What's for Dinner?

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

InOregon

What's for Dinner?

Postby InOregon » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 01:06 pm

I planned my menu for the week yesterday and my family is having jebelsoup with tortillas (the new name, FYI) thursday. I was thinking, with as many people who like to cook on this board, that it might be interesting to share what's for dinner and maybe wind up with a few new recipes to boot.

So, tonight, we are having a stuffed pumpkin.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 01:59 pm

InOregon--I do weekly meal planning too! I cannot function without knowing what's for dinner. Tonight we are doing something really easy because I have to go early to Enrichment tonight because I am performing a really stupid one-woman skit that I wrote. We are having hamburgers on the grill. Last night we had vegetable soup (the recipe changes every time I fix it because it depends on what veggies, meat, grains I have on hand). Tomorrow the menu features ribs, Thursday is Black Bean and Chicken Enchiladas, Friday is Shepherd's Pie, Saturday is our order-pizza-or-get-Taco-Bell night, and Sunday is Roast in the Crockpot.

I love food!

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:14 pm

Black bean and chicken enchiladas sound delicious! What's in them? Uh...besides black beans and chicken....
Last edited by InOregon on Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:14 pm

Dinner....um.....I dunno. by the time I get home, It seems like it takes forever to make it. Probably Grilled cheese sandwiches if I'm cooking.

Mark

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:24 pm

Black Bean and Chicken enchiladas:

2 c. cooked chicken, diced
2/3 c. green taco sauce (green sauce with tomatillos in it--La Victoria makes it. Or check the Spanish foods section in the grocery store)
2/3 c. sour cream
1 or 2 cans black beans, drained
1 c. cooked rice
1 c. + 1/2 c. grated cheese (1 c. to go in the tortilla, 1/2 c. to go on top)
a jar of salsa
10 or so flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350
mix together everything except 1/2 c. grated cheese, salsa and tortillas. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the mixture into a tortilla, roll it up, and place it seam down in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Continue until all mix is used up. Pour the jar of salsa over the tortillas, sprinkle with cheese. Cook for 20 or so. This varies, so pay attention to it while it's in the oven.

And what is in the stuffed pumpkin?

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:38 pm

I love the name jebelsoup!!!

Unfortunately I am boring and single and cook just for myself now that the boyfriend is in PA. That means I get takeout or eat leftover Halloween candy or a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dinner. Hmmm.... actually, your kids might love having dinner with me!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:39 pm

Oh My Yummy! Black Bean and Chicken Enchiladas are on the menu for next week.

Stuffed Pumpkin (FYI: I never follow recipes exactly, so I may be off on a thing or two)

1 medium pumpkin, with a "lid" cut into it and the seeds removed

1 lb. ground beef (although I've used chicken, too)
Brown with onion. Drain, and add:

2-3 cups cooked rice (I like more rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup (The husband calls this Mormon spice)
1 can mushrooms
1/2 c sour cream
1 can water chestnuts
2 T soy sauce
2 T brown sugar

Stir together and fill pumpkin with mixture.

Bake on a cookie sheet for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

When you serve it, you scoop out the casserole from the pumpkin and then scoop out some pumpkin.

It's easy clean-up, too!

CherrySlurpees

Postby CherrySlurpees » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:55 pm

GenAdFemale wrote: Or check the Spanish foods section in the grocery store)

You mean Mexican, right? Cause Spaniards don't really like spice, except saffron, which they are just mad about.

I just made some chicken noodle soup, no, not from a can. Cause I'm sick and I want something warm comforting my throat.

I love to cook, but rarely use recipes. Mostly cause I don't have all the ingredients involved in a recipe. So I make adjustments. And recipe is an odd word. Oh yeah, and I've had stuffed pumpkin, we used to have it for Halloween dinner. It's yummy.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 03:21 pm

You mean Mexican, right?

That I do. Silly me. And I hope you feel better, CS.

And now I'm sad that I threw out an unused pumpkin that we had for Halloween--it would have been useful for the pumpkin soup.

smeetuffe

Postby smeetuffe » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 06:39 pm

I never have enough bravery to step out on my own and make things without a recipe. Which leads to a lot of Food Network watching (well, not lately) and currently the best turkey ever... really, which I've made for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past two years.

I'm not having it for dinner tonight, but I figure I'd give you the opportunity to peruse the recipe in case you wanted to try it sometime (the first time I saw the episode, I didn't have enough time to make it... so I had to wait a month), and if you can catch Good Eats around Thanksgiving to watch "Romancing the Bird" then, by all means, do so. Nevermore do I face the drudgery that is super dry turkey.

Sadly no Thanksgiving for me this year, so I have to wait till Christmas to have the best turkey eva'.

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 06:45 pm

I made that turkey last year. It was great. Alton rocks! He'd kick Emeril's cookin' butt any day.

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 06:55 pm

Alton? You mean Thomas Dolby? hee hee!

I saw his recipe last year but didn't try it. If the two of you will swear by it, I'll do it this year.

To avoid a dry bird, I always roast mine breast side down. Granted, it's not as pretty, but I always have the juciest meat that way.

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 06:59 pm

Go for it. You won't be sorry.

CherrySlurpees

Postby CherrySlurpees » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:38 pm

I'm here to testify about the Alton Brown Turkey Brining method. Not only am I THE Hugest Alton Brown fan (have filled my ReplayTV's hard disk up with so many episodes of Good Eats I hardly have room enough for Angel and I own his book), but when I made that Turkey last year, the entire family said it was the best turkey they'd ever had. I'm on potatoes and stuffing duty this year, but am thinking of purchasing a smallish turkey just for myself so I can soak it in the Alton Brine and have yummy turkey and cranberry sandwiches the entire week after.

And Emeril? Can't stand the man. Have never found his show interesting. The new How to Boil Water? Weak. But Alton Brown? He cooks food for the normal folk.

Thanks, I am feeling better. Chicken noodle soup has magical properties.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:45 pm

I was wrong about the grilled cheese. I'm making boiled hot dogs and salad.

Mark

Ignatz Mouse
Location: SLC (but wish I was in Kokonino Kounty, throwing bricks at kats)

Postby Ignatz Mouse » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 08:32 pm

For some reason, when it gets cold the cook in me comes out and wants hot food I don't have to talk to a box to get. Usually I make soup, but I found a recipe recently for Penne Bolognese that I modified a little that I am a little too proud of. Here 'tis:

2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, minced
2 carrots, minced
2 ribs celery, minced
1 lb. mild Italian sausage (or hot if you're insane)
1 C. dry white wine (if you're not one to use wine to cook with, Sutter Home makes a de-alcohol-ed Chardonnay under the "Fre" label, or you could use one of those horrible "cooking wines," but if you do, omit the salt later. If you do use real wine, I'm kinda partial to Pinot Grigio for this recipe.
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
2 1/2 C. low-fat milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper (or less depending on your heat threshold)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 15-oz. pkg. penne pasta
1/2 C. chopped fresh parsley
6 T. grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, celery and 1/3 C. water and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage and cook until no longer pink. Add the wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, 1 1/2 C. of the milk, and the salt, pepper, and oregano. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the milk has been absorbed. Continue to cook until the sauce is thick and creamy, gradually adding the remaining C. of milk until it has all been absorbed, about 20 minutes longer. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot until just tender. Drain well. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and add the sauce, parsley and Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.

I was going to say "Bon appetit" in Italian, but then realized I don't know Italian. Dang.
Ignatz Mouse, a young rodent, calm and serene,
Wicked and sinful, and vicious and mean,
On his journey of mischief here can be seen,
For to bend a big brick over Krazy Kat's bean.

gamma_helix

Postby gamma_helix » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:56 pm

And for those concerned about the wine, rest assured: ethanol boils at 78.3 degrees C. :wink:

IdiotSavant

Postby IdiotSavant » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 10:38 pm

CherrySlurpees--

I am not so sure you are THE hugest AB fan. I love him more. In fact--he inspired me to go back to school where I am studying Food Science (I also love Shirley Corriher). Add to that the fact that in a previous life I was an anthropology major--so I could be just like Deb Duchon (the nutritional anthropologist). I love AB so much that I dress up like him for Halloween (well, honestly I try to alternate between him and Lance Armstrong).

I saw you confess your love of AB in the 3 things I confess thread, but was too lazy to try and remember my password--so it had to wait until now.

Oh yeah--I had potato chips and mandarin oranges for dinner!

DrChumley

Postby DrChumley » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:30 pm

Just to add my $0.02: I've made Alton's turkey recipe several times since then, and I too have had everyone tell me that it's the best turkey they've ever had. It's incredible.
Some people are like slinkies: They don't really serve a purpose, but it still brings a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
<a href="http://blog.mattarmstrongmusic.com">Shameless Blog Plug Here!</a>

mistytsim

Postby mistytsim » Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:36 pm

Jeff. What's happening with that cookbook? Do you need help with it? Because, I can help.
Technically I am a giant wiener. The costume tag says "wiener."

Return to “Recipes”