missionary ages

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

missionary ages

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 09:39 am

Does anyone know of anyone who will be immediately affected by the new age requirements for missionaries? The closest it comes to me personally is that my sister's grandson could go out in less than five years, which somehow seems way shorter than six years.

Eric's Fat Brother

Re: missionary ages

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 12:07 pm

I know a girl who is 18-1/2 who is going to start the mission papers process immediately, and I know a couple young men in my ward who have started making mission plans instead of college plans for when they graduate in May.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 12:01 am

I have a female cousin who turns 19 in December. Instead of having a few years to decide if she wants to go on a mission, she has a few months to decide. Not that she HAS to go when she is 19, but now it's an option to think about.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 04:23 am

Our oldest is 16. He'll graduate when he is 17 but will turn 18 the following August. So in a little less than 2 years we'll see if he is ready as there will be no pressure to go unless he is. Otherwise we still hope to get him off at 19 at the latest. Of course, excessive delay is also not good but some 18 year-olds just aren't ready (and some 19 year-olds aren't either). I anticipate our son will be mature enough and will likely go at 18.

I'm in the YM's presidency so I'm looking forward to hearing what our Priests are going to do. We have two who are turning 18 before graduating from HS. It is hard picturing them as missionaries but then missionaries look so darn young these days. Guess I'm looking at them with older eyes.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 18 Oct, 2012 12:58 pm

My friend's father-in-law is a bishop of a freshman ward at BYU. Between the Saturday morning session when the announcement was made and the priesthood session that evening, the father-in-law/bishop had received calls from 40 guys in his ward to set up appointments for mission interviews.
Jeff J. Snider
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Oct, 2012 01:48 pm

I think that is awesome!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 31 May, 2013 10:28 am

Jeff was telling me yesterday that of the graduates from Pleasant Grove High School, there are 106 who already have their mission calls. That's pretty awesome.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 31 May, 2013 02:52 pm

And the crazy thing is, not a single one of them is going to Brazil!
Jeff J. Snider
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 31 May, 2013 02:54 pm

The times, they are achangin'.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 11:50 am

We now have two sets of missionaries just in our little ward. I hope we are keeping them busy, and I hope we can feed them. A lot of the families would be happy to feed both sets at the same time, but since it's a set of elders and a set of sisters, they aren't allowed -- too much like a double date, I assume. But there are a lot of single sisters or women whose husbands work late who can now at least have the sisters over.

They all look like a bunch of kids to me, but they are strong and faithful, and I'm so impressed with them!

Return to “Religion”