New Calling

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

SDR

New Calling

Postby SDR » Thu 25 Oct, 2012 10:05 pm

So I'm the ward lock up person. I get to drive over to the church (even though it's close enough to walk, why would I do that?) every night and make sure all the doors are locked and windows closed and lights are off. The windows closed because I guess some Aaronic priesthood types think that's their after hours entry so they can go play basketball whenever.

I'm thinking I should be provided with a light & siren bar for my car and a uniform and a taser. Oh, and a bulletproof vest with "security" or "programmer" on it.

Momma Snider

Re: New Calling

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 26 Oct, 2012 09:36 am

Have you worked on your swagger? That's an important security guard feature.
I went to a stake training meeting last night, carpooled with the rest of the presidency. I started to feel overwhelmed at the responsibility we have, but then I figured if we're supposed to do something, we'll be able to do it. And I even got my way about presidency meetings without having to ask! I would much prefer to have them at my house than go somewhere, but I live on the edge of the ward, and some people are 20 minutes away from me (and another 15-20 to the stake center) so I thought they might not want to come to my house. But they were going to start the meetings at 8:00 so the president could try to get her kids to bed before we start, which would mean I wouldn't be home until nearly 10:30, which is WAY past my bedtime. But she said, jokingly, "Unless you want to have it at your house." I had been going to offer, but didn't have much hope, but they all agreed that they could leave their husbands to put the kids to bed, so we can start at 7, and we'll finish around 9 and I will already be home. And they, being stay-at-home moms, don't mind going out and getting away from the house at night, whereas I, having been at work all day, don't ever want to leave my house once I get home. So we're all happy, so far.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 09:51 am

We had our first presidency meeting last night. I'm overwhelmed all over again. For example, I have to do the presidency welcome at a baptism on December 1, and I won't have even been to one in our ward to see what the president usually does. She said she tells them a story and I don't know what all. I will have the benefit of going to Lindsay's baptism TOMORROW, though, so if I do it more like that president and less like my president, I don't think it will be a problem.

But then I'm in charge of the Baptism Preview in January, and I've never been to one of those at all. And I have to do Sharing Times that month, and don't know how to do that. I'll be conducting in November, and I'll be fine with that, and I'm not yet dreading having to write the sacrament meeting program, but maybe that's just because it's still so far away. I think, though, that because that's such a big thing, I feel confident. It's the little things that I feel like I shouldn't even be worried about that are scaring me.

We also have to divide five classes for next year, which means finding at least five more teachers, but probably ten, since they like to double up. And we're already using all the available classrooms, so I don't know where we'll put them.

SDR

Postby SDR » Sun 04 Nov, 2012 09:02 pm

So, in addition to my previously mentioned calling, Sandee & I were called today to teach 12 & 13 years old Sunday School. Since Sandee is a teacher, I think I will assume the role of class principal. HA!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 10:22 am

How many kids are in the class? That can be a fun age to teach, but they can also be pretty challenging.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 08:31 pm

I'm not sure. There is some discussion about whether they're going to split it into two classes or call two pairs of teachers. We'll see soon, I guess!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 08:56 pm

Well, gosh. I guess I plumb forgot to tell you all that a few weeks ago, I was called as a substitute, to teach the 14 & 15-year-olds. There are only a few, and I can't get a straight answer as to who actually belongs in the class, because there has been no reliable teacher for that class for so long that most of the kids just go to class with an older sibling. I mean, there are 3, as far as I know. Maybe 4.

I'm supposed to be "co-teaching" with this other guy in our ward who sometimes has to work the Saturday midnight shift at the hospital at the last minute (he's a nursing supervisor or something), so he's supposed to let me know when he isn't going to be there.

So far, I prepared one lesson and sort of taught it, but DANG!!! Those kids all grew up in the church and know way more than I do about Third Nephi, and we get sidetracked off into related discussions, which I think is good and helpful (it's basically the only time anyone looks fully awake). But I don't want to do a bad job.

I've never taught classes before. Hard to believe, I know, but I haven't. Not more than once or twice to sub, I mean. Never been called as a regular Sunday School, Primary, Relief Society, or YM/YW teacher since I first joined the church in 1973. Weird.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 09:46 am

Those lessons and lesson manuals are great, KareNin. And you never know when one concept or another from the scriptures has totally gone over the head of even an active, smart kid. Or adult, for that matter. I had a Beehive once who had been to church every week of her life, more or less, who didn't know who the current Prophet was. So I'm sure you have a lot to teach them, and that's good that they help teach each other, too.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Sat 24 Nov, 2012 02:57 am

Soon after we moved to our ward in March, I was called to be the YW secretary. A couple weeks ago, I was released, and last week I was called to be the assistant Mia Maid adviser. I am glad to still be in YW, I wasn't ready to leave yet. I am a little hesitant to be teaching, especially with the new youth curriculum starting next year. The girls are great, though, and I am excited to be working with them.

Good luck to everyone else in their new callings, too!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

SDR

Postby SDR » Sat 24 Nov, 2012 11:27 am

Last Sunday was our first lesson. We made it a social time to get to know them, their interests, etc. I'm glad Sandee is there, as I would not have made it otherwise.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 25 Nov, 2012 01:34 pm

Okay, Scooter, good idea. I talked to the SS President today, and I committed to preparing a lesson and teaching it next week.

Sandee, what time should I pick you up from the airport?

SDR

Postby SDR » Sun 25 Nov, 2012 01:46 pm

You'll have to ask Sandee on FB, she doesn't inhabit the village.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 12:05 pm

So, you're okay with the plan, Scott? I figured maybe you could just ask her for me...

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 01:05 pm

The asking is easy. The answer is probably also easy. ;)

Regardless, still need to find airfare...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:11 pm

Karen, you will be fine! Remember, you wouldn't have been called if the Lord didn't have confidence in you!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 06 Dec, 2012 01:15 pm

Karen, how did SS go? Inquiring minds want to know!

I had to go to Ward Council Sunday, because the president was out of town. That was fine. Went straight to choir practice, where I was the only alto who could carry a tune. From there I had to hurry to set up chairs in Primary, because our Primary is at least twice the size of the one that sets up chairs in the morning. Sometime in there I got texts telling me that two of the teachers and the other counselor would be out...the counselor who was supposed to conduct. So I changed my mindset and quickly wrote out the agenda, birthdays, etc. and was ready to greet the kids when they came in. Pianist was out, but she had called a sub, the husband of the chorister. Just before we started, he remembered that he wouldn't be in there for the second hour, so I said I'd do that, too. I ran back and forth between the podium and the piano, but it worked out okay. I felt valuable that day, that's for sure!

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 06 Dec, 2012 01:36 pm

:shock: Wow, good job Momma.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 02:41 pm

Ha. This past Sunday the counselor who was conducting was late, 15 minutes late to Primary, which isn't even the first meeting of the block. But the president conducted until she got there, even though she was also doing sharing time. We noticed that one of the teachers for Jr. Primary wasn't there, so Pres. texted her and found out she was out of town and had not gotten a sub. Rather than go pull someone out of SS and have them wing a lesson, I grabbed a manual and read it over really quick. I have confidence in my ability to wing it, as long as I have a book to guide me. It went pretty well, except I was very surprised that none of the kids had ever heard of Noah's Ark. But now they have, and this morning in the newspaper there was an article about a man in the Netherlands who has built a full-size replica of the ark, and there was a picture of it, so I copied it and I'm going to mail it to all the kids who were in the class.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 02:27 pm

I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment. My sister is in the stake YW presidency, and she called to ask me to do a workshop at the Personal Progress fair Saturday morning. I'll do a 40-minute workshop on Divine Nature, three times in a row. I don't say no to my sister (and I have to say, she knows me really well and is careful not to ask me things that are way out of my realm, like go to camp or something) and I really can't say no to things like that as the wife of a stake presidency member, either, so I said yes. And that's more or less coming together. We are going to the temple Friday night and will get home late, and that adds to my trepidation because I like to have the night before to cram, I guess.
I've been working on it, and I think it will be okay. Then last night we had a Primary presidency meeting, and we were mostly discussing the upcoming Baptism Preview. Last year the 1st counselor conducted it, and the president gave a talk, but since I just spoke at my granddaughter's baptism in November, I offered to do the talk. I assumed the president would then conduct, but she didn't get that part, so I'm doing that, too. And then I found out I also have to call people to give prayers and demonstrate the baptism and call the baptism coordinator to have her talk, and I had already said I'd just do the refreshments, and then I found out I also was supposed to print the program. Luckily someone else said they'd do that, if I will get the information to her soon enough. But it's next week! AND I have Sharing Time this month. So I was feeling really stressed, but then I reminded myself that in total, it's not that much time, and if I do one thing at a time I can get through it.

Plus, eventually it will be over!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 03:54 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Plus, eventually it will be over!

THAT would be the important part. It's what I have to keep reminding myself of, since next week I have three kids to take to two doctors' appointments, one Wednesday night activity to plan and present (crochet night--how hard can it be? (famous last words)), a Pinterest recipe party on Friday, and a youth dance to chaperone on Saturday. My stomach clenches every time I think about it! But I can do one thing at a time. Easy peasy.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Return to “Religion”