General Priesthood Meeting broadcast live on TV and online

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

robcan2

General Priesthood Meeting broadcast live on TV and online

Postby robcan2 » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 08:33 am

I was excited when I read this article. My Dad and brothers and I always go to the BYU Marriott Center to watch the Priesthood Session. This has been a long standing tradition since before I was old enough to attend, that I have long felt has been unnecessary since there are now so many more convenient places. But my dad and some of my brothers liked the tradition even though it means driving farther than necessary, sitting in uncomfortable chairs, and craning our necks to watch on the jumbo-tron thing.

This time, I successfully convinced my dad to have us watch it at my house. One of my brothers brought this other article to our attention in an effort to persuade us otherwise. It did give me pause, but I'm still happy about watching in my house.

I thought it was interesting that the KSL article indicated that the organization Ordain Women interpreted this change as the Church's way of being more inclusive to women. I think that's balderdash, personally, but what do I know. I think it's great if women read the talks, or watch them live or recorded, but I don't think it's quite what Ordain Women think it is.

Anyone else planning to watch at home? Am I silly for watching it at my house when I could go to a church building within walking distance from my house to watch it?
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Re: General Priesthood Meeting broadcast live on TV and onli

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 04:02 pm

I'm pretty sure Rocky will still go to the stake center for it, and probably would even if he wasn't in the stake presidency. But sometimes things come up where it wouldn't be possible to go, at least for most people, so it's good that it can be recorded and watched later.

There might be less people watching the broadcast, but there could be more watching it overall.

Momma Snider

Re: General Priesthood Meeting broadcast live on TV and onli

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 09:29 am

I missed my chance. After watching four hours on Saturday, without my usual nap in between, I was not in the frame of mind to watch two more hours. I wonder if the women who demanded entrance had watched the first two sessions. I did set the DVR for it, and will probably watch it later, just as I always read it in the Ensign.

I sure did like the four sessions I did watch. "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith" hit Facebook within minutes. I like it.

I recently found a quote from President Hinckley in my purse: "It will all work out in the end, and if it's not working out, it must not be the end." Love it. That's kind of my philosophy of life anyway (well, in my words it's "It will be okay, and then it will be over") so I like having it in a prophet's words.

Return to “Religion”