What not to do during a talk in sacrament meeting

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm

This is like the Pina Colada song. It would be funny if we had any other weird connections.

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:20 pm

Hi all :) One of my pet peeves is when the speaker says, "When I saw Brother 1st Counselor coming towards me down the hall, I tried to run the other way, because I knew he was going to ask me to speak!" Or, "when I saw Brother 2nd Counselor's number on the caller ID for the 4th time this week, I knew I couldn't avoid him anymore..." I hate when people talk about how they try to avoid the bishopric and the assignments to speak. Not many people feel comfortable in front of a microphone, we all understand, it's ok to say you feel nervous, but it's embarrassing to hear the lengths some people go to to try to avoid an assignment, or to try to make it funny. And it makes the bishopric look like they are people to fear. Especially to the youth and children, that the adults are always running from them.

kentimus

Postby kentimus » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:13 am

Yesterday we had someone get up, started by asking everyone to look up a scripture, and while they were looking it up proceeded to tell about seeing the Bishop's phone number on caller id on Wednesday and talked about that for five minutes. After he was done talking about that, he got back to reading the scripture that he had everyone look up 5 minutes ago.

Then he proceeded to tell a faith-promoting rumor from memory. You know, the one about how someone had a dream they were in a room full of file cabinets and each cabinet had thousands of cards and on each card was written down a sin that that person had committed. Then the person in the dream realized the Savior was in the room....

Since he was telling the faith=promoting rumor from memory, he didn't get most of the details right. I was actually happy about that since I dislike the telling of faith-promoting rumors during Sacrament meeting talks (or elsewhere) so getting the details wrong and in the wrong order made the story less powerful and therefore less likely to appear in a talk again next month.

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:02 am

kentimus wrote:Since he was telling the faith=promoting rumor from memory, he didn't get most of the details right. I was actually happy about that since I dislike the telling of faith-promoting rumors during Sacrament meeting talks (or elsewhere) so getting the details wrong and in the wrong order made the story less powerful and therefore less likely to appear in a talk again next month.

Wow, that brought back flashes from the mission. In one of my branches there was a excommunicated man that would never, under any circumstance, be quiet. This included during sacrament talks, testimonies, and in class room settings. He usually had his facts wrong too, and we'd have to look around the room for the people who looked most disturbed and do damage control afterward.
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

Card

Postby Card » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:58 am

Lady Celtic wrote:Yep. Card is the sister of one of my former college roommates. I've even spent the night at her parents' house a couple of times and I HAVE THE PICTURE TO PROVE IT. Somewhere.

Really? That's funny. You have a picture?

And actually, I think I have met some other people from The Board before. I think they were just random meetings, and I don't know if there was actual conversation that happened, so yeah. It is a small world.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:23 pm

Friend Card, I may have more than one. I remember taking a picture of your bathroom because I liked the set up so much (back to back sinks at the entry way, I think--I can't find the picture right now). Heh. Yeah, I'm strange like that. Also, I have pictures in your house or with you in them from Feb. 1998, Sept. 1998, and spring of 1999. Why in the world did your parents keep letting us crazy Campus Plaza people come back?
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 May, 2010 12:20 pm

This wasn't sacrament meeting, but a baptism last Saturday. It was supposed to start at 4:00. The speaker arrived at 4:20, wearing a cowboy shirt and smelling somewhat like a cowboy. We were all prepared to forgive him for that, but then it turned out he hadn't prepared a talk, either, just decided to wing it. He hadn't brought his scriptures, so he just kept turning to my husband (the bishop) to ask where particular scriptures were.

A few weeks ago this same guy was supposed to give the FHE lesson, and when Rocky called to ask where he was (at 7:15) he said he had been waiting for it to get dark, so hadn't even looked at a clock.

He's a pretty awesome guy, other than that. But remind me not to depend on him.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Fri 21 May, 2010 03:10 pm

Wow, that's so annoying. Let's hope he finds an awesome girl to marry & whip him into shape!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:08 pm

We had one of the worst talks I've heard in a while this Sunday. I try not to be judgmental of talks. I figure none of us are trained public speakers and most people get really nervous speaking. So if a talk isn't perfect, who cares.

THIS talk though, wow. It was our ward clerk, and he started out by telling us how one of the counselors asked him JUST ONE WEEK AGO to speak, he responded by saying "but I work full time." REALLY? Wow, that's just amazing. I mean, NOBODY ELSE in the ward works FULL TIME. Nosiree, we're all independently wealthy, so we just sit around all day picking our noses.

THEN he proceeded to tell us that he was no further along in being prepared to speak at this very minute, than he was a week ago. Wonderful.

So then he rambled on for about 20 minutes or so about his pioneer heritage, but not really his pioneer heritage, and he was a convert to the church, and at one point he was really depressed and didn't want a calling, but then he decided he shouldn't be depressed and should have a calling, and when he as set apart as a missionary (I think) he once found himself in the Church office building, and took that opportunity to start knocking on some doors to meet the apostles, and pulled out a book and started listing all the names of the apostles he met and got their signatures, and one of the apostles was in a bad mood and asked him "don't you think we have more important things to do right now than to be bothered by you?" and he responded by saying (or thinking) "don't you know that I'm a valiant convert and declared after my second discussion that I would serve a mission!" and then he spoke to one apostle who took him through his step-by-step process of writing a talk and then gave him one of his talks to keep . . . .

REALLY???? An apostle taught you face-to-face about how to prepare a talk and you give us THIS?

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Also, he went over time by about 5-10 minutes which left us scrambling trying to get through everything we had planned for primary that day.

It was wonderful.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 11:56 am

lilcis wrote:Nosiree, we're all independently wealthy, so we just sit around all day picking our noses.

I will admit I was picking my nose right when I arrived at that sentence.

You are welcome.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:32 pm

I feel your pain, lilcis. Unfortunately, I feel it acutely because I have been asked to speak next Sunday about Genealogy, Family History, and my pioneer heritage. I am pretty sure that I don't have any pioneer heritage, despite the fact that there are a whole lot of people in Utah with my last name. I think they all came over on boats and trains long after the trip to Salt Lake was made pretty easy compared to what the Pioneers went through. Lisapants is descended directly from Parley P. Pratt, though, so maybe I will focus on her pioneer heritage. I don't know.

My biggest issue is that I couldn't care less about Genealogy and Family History right now. I'm not sure how I am going give a talk about it.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 01:02 pm

Maybe you don't need to talk about your specific pioneer heritage, but about how you are grateful for the pioneers who established the church in Utah, and how it's grown from there. You could share different stories about pioneers in general. Check out a few different July issues of The Ensign, New Era, and The Friend for references.

If you don't already have a record of your personal pioneer ancestry I don't think you can be expected to pull it together and organize it into a talk in a week.

Personally, I would rather have someone read directly from another talk or magazine article, and then briefly talk about what they learned from it, than have someone ramble on and on with no clear direction.

kentimus

Postby kentimus » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:39 pm

lilcis wrote:... and he started out by telling us how one of the counselors asked him JUST ONE WEEK AGO to speak....

I know lots of people who wait until Saturday night or Sunday morning (which often includes me) to prepare their talks, whether it they had 3 days notice, or one month's notice. It annoys me when people complain about their short notice when they probably would have procrastinated any way.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:30 pm

Oh yeah, that's the other thing I wanted to mention. I can understand if they called him on SATURDAY and asked him to give a talk the next day, that might be kind of difficult. But come on, a week's notice? PLENTY of time.

Which reminds me of a funny store. A few months ago we had a high council Sacrament meeting, but at the start of the meeting only one of the high counselors was there. He got up to give his talk and said "I texted Brother ____ at the start of the meeting."

"We're speaking in Woodruff Ward today - Where are you?"

"No, that's next week"

"No, that's TODAY"

Sure enough, by the middle of the rest hymn, a slightly frazzled high counselor had joined him on the stand, and then got up and gave a very short but very nice talk.

Luckily our stake boundaries are fairly small!

It was awesome.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:43 pm

Adam, I just had a thought... if I were asked to speak on that topic I would speak about my pioneer heritage in whatever way it pertained to me personally. I would not worry whether it actually had anything to do with covered wagons and journal excerpts from gangrenous, parentless pioneer children who ate very little meat but sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked and waaaaaaaaaaaaaalked.

In my family, for instance, my dad and I are the first members of the Church so we are the pioneers. For us Genealogy has a special meaning because we are the link connecting our ancestors and our posterity through temple ordinances. I'm also the first person in my family to serve a mission, and the first sister missionary ever from my ward. Not that I would stand up and be all, "I'm the first, I'm awesome!!!" but to make that connection between what the pioneers did in terms of paving the way for the Church to be established and what the first members of the Church in a family do to establish those eternal links within their own family.

Who is the pioneer in YOUR family? How would YOUR life be different if they hadn't chosen to affiliate themselves with the Church and instill the Gospel in their home and share it with their children? If I were in your ward, I'd MUCH prefer to hear your personal connections to the topic you were assigned and your journey of discovering what pioneer heritage means in your family (and maybe even igniting a spark for family history along the way!). No offense to Parley P. Pratt or any other Church forefathers (or the pioneer children), I just think you have a really cool opportunity to make this topic seem relevant to us in 2010. Good luck!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:38 pm

Audrey wrote:In my family, for instance, my dad and I are the first members of the Church so we are the pioneers.

What she said.

In other procrastination news, I have been avoiding preparing my lesson for this Sunday, which will be my first in my new calling. I don't know why; I love to teach. On the bright side, I have gotten a lot of OTHER stuff done.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Sat 24 Jul, 2010 10:04 pm

AdamOndi wrote:...I have been asked to speak next Sunday about Genealogy, Family History, and my pioneer heritage. I am pretty sure that I don't have any pioneer heritage, despite the fact that there are a whole lot of people in Utah with my last name. I think they all came over on boats and trains long after the trip to Salt Lake was made pretty easy compared to what the Pioneers went through. Lisapants is descended directly from Parley P. Pratt, though, so maybe I will focus on her pioneer heritage. I don't know.

My biggest issue is that I couldn't care less about Genealogy and Family History right now. I'm not sure how I am going give a talk about it.

Okay, so apparently I was wrong. I was trying to figure out things to talk about (using some of the suggestions in this thread), and Lisa had the brilliant idea of calling my mom and seeing what she knew about our family history. Apparently I completely underestimated my mom's knowledge of our genealogy.

Remember what I said about not having any pioneer heritage in my own quote above? I was wrong. My mom's great-great-grandfather was one of Brigham Young's brothers (we're trying to figure out which one) and came across the plains with the other pioneers. My dad's ancestors came from Denmark on boats and trains, but I have found out some interesting stuff about the Danish immigrants to Utah also. For instance, did you know that the only country to produce more convert immigrants than Denmark was England? This would explain why there are so many Hansens, Jensens, Madsens, Christensens, and the like in Utah and throughout the Church.

I am going to include some of that information in my talk, but also a lot about how just a little bit of digging can result in a fair amount of information about (and interest in) personal genealogy.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 08:00 am

Adam, I really liked your post.

I have struggled all my Church life (since September 15, 1973) with my total lack of interest in genealogy, period. I have done a tiny amount of research, but I just have never gotten that "spark" that catches fire and makes you want to dig in and find all those ancestors and record their data and submit their names, etc. Tom and I were even called as Family History Consultants a couple of years ago, and our combined disinterest in genealogy has resulted in our going to the Family History Center exactly ONE time, even though we are scheduled for a shift once a month.

This is not an easy thing to admit publicly, because I want to be able to say I am doing my callings as I should. But I'm not. I have GOT to find a way to stop thinking about "doing genealogy" as a dreaded punishment, and somehow start looking at it as a way of discovering how I came to be here, I guess.

Any suggestions, anyone? I'm convinced that this lack of curiosity about my ancestors is rooted in my childhood. My parents were, for lack of a better word, weird. My maternal grandparents lived 1 mile north of us, but we had very little interaction with them. I didn't know my Grandma and Grandpa very well, and don't have warm memories of time spent with them.

My Dad's parents lived about 35 miles away, in Newark, Ohio, which may as well have been on a different continent. We got to see them, briefly, about once or twice a year, but all the kids had to stay in one place, while all the adults got to talk and eat together. So I knew that set of grandparents even less.

I am the only member of the Church in my extended family of origin. I hardly even knew my own grandparents as real people, much less any ancestors farther back. Is anyone else in the same circumstances as me?

How can I begin searching for people I am completely apathetic about finding and knowing anything about?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:12 pm

First, Adam, I think that's so cool! Here you were, trying to prepare to give a talk on something you didn't want to talk about, but you were being obedient, and you found this great information. I like that.

I always kind of had a chip on my shoulder about pioneer ancestry, knowing that I don't have any. And I'm pretty sure I really don't. Plus, I hate Pioneer Day celebrations, because it's HOT on July 24. I can be (and am) extremely grateful for what the pioneers did, and I am in awe of their sacrifices and dedication, but I don't want to re-enact it. In fact, sometimes I think it trivializes their sufferings for some people, when they go out and pull a handcart for 10 miles and think, "That wasn't so bad!"

But I have developed a great appreciation for them in the past few years. Each generation has its own set of problems, and I've heard people say that ours are the worst, but it's a good thing I was born now. The things they went through, simply because they knew the gospel was true, have my deepest respect and appreciation.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 01:21 pm

KareNin, something that got me interested in my family history was just looking at it, and a couple of names just struck me as interesting. I have one named Thankful Rider, and her name touched me. I thought about her a lot, and I have a picture of her in my mind -- which is probably completely inaccurate, but whatever. I haven't done much research at all, but the little bit I've done has been kind of addictive.

One thing I really have to do is fix a mistake I made. I knew my great-grandma, she didn't die until I was 19, and I did her mom's temple work several years ago. Turns out I had her name wrong, though. What I had found said her name was Victoria Hill, but Hill was her mother's maiden name. Her last name was Collins. I have to find out how to fix that. I guess I just need to submit it correctly, and both names with be on family search.

Return to “Religion”