Bishop shot

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Bishop shot

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7000 ... hapel.html

A bishop was shot and killed today in the church building. They haven't said what the motive was, but one clip I saw said that no one recognized the shooter, who was later shot and killed by police after he opened fire on them. I hope they can figure out what his motive was. I guess it could have even been related to the bishop's business, maybe a disgruntled employee or something.

The bishop was 42 and had six kids, the youngest eight months old.

Our ward says they're getting Rocky a bulletproof vest.

SDR

Re: Bishop shot

Postby SDR » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 10:23 pm

Momma Snider wrote:The bishop was 42 and had six kids, the youngest eight months old.

Not that it is important at all, I'm just curious: the article gave his age as 40. Do you have better info than the article? Regardless of the age, tragic.

Olympic Beret

Postby Olympic Beret » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm in a town nearby. I didn't know Bishop Sannar, but we're all kind of in shock over here. Information is coming bit by bit as the evening has progressed. No one seemed to know the shooter, and in fact they're saying that he didn't ask for Bishop Sannar by name (he supposedly asked for "the president or the bishop"), so it seems they may not have known each other at all. There is a rumor going around that it may have been a gang initiation (our entire region has been having a lot of problems with gang violence), but with the shooter dead we may never really know for sure. All we really know is, it's been a bad day for everyone. Please remember the Sannar family in your prayers tonight. :(

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/ - The local paper. Just don't read the comments. There are people out there who don't have a kind word to say about anyone, and unfortunately for this area, they all seem to have an Internet connection and lots of free time. :(
Hopelessly out of fashion since February 2002.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:36 am

How strange that the shooter called police and identified himself, calling them to himself.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:20 am

WiseNLucky wrote:How strange that the shooter called police and identified himself, calling them to himself.

Suicide by police.

How terribly heartbreaking for the Sannar family! Ugh- A wife and little ones left behind. Sad, so very sad.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:53 am

Several different articles (I just googled Visalia bishop) gave his age as 42, then this one said 40. The age of his youngest also varied from 3 months to 8 months. One said they were all boys, but the others didn't. Of course none of that really matters, but it makes my prayers for his family more personal if I can picture them, so I hope to get it right.

Definitely suicide by police, but I sure wish he hadn't died. I want to know why.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 11:30 am

This breaks my heart. I can't imagine what his family is going through.

Olympic Beret

Postby Olympic Beret » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 02:04 pm

Man accused of killing church leader was former member of LDS church, felt wronged, brother says

Slain Visalia Mormon church leader called a hero

According to his brother, the shooter was mentally ill, and a former member of the Church who felt that a bishop had wronged him back in the 80's. Bishop Sannar just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The shooter grew up in a home nearby, which is where he confronted, and was shot by, the police.

It appears that this is a double tragedy, then: the innocent victim, and the perpetrator who was not in his right mind and felt compelled to act out in such a terrible way. :(
Hopelessly out of fashion since February 2002.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:53 pm

Our ward says they're getting Rocky a bulletproof vest.

It looks like they would have to get him a bullet proof face mask! What a horrible thing to have happen and to witness.
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 11:29 am

On Facebook someone posted a picture of this family, all six boys in their Sunday best, and all of them smiling and happy. It broke my heart all over again.

Return to “Religion”