I sent out a boatload of Christmas cards and letters, I got to find out many SnideVillagers' real names. So as they started appearing on Facebook, I was jazzed to add them as friends.

I just assumed that Lady C and Card knew each others' Secret Identities and were already friends on Facebook.

Now I wonder who else I've missed...
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Return to “Religion”