What's for Dinner?

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

quidscribis

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby quidscribis » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 01:44 am

But, Momma, you did visit my blog and leave a comment. On May 17th. You must have forgotten. :) That, or someone impersonated you. ;)

Karenin, Yeah, I would have liked it if things had worked out, but, honestly? It felt like it was the right time to leave. Why we were there for only half a year I can only guess at, but there was a purpose for it. And now we're sorting out our next move and feeling like that's going according to plan as well. So, yes, I would have liked to stay there longer, but I'm also completely okay with how things are as well. :)

Except for the heat. Don't like the heat.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 02:47 pm

Ha! That totally sounds like me. I guess all I forgot to do was set a bookmark for your blog, and then forgot that I forgot.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 07:14 pm

:D Sounds like something I would do. :D
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:30 am

My daughter made a delicious dinner last night. She used thin-sliced boneless chicken breasts, and just wrapped each one around a slice of roasted red pepper and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge and baked them. She usually also puts in a slice of a Portabello mushroom, but Rocky and Chris don't like mushrooms, so we missed out on that. Anyway, it was really good!

I bought the thin-sliced chicken because I had a coupon and it was nearly expired, so there was a $2 off coupon on the package, but I'm thinking that regular boneless chicken would also work if I pound it out.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:34 pm

We need something new posted over here!

Keri's Super Easy Chicken & Dumplings

A rotisserie chicken (or leftover chicken from the night before)
2 "bricks" low sodium chicken broth
1/3 packet of Ann's Frozen Dumplings
Veggies you like
Salt & pepper to taste
Poultry Seasoning
corn starch
1 tbsp olive oil

I put a tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of a big pot, then saute some onions and maybe carrots in there until they go soft. Then add the low sodium chicken broth. While that is coming to a boil, I shred the chicken off the bone. Add it to the pot whenever you're done. Then I add whatever frozen veggies my family will actually eat. So, for us that's peas and corn kernals. Once it finally starts boiling, I open up the package of frozen dumplings, and start breaking the strips up into thirds and popping them in. Add salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to taste. Once the dumplings are cooked, make a slurry of corn starch and water and add a little at a time until it reaches the thickness you like. Serve.

As you can see, there are no exact measurements in this recipe, because I totally wing it. But it's a great way to use up leftover chicken, or veggies. And you can have the whole thing done in 30 minutes, easy.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

robcan2

Re:

Postby robcan2 » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 01:36 pm

Ignatz Mouse wrote:For some reason, when it gets cold the cook in me comes out and wants hot food I don't have to talk to a box to get. Usually I make soup, but I found a recipe recently for Penne Bolognese that I modified a little that I am a little too proud of. Here 'tis:

2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, minced
2 carrots, minced
2 ribs celery, minced
1 lb. mild Italian sausage (or hot if you're insane)
1 C. dry white wine (if you're not one to use wine to cook with, Sutter Home makes a de-alcohol-ed Chardonnay under the "Fre" label, or you could use one of those horrible "cooking wines," but if you do, omit the salt later. If you do use real wine, I'm kinda partial to Pinot Grigio for this recipe.
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
2 1/2 C. low-fat milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper (or less depending on your heat threshold)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 15-oz. pkg. penne pasta
1/2 C. chopped fresh parsley
6 T. grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, celery and 1/3 C. water and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage and cook until no longer pink. Add the wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, 1 1/2 C. of the milk, and the salt, pepper, and oregano. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the milk has been absorbed. Continue to cook until the sauce is thick and creamy, gradually adding the remaining C. of milk until it has all been absorbed, about 20 minutes longer. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot until just tender. Drain well. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and add the sauce, parsley and Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.

I was going to say "Bon appetit" in Italian, but then realized I don't know Italian. Dang.
We have a cafeteria where I work and they are having a contest asking employees to submit recipes. They took all of the entries and this week and next week are serving the ones they thought were the best. Then employees will vote on their favorites and the winners will get some kind of prize. So, I submitted this Penne Bolognese recipe and they served it today! I had never made it on my own, but it was quite tasty.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 06:19 am

This dish sounds delicious, despite the fact that it is tainted with [blech] sausage.
I'm one of the insane people who love hot, spicy food, and lots of cracked black pepper, so it looks to be right up my alley.

Thanks, Robcan! Good to see you're still alive and employed. ;-)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 12:17 pm

I'd say the same to you, KareNin! The alive part, anyway.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 06:05 pm

Erg. I did it again, didn't I? You wrote me a long, long email that came just at a time when I was in a deep slump and didn't answer it right away.

Then things got entirely crazy and hectic and I was exhausted all the time and I'll essplain it all in an email to you. I'm so sorry. Again.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 07:31 pm

You don't have to apologize! But I look forward to hearing from you. I haven't seen you on Facebook much, either, so I figured you weren't well.

Speaking of Facebook, and to keep on task here, I saw a recipe on FB that I want to make. Maybe this Cheaturday, when I'm at Jeff's. Just so you know, I'll be leaving off the peanuts.

1 box box devils food cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake
1 can(s) can sweetened condensed milk
1 jar(s) jar smucker's hot caramel ice cream topping
1/2 c cup chocolate chips
2 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 snickers candy bars, chopped
1/3 c peanuts, chopped
caramel sauce
chocolate sauce
Directions
1. Bake cake in a 9x13-inch pan according to direction on the package.
2. While cake is baking, mix condensed milk and hot caramel topping until well blended. When the cake is done and while it's still hot, poke holes in it with a fork or straw. Pour milk mixture over the cake. Allow cake to cool completely. Sprinkle chocolate chips over cake.
3. In a chilled bowl, whip together heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip on high speed of an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes. Stir in chopped snickers. Spread over cake. Sprinkle chopped peanuts over cake. Drizzle caramel and chocolate sauce on top. Chill.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:43 am

Let me know how that one turns out Momma. It kind of sounds both delicious and disgusting at the same time.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:47 pm

I thought it was really, really good, except for the corners, which tasted kind of scorched. I don't know if you're supposed to do something different when you bake a cake at high altitude or not. The chopped Snickers bars didn't do a thing for me, but the combination of caramel topping and sweetened condensed milk in chocolate cake was heavenly. The cake wasn't soggy at all. And the whipped cream sweetened with powdered sugar and vanilla tasted just like Cool Whip, so that step could have been cheaper, as well as easier.

The main problem with it was that it's so rich, I couldn't eat more than one piece, and there was still some left after Cheat Day was over. Still is. That is, indeed, a problem.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 07:43 am

Just let it be a problem for someone else to solve.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Sep, 2013 12:03 pm

My granddaughter, Emily, loves Hamburger Helper stroganoff. I make it about every other Tuesday, when she's here so she can go to Mutual. Just this week my husband finally said that he can hardly stand to eat it, and he wants me to go back to making it the way I used to in the olden days. that's funny, because I've NEVER made it the real way, where you cook the meat and make the sauce with sour cream. I do use the store brand sometimes, and I like it better than the official brand, and quite often I cook the noodles separately, while the hamburger is cooking, so as to speed up the process, so I'm thinking maybe that's what he means.

But for a while maybe I'll see what else Emily likes.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 05 Sep, 2013 06:38 pm

I've never actually made stroganoff the proper way. Beef makes the husband's eczema worse, so I use deer or goat instead. And, in Sri Lanka, where so many ingredients don't exist, I fudged things mercilessly. In Singapore, I come closer to doing it properly, except that I usually forget to buy sour cream, so I add lemon juice to cream instead and call it a day. And I almost never make noodles with it, instead going with rice.

So, meh. Do it however it works best. :)
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:30 am

Our new favorite dinner is one of the easiest yet, and it fits with The Diet, yet those who are not dieting this way like it, too.

Cook some ground beef. Drain and rinse the grease off. (I mostly do that so I can eat the stuff cold without clumps of congealed fat.) Add a can each of diced tomatoes, pinto beans, kidney beans, white beans, whatever kind of beans you like, and some taco seasoning or chili seasoning or whatever you use when you make chili. I use packaged taco seasoning with a little extra cumin. It would be good with onion sauteed in the hamburger, if you remember, but it's really good even when I don't. I usually use three cans of beans, one of tomatoes, and a pound or so of ground beef.

It's even better when I use chicken!

You can cook it in a crockpot, or simmer it for a while, but you can also just throw it together long enough to heat. No one knows the difference!

mistytsim

Postby mistytsim » Fri 18 Oct, 2013 06:52 am

Tonight I am making cabbage rolls for KareNin. Anyone have a great recipe they'd like to share?
Technically I am a giant wiener. The costume tag says "wiener."

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 01:03 pm

How did the cabbage rolls turn out? They always sound good to me, but I doubt that they'd go over well with Chris and Rocky. Joy, maybe or maybe not.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 07:14 am

She said those words, but she lied them.

There have been no cabbage rolls. I still hungrily await their appearance upon my table...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 09:36 am

I looked up a recipe to see what's in cabbage rolls, and I think I could get away with it. By the time the cabbage is cooked, they might not even know that's what it is. They like stuffed bell peppers, and that's kind of the same filling, except I use taco seasoning in the filling. So I know they'd like the inside, and if they didn't want to eat the cabbage, they could unroll it.

The only dilemma would be toothpicks, if I really had to secure the rolls. I've bought toothpicks twice in my married life, and I think I'm almost out.

Return to “Recipes”