The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 05:14 pm

This was posted by my sister, who is an EFY speaker, and I thought I'd see if I can get any responses here, even though no one seems to come here much any more.

"Hey facebook friends, I need some help. Can you think of a time that you felt all alone but then something happened to make you see that God was mindful of you? Please share if you can, I need it for a big talk I'm doing."

She's had some pretty awesome responses so far, but would like more. For a different talk, she'd also like some examples or stories about how Satan tempts us but then does not support us. And if any of your kids are going to Tacoma in two weeks, tell them to go to her class! Janna Kaas is her name.

iamroch

Re: new topic

Postby iamroch » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:24 am

A couple of months ago I went for a short bike ride with a couple of friends. I hadn't ridden in a couple of years and am not in good shape. I rode with them for a couple miles and then had to come back to get ready for a couple of appointments. So, I headed back while they continued on their ride. Just before my street, there is a small hill that I had to climb. It's not very long and only moderatly steep, but it was a real challenge for me. I was determined to make it up the hill without stopping and I did. But I had to take a breather at the top. I was only about a querter mile from my house, but it was overcast and I was a bit chilly. I stood there for a minute trying to gather the will to pedal home, when the clouds moved aside and the sun shone on me and warmed me up. I instatnly felt that this was Heavenly Father giving me a little boost of encouragement. It really hit me; I even shared it with my Sunday School class the next day. We've had lots of challenges in our life over the last several years, and I took this as a sign that Heavenly Father is aware of me and wants me to continue on, to keep going even when I'm tired and He'll be there to give me a little boost when I need it. I know that is a leap from a bit of sunshine, but it felt right to me.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:46 pm

Thanks! Experiences like that keep us going, when we recognize them for what they are. I sometimes wonder how many times the Lord sends messages that way that are brushed over and dismissed without gratitude or even recognition.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 01:45 pm

I'm only two weeks late on this-

When I was 18 I was on a trip to Chicago with my parents. I had some free time to myself and walked down to a little lunch place. While I was sitting there, watching all of the people go by, I felt an overwhelming knowledge that God knew who I was and that I mattered to him. It has been a hugely impactful experience for me. It came unbidden, though I think that my being in the middle of my mission preparation contributed to it.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 11:07 pm

I am one of those people that seems to draw the lonely and the needy. I have healthy, well adjusted friends too, but I just seem to have a way with and a compassion for those who need a listening ear. Normally I enjoy helping others, but once in a while I get overwhelmed and wonder who is there for ME when I need a sympathetic listening ear. Many times I even feel abandoned or ignored by God. Today I was working outside, and thinking about how I teach my children about giving service to others whether there is anything in it for yourself or not, and I looked up and saw my beautiful home and it struck me forcefully that God had blessed me with the physical comforts in life so that I would have the strength to minister to the spiritual and emotional needs of others. I have always felt a little guilty at having such a nice home and property when there are those out there with only a bridge to shelter their heads. But I felt today that this place of mine is my retreat, my support, my blessing to help me be strong for others who have need. So instead of feeling ignored by God in my times of distress I realized he had been supporting me and wrapping me in a safe shelter all along.
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 12:26 pm

Good one, RenLass! I totally agree. I was telling one of my sons this the other day, when he asked why we have another homeless girl living with us. Of course he had to be a smart aleck about it, and when I said "I have been blessed with this beautiful house, and it behooves me to share," (and I actually said "behooves") he said, "Mom, your house isn't that great. It's just an average house these days." But it's not average for me! I have emerald green carpet and plenty of room and I love it, so it does behoove me to be grateful and feel blessed and to share when I can. (And when it's not too inconvenient...)

Return to “Religion”