cute things kids say

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

cute things kids say

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 May, 2010 08:57 am

I thought there was a thread about this, but I can't find it. Maybe it wasn't on the Religion forum, but this one belongs here.

Some friends of ours were telling us about their granddaughter. The family was traveling from California to Utah, and while passing through the seedier part of Nevada, she noticed billboards for topless dancers. She asked what that meant, and someone said they dance without their shirts on.

After some contemplation, she asked, "You mean they dance in just their bras?" Older sisters giggled and told her no, they don't even wear their bras. She processed that for a minute, and then asked incredulously, "The dance in just their GARMENTS??"

kentimus

Postby kentimus » Mon 03 May, 2010 02:04 pm

A few months ago my 5 year-old (who at the time was 4) asked my wife "When is Heavenly Father going to give Daddy his hair back?"

Olympic Beret

Postby Olympic Beret » Mon 03 May, 2010 02:18 pm

Once, I substituted in a Sunbeams class.

ME: *holding up a picture* Now, who is this?

SUNBEAM: That's Joseph Smith!

Me: That's right! And who was he?

SUNBEAM: He's Pocahontas' friend!
Hopelessly out of fashion since February 2002.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 03 May, 2010 02:38 pm

My son often prays that his deceased great-grandparents will get their new bodies soon.

WiseNLucky

Re: cute things kids say

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 03 May, 2010 04:46 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I thought there was a thread about this, but I can't find it. Maybe it wasn't on the Religion forum, but this one belongs here.

Some friends of ours were telling us about their granddaughter. The family was traveling from California to Utah, and while passing through the seedier part of Nevada, she noticed billboards for topless dancers. She asked what that meant, and someone said they dance without their shirts on.

After some contemplation, she asked, "You mean they dance in just their bras?" Older sisters giggled and told her no, they don't even wear their bras. She processed that for a minute, and then asked incredulously, "The dance in just their GARMENTS??"

That's delightful! The beauty of innocence. **sigh**
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 04:50 pm

I went to our family ward Sunday to watch the Primary program. There wereabout 150 kids there, and every one of them had a part to say. The Sunbeams sat right up in front of the bishopric for the whole program, and they were a presentation all in themselves. One little girl was waving and looking like an extrovert through the whole thing, until it was time for the class to walk to the microphone and speak. She stopped next to the podium, looked out at the audience, and zipped her lips, then stood in front of the microphone and refused to say a word. She didn't cry or looked scared, just wasn't going to say anything. It was adorable, I must say.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:12 pm

We were talking about Lehi's dream with the kids the other night. My daughter (3.5 years) was very fixated on the fruit. On the way to Church yesterday, we were talking about "getting to heaven." We talked about how being obedient and doing good things for others helped us feel God's love.

Millie wanted to know if that meant we got to eat the white fruit.

She then said, "I know it is a treat, because it is sweet and has sugar."

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 01 Dec, 2010 03:43 pm

A bishop in our stake told a cute story at our recent stake conference. He has 5 young children, and they live kind of out in the country. A lot of their neighbors own farms and belong to "plain" faiths (as they are known here in Pennsylvania Dutch country), meaning you'll see the women and girls in the traditional dresses and a bonnet-style cap, and the men typically wear long pants, a button-up shirt, suspenders, and a wide-brimmed hat.

The bishop and his family were driving home in their van one day, when a neighbor family was out in their front yard and waved as the van passed by. The bishop's youngest son said, "Hey look, it's our Lamanite neighbors!" His older and wiser sister corrected him, saying, "They're not Lamanites, they're Irish!"

It turned out the son was trying to say the family was Mennonite, and the daughter was trying to say they were Amish. The bishop corrected them both, as the family was actually German Baptist.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 May, 2011 11:00 am

The seven-year-old granddaughter of a friend was at the temple grounds with the family, and she asked, "Grandpa, who is that on top of the temple with a plunger?"

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 09 May, 2011 06:19 pm

...and that's the story behind the thriving new business, "Moroni Plumbing."
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 10 May, 2011 06:56 am

KareNin wrote:...and that's the story behind the thriving new business, "Moroni Plumbing."

Not to be confused with their biggest competitor, Rameumptom Rooter.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 May, 2011 01:55 pm

I just noticed that we didn't post one of Logan's funnies. A few weeks ago, when they came to visit, Rocky picked them up at the airport, and they were talking about slavery. (don't know why.) Lindsay asked Beth if she was free when she was little, and Beth said yes, she was. And Logan said, "EVERYBODY'S free, except alcohol drinkers!"

I don't know if we ever found out where he learned that concept of the slavery of alcoholism, but it sure was cute.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:28 pm

During General Conference, when Elder Christofferson was speaking, Jeff told Lindsay and Logan that he is the uncle of one of our relatives. Logan said, "I hope Uncle Chris is never an apostle, because it would be weird for an apostle to try to pants me!"

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:14 pm

I think we all feel that way about Uncle Chris, Logan.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 09 Sep, 2012 12:32 pm

Last week the bishop's granddaughter bore her testimony. She is about 4. She gave a very clear, brief testimony of the basics, and appeared to be reading it from a piece of paper she had opened in front of her. I thought she read remarkably well for a child her age, but that didn't surprise me too much. Later, the bishop sent Rocky a picture of what was written on the page: all little-child scribbles. They said she had practiced what she was going to say while she was writing it down, and always referred to the paper when she rehearsed. It was adorable.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:09 am

Rocky was in a couple of different wards yesterday that were doing their Primary program. One kid, about 7, said his part about how he needed to choose the right, and then, after starting to get down, leaned back into the mic and said, "Or I'll go to hell."
Our ward had it, too. We have over 150 kids in Primary, but they moved it right along, and we only got out about 10 minutes late. A two-year-old in front of me kept shouting "Amen!" after every song. The singing was amazing! I got teary-eyed during almost every song.
One thing that always bothers me is that most parents work so hard to teach the kids their parts, and then some of the teachers don't give them a chance to say it without help. One teacher held the script up in front of the kids' faces so they could read their parts but their parents couldn't see their faces. Never mind that some six-year-olds probably don't read all that well anyway. Finally one boy pushed the script aside and said, "I know it!" I wanted to cheer. Most kids need just a second to collect their thoughts, and if you give them a chance to read it, or start whispering it to them, they will quit trying to remember.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:39 am

I conducted Primary again yesterday, and I'm trying so hard to learn the names! I was so happy that the Junior Primary scripture and prayer girl was someone I knew, an adorable little Sunbeam who I got to know last year when I subbed in nursery, and she came right up to me and sat on my lap.

I saw the little girl come in with her scriptures, and she said she was planning to do it. So I announced her, and she came up with her Book of Mormon and opened it up...upside down, obviously with no clue. I had forgotten to bring my notebook forward, which would have had the scripture for the month in it, so I started frantically flipping through the pages, hoping something would pop out.

Finally her mother came forward and helped her.

So it wasn't so much a cute thing she said as a cute picture, this tiny girl all ready to "read" a scripture with her book upside down.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 29 Nov, 2012 09:54 am

My friend's granddaughter went to church for the first time in her life last week, Catholic, I assume. She's 4 1/2. My friend wasn't there, but after she got home, she asked, "Grandma, who is God?" My friend, who was born a Catholic and will die a Catholic, didn't know what to say. She asked me how she should answer. I tried to be generic, and told her to say God is our Father, all of us, and he sent Jesus to live on the earth to teach us how to be good, and then he made it possible for us to live with God again after we die.

That reminded her of another question the little girl asked: "Why are people alive again when they get to heaven, if they're dead?" My friend didn't know how to answer that one, either. I think that was pretty deep for a little girl to ask, but it shows that kids need some teaching, not just words.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:04 pm

Laurie, only a few months ago, I would have been really concerned with trying to figure out a way to give her an answer she could tell her granddaughter, without stepping on any toes, religion-wise, or saying anything inside a public school building that could be construed as religious doctrine, mixing Church And State, and blah blah blah... you know the rest.

But the other day, it came to me like a little mini-epiphany, that I have been doing that for so long, trying not to offend any of my family or friends who have differing views, or trying not to make anyone uncomfortable with unfamiliar LDS jargon or beliefs, or whatever, that I have been guilty of being "lukewarm," if you know what I mean.

And I don't want to do that anymore. I don't want to be spewed out of Jesus' mouth because I was too wishy-washy to say what I believe, right out loud (or in print). I know you have been praying for me to get to that point, and I am happy to tell you your prayers are being answered. Be patient with me a little longer, but please keep praying.

And I still don't know what you can tell your diehard Catholic friend, but don't ever discount the possibility of a miraculous, modern-day, Alma-like WHAP upside of the head, followed by a conversion, the likes of which the world has never known.

(I probably should have put this in our Head-to-Head Thread, Fred. I'm so inept. Enh, I'm an Open Book to all my loved ones anyhow.)

(Shut up, Jeff. Or you're OFF the Complimentary Pumpkin List.)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 16 Jan, 2013 01:57 pm

I bought my friend a little Nativity sticker book to give to her granddaughter, to help her explain that part of it. I don't know how it went. What's funny to me is that both of my close coworkers have been surprised to find out that their grandkids don't have any idea who God is, or Jesus, but I wonder how they thought they'd know, if no one is teaching them. Basic religious instruction is apparently important to them, but it's like they think it just comes naturally or something.

Return to “Religion”