New Calling

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Re: New Calling

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 04:01 pm

See, that youth dance chaperoning is another example of the things my sister wouldn't ask me to do. I count myself lucky on that.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 04:24 pm

Last night the young men & young women had a combined activity: learning to date. I normally have to pry details of activities from Stanley after he gets home, but last night he asked me "guess what I did at scouts tonight" (or something to that effect). I said I had no idea and he replied "I went on my first date". My response: "I hope you had a combined activity with the young women." HA! I slay me.

Note that, while I have *zero* problem with this, Stanley is only 15 and his date was only 14. I hope the leaders running it made it the worst experience possible so that I don't have to deal with it again for a few more years. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 03:20 pm

It's driving me crazy with the upcoming ward split to not know if I will still be in the Primary presidency or not. I'll still have my other calling, Ward Historian, unless the new bishopric decides they don't need it. All I do is keep track of who gives prayers and the sustainings and releases, and I email it to the bishopric once a month or so. I've also been recording who is baptized and ordained, and that has actually helped at least once, when no one could remember when a person was baptized.

I will still be in the Primary presidency if the president is still in the LE Ward. If she's not, the presidency is dissolved. One of the ways I'd divide the ward, if anyone had asked me, would have her area still in the ward, but that doesn't fit with something else I think I have figured out. It's driving me crazy! Rocky has to go outside almost every time his phone rings, because it's always something about the new wards or bishops or something. But I always find things like this really exciting. I love that it indicates growth.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 05:00 pm

I would hazard a guess that you will continue to be in the Primary Presidency regardless. If your current presidency ends up getting dissolved, I wouldn't be surprised if you were called again. Maybe this time as the president!

I've heard of one ward split where they got very creative with the new ward boundaries because they really needed a specific person to be the bishop. They basically drew a circle around his house with a line connecting him to the ward they needed him to be in.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 05:31 pm

I've been kind of living in fear that I will be the Primary president. On the other hand, we have SO many younger women who don't work full-time and whose husbands aren't in the stake presidency and who know how to use Pinterest and everything and who don't have arthritis and fibromyalgia and an autoimmune disease, and who could do a great job. I could do the organizing and the basics, but the president (and the secretary) in our ward now do so many creative things with lists and bulletin boards and stuff like that, where I have no talent whatsoever. So I think I might be safe, and I'll be happy to be a counselor again, or not. I've been praying that I will be willing and enthusiastic to do whatever I'm called to do.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 05:35 pm

I also keep thinking that if I could just figure out who the bishops will be, I could draw the wards around them. :D

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 07 Mar, 2013 04:21 pm

I dreamed last night who one of the new bishops would be. We'll see if I was right. He'd be a fairly logical choice, which I'm sure is why I dreamed it. I will have no claim to fame if it's true.

My sister said she'd heard the name of the new ward. It could very well be, but Rocky hasn't even hinted at that. I hope it's not what she said, because it's a word that people always pronounce wrong.

I just realized that we have to change the clocks Saturday night. Our "business" meeting, where we will find out the ward boundaries, is at 8:30, and then we will have a shortened sacrament meeting at 9, where the new leaders will be sustained. I wonder how many people will miss it because they forget to change their clocks. I hope one of them is not me. That would be embarrassing.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:45 am

It was truly amazing how many people were on time to church Sunday! At 8:30 we were almost to the back of the cultural hall already. I had my own new bishop pegged, even though he's just a youngster, but not the other one. He is a very quiet man, and just never came to mind. Actually, the qualifications I was looking for, because Rocky told me months ago that they look for particular experience in a new bishop, turned out to not be a part of it. He said they like a bishop to have high council experience, so that's what I was looking for. Turns out five of the six new bishopric members have no high council experience, and only one (a different one) has bishopric experience. So it's all pretty exciting. And I haven't had a call yet, so I'm assuming I'm off the hook for being president of anything. ALL auxiliary presidents were released because they're in the new ward, except Sunday School. My son Chris is the SS secretary, and the president isn't there very often, so it's all kind of on him...and all four youth SS teachers are in the other ward. Even though Chris is the one who feels responsible to run around and get subs when the teachers don't show up, he doesn't have the authority to call teachers, so I hope that happens.

I actually have the new Primary president picked out. I don't know if she would choose me for a counselor or not. Even though I believe callings come from the Lord, I also know that He's going to take into consideration whose schedules and personalities work together, and my working full-time could be an issue with a parent of teenagers, for example, because they don't have free evenings for presidency meetings.

It's all very exciting, anyway!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 11:52 am

I just realized, in talking with the former Primary president and an assistant, who is the wife of our one remaining bishopric member, that SOMEONE is going to need to be prepared for Sunday, Sharing Time and singing time. I don't even know for sure which teachers are still in the ward, but I can figure that out easily enough. But since I haven't been called, and I don't know if someone HAS, it feels really weird to be planning to handle it. I guess I will prepare a Sharing Time and a singing time, and the other person who was in the presidency can do the piano, and we'll just hope enough teachers show up to handle all the classes. We used to have two classes in each age group, with 8-10 kids and two teachers in each class, so I would hope that at least half of them will be in the ward and will come prepared. We TOLD them to, but you know how that goes!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 11:14 am

Yesterday was an adventure. First of all, I was called to be the 1st counselor again, and the president is not the person I had picked out (she's the new YW president) but someone I think will be even better. But I wasn't called until 8:30 Saturday night, and in the meantime, I had everything prepared. I planned singing time and sharing time and had also made class lists by taking the old lists and crossing out everyone who is in the new ward. That would have been time-consuming for almost anyone else, but was easy for me because I know streets and number patterns, so it only took a few minutes. Then I checked on the teachers and found out we have at least one for each class, except CTR 4, but we also had all four Sunbeam teachers remaining with us. So it was easy to ask two of the Sunbeam teachers to do CTR 4 for this week instead. Unfortunately, they were both called to YM and YW and couldn't teach after all, but we found a replacement easily enough. So the new president was able to sit in the back and observe, while I conducted, did singing time and sharing time. All me, all the time, from 9:50 - 11:30. I was glad when it was over, but it went really, really well. And next week I won't even be there, and neither will the other counselor, so I hope things work out okay. I think they will.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 08:46 am

Way to be prepared, Momma! It sounds like you are in exactly the calling you need to be.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 10:40 am

I really think I am! And it's funny, because when I was called, back in October, I said, out loud, several times, "Maybe the ward will be split before long and I won't have to do it any more." But I have just gotten fairly comfortable, and would have been very disappointed if I'd been released. I tried to prepare myself for the calling I would LEAST enjoy, just in case. I think that would be Cub Scouts, and it's really not likely I'll ever have to do that one again, but one never knows. I think if I wasn't where I am, my next choice would be a youth Sunday School teacher, and I knew they'd need a lot of those, too. But here I am, and I'm so happy!

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 11:30 am

Speaking of youth Sunday School teacher, that's my new calling (again)! I taught the 12-year-olds for about a year when we first moved into this ward (two different groups of kids, since the year crossed over two calendar years), then I got put in with the deacons for a few months, so I was still with most of the boys from both of my classes, and then I got called to teach the 13-year-olds, so I was back with the kids from my class the previous year. Then our ward mission leader got called to the high council and they called me to replace him, which bummed a lot of people out (including my class, me, and the bishop). Back in January, they decided to have the 12 kids who are seniors in high school have their own Sunday School class, with the same new curriculum as everyone else, but with a focus on missionary work and preparing for missions, since missions are now closer for them than they were before. When I heard the Sunday School president mention that in ward council, I said, "That sounds like a great class for the ward mission leader to teach!" The bishop agreed, so I've been teaching it for the last couple months. This past week, they were shaking up a lot of the ward (new primary presidency and YW presidency), so the outgoing YW President's husband was now available for a more time-consuming calling, so they called him as WML and let me just teach my Sunday School class.

I enjoyed a lot of things about being ward mission leader, but it's the first time in my life that I've had a calling that I felt like I was really bad at. I love missionary work, but it's a lot easier for me to talk to strangers than to go to my next-door neighbor and say, "Hey neighbor, I know we've lived next door to each other for a couple years and only had three conversations, but why don't you tell me why you don't come to church? This won't make it awkward for the next 20 years that we're neighbors, will it?"
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 10:43 am

I'd love to have Jeff as my teenager's Sunday School teacher.
I got to do one of the easiest parts of my calling last night: make cookies. We're having an Easter Egg party tomorrow evening, and we made it really easy, with families bringing their own dinner and filled eggs, and all we have to provide is dessert. So I'm making 12 dozen cookies or so, and probably a double batch of brownies, and I started last night.

Sometimes even hard callings can be easy!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 11:42 am

You should have seen the Easter eggs "hidden" all over the park where we had the party Friday night. Each child provided a dozen eggs, and probably 80 or more kids participated, so the eggs weren't so much hidden as scattered. We did hide some in bushes and in trees, but mostly they just littered the lawn area. The kids had fun, anyway, and the families just picnicked after the egg hunt. LOTS of leftover cookies, since two presidencies provided about 10-12 dozen each. Only one kid actually threw up, as far as I know. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:22 am

I'm a little frustrated. Our chorister came yesterday, her third week, and didn't know what songs to do. she had a list of fun songs to sing as a filler, but hadn't even chosen an opening song, and was asking the president, who was conducting, what she wanted to sing for an opening song! So of course now the president has asked me to talk to her and tell her what songs I want her to do. Come on, man!

We're also having a problem because after the ward split, there are not many pianists left. One is the ward organist, one plays for RS, one is in the bishopric, one in the YW presidency, and two of us are Primary counselors. And that's it. I'm thinking maybe we could get the sacrament meeting organist for half and the YW counselor for the other half or something, but in the meantime, the other counselor is the official pianist. Next month she'll be conducting, though, and that won't work, so I'll do piano and sharing time. So I really need the chorister to choose her own songs!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 08:52 pm

And the other counselor's aunt died in Provo, so she won't be there, so this week I have to play and the President will have to do sharing time and conduct. And HER parents are in town just for Sunday, so she can't go to ward council, so she asked if counselors are allowed to go, and I texted back, "Yes, what time?" And she said she's so happy to have me! I love being appreciated! Meeting is at 7 a.m. so I guess I'd better practice my piano some more tonight.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:53 pm

We only had a total of 26 in Primary Sunday, so we are going to combine Jr. and Sr. for the next several months, at least until the end of the year. On the one hand, in some ways it's harder to do singing and sharing time for a combined group because of the wide age difference, but the main thing we noticed on Sunday was that with only 11 in Jr., they don't sing, and they're not going to even learn the songs because they don't hear anyone singing. The older Jrs. were trying, but they're not loud enough to help much, so it felt like the chorister doing a solo.

We might even be able to get a pianist, since it's only for half the time! Although the two I would hope for are busy third hour, when we would need them, so that still doesn't help.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 07 May, 2013 03:00 pm

We will start this Sunday having classes first, and Sharing Time last. The problem I see now, and it could be a big one, is that we have a couple of teachers who can't get to church at 8:30, so they aim for 9:40, when sacrament meeting gets out, but they don't aim well, so they don't arrive until 10:00 or a little later. Then they will still have to get their whatever from the library, and in the meantime the kids will be waiting in the classroom, probably not patiently and reverently. So as a presidency, our first 20 minutes will be checking on teachers, not knowing if the missing ones are coming or not, so we'll grab subs, and then maybe the teacher will show up.

This annoys me just a tad, but we'll have to do some respectful interviews and see if we can make it work.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 08 May, 2013 09:51 am

Good luck! I think being in the primary presidency has got to be SO frustrating sometimes. Children are supposed to be our priority, but some of those called to be primary teachers so obviously don't get it.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Return to “Religion”