What's for Dinner?

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:56 pm

All you really want to do with sweet potatoes is cook them with some butter and maybe some brown sugar. Some people put marshmallows on top. You would boil them first, then cut them up and dot with butter and sprinkle on the brown sugar, and bake them for a little while.

Do not, under any circumstances, add cilantro.

iphigenia

Postby iphigenia » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:26 pm

Momma Snider wrote:And the green bean lady didn't have cream of mushroom soup, so she used alfredo sauce. That sounds pretty good to me.

Me too! I really hate mushrooms, including cream of mushroom soup, so I've never been too fond of the ubiquitous casserole. Alfredo sounds like it might be pretty good, though (maybe with bread crumbs and crumbled bacon as a topping variation from the fried onions).
tristyn
[url=http://www.tristyn.net]www.tristyn.net[/url]

junglejoy

GenAdFemale

Postby junglejoy » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:02 pm

I made your Black Bean Chicken Enchiladas last night. YUM! After I made them I saw you'd changed the quantities in a later post, but it worked great with the original recipe! Hubby loved it as did my 7 yr old and 18 mo old. That is a rarity. Oh, and so did I! They are delicious and easy - my kind of meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:17 pm

An update on the sweet potato thing: I found out what else is in it. Jalapeno jelly and red wine vinegar along with the cilantro, and then lime juice is sprinkled over all. Nas. Ty. You can tell this really traumatized me today.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:23 pm

What kind of person has alfredo sauce lying around the house but not cream of mushroom soup? Weird...
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:45 pm

I wondered the same thing, Jeff, but you know, it was Teresa. That turned out really good, by the way.

CherrySlurpees

Postby CherrySlurpees » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:06 pm

Eric's Fat Brother wrote:What kind of person has alfredo sauce lying around the house but not cream of mushroom soup? Weird...

I have the makings for alfredo sauce (cream, butter, parmesan cheese, pepper and nutmeg) at home but no cream of mushroom soup. But I don't think I would have used an alfredo sauce if I didn't have cream of mushroom soup. I think I would have made a nice bechamel sauce and mixed in some fresh mushrooms. But then I actually wouldn't have made that dish cause I don't like green beans and am allergic to all onions, including the french fried kind, so whatever.

I found a recipe for mashed sweet potatoes that included maple syrup and balsamic vinegar...um...not so much. But atleast it doesn't have jalepeño jelly and lime juice. That dish just sounds wrong.

GenAdFemale

to junglejoy

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:27 pm

Glad you liked them. I love 'em too. I only discovered my error in amounts after I made the filling. But in the end I was glad I made so much because I used it for lunches for the next few days. Just wrapped some filling up in a tortilla, grated some cheese over it, and microwaved it for 2 minutes and I was set. Mmmmmm.

By the way, you can all congratulate the generic husband and me as we have officially made it to 15 years of being married! What's on the menu for a late night snack after he gets home from the youth activity tonight? Trivial Pursuit, Martinelli's Sparkling Cider, and Chocolate Mousse cheesecake! Now I am off to put the children to bed EARLY! Woohoo!

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:39 am

Here's a generic congratulations:

Congratulations!

What I had for dinner:

Tiny shell pasta mixed with meat sauce. It was heated in the oven, so it was presented casserole style with the cheese melted on top and everything. Very Yum!

Hass

Postby Hass » Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:41 am

Momma Snider wrote: Nas. Ty.

I just snorted at my desk at work Momma. Now I'm busted!

Seriously, I was laughing my behind off. All the while thinking, "No one should EVER put Jalapeno jelly with sweet potatoes!" Blech.

iphigenia

Postby iphigenia » Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:52 pm

Eric's Fat Brother wrote:What kind of person has alfredo sauce lying around the house but not cream of mushroom soup? Weird...

<b>Normal</b> people :D

I try to avoid consuming spores, molds, and fungus.

Though actually, alfredo is made from ingredients I generally have lying around; I don't actually have a bit tub of it in the fridge or anything.
tristyn

[url=http://www.tristyn.net]www.tristyn.net[/url]

gamma_helix

Postby gamma_helix » Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:45 pm

Tonight I made an attempt at corn dogs. They turned out really well, except the batter was just a little too sweet. And it was somewhat difficult to get the batter to stick to the dog. But other than that, not bad.

I also battered and fried some string cheese and cubes of cheddar a la Hot Dog on a Stick. Those turned out pretty well too.

Speaking of Hot Dog on a Stick, it is one of my and my wife's favorite places to go when we're in California, and they just opened one in the Provo Towne Center Mall. Yay!

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:15 pm

I think they have Hot Dog on a Stick in the University Mall food court, don't they?
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:10 am

I love their lemonades...

I've decided, I'm going to the Galleria Mall tomorrow and I'm gettin' me one of those!

By the way, you all need to ask RenLass to post her broccoli salad recipe. It's to die for!

smeetuffe

Postby smeetuffe » Wed 18 Feb, 2004 09:32 pm

I figured I'd revive this thread since it was chock full of recipes to ask if anyone is familiar with the jolly holiday of Mardi Gras and, more importantly, if you knew of a recipe for King Cake that you know for certain is absolutely delicious.

So: Is anyone familiar with the jolly holiday of Mardi Gras?

Do you know of a recipe for King Cake that you know for certain is absolutely delicious?

Ms. Nasty

Postby Ms. Nasty » Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:23 pm

I don't have a recipe for the cake but I do have an excellent recipe for chicken...

4 large boneless frozen skinless chicken breasts
italian bread crumbs
Large can of plain tomato sauce
Large brick of Mozzarella cheese
fresh or dry fettucine
alfredo sauce

thaw chicken and coat with bread crumbs...pan fry till almost cooked.Place chicken in glass baking dish and pour 2/3 of tomato sauce over top. Add as much mozzarella cheese as desired. Bake in oven until cheese is melted and chicken is finished cooking..In the meantime cook pasta according to directions and toss with alfredo sauce. When serving pasta on dishes drizzle with remaining tomato sauce..Very yummy..and not hard whatsoever. Very filling. I've been offered money to make this for other people.it's excellent :D

whea-wix

Postby whea-wix » Fri 20 Feb, 2004 06:28 pm

I just want to eat real food again. Husband is on a diet, and I read (in my obsessive copusliveness) that wives most often sabotage diets unintentionally. So I'm trying to help. But I would not kill, but hurt quite badly, for a Big Mac.
Nothing against it; I've just never got in the habit, like racquetball or methamphetamines. ~The Know-it-All

smeetuffe

Postby smeetuffe » Thu 13 May, 2004 05:18 pm

since this became the recipe clearing house, I figured it would be fun to bump it up in case Mama Snider wanted to post any recipes. You know, a good way to combat our "Hot Body" efforts.
"Pretty isn't beautiful... Pretty is what changes. What the eye arranges is what is beautiful."

-Sundayinthe Park with George

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 14 May, 2004 12:46 pm

Okay, if you want the Boogers recipe, here it is:

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract (NOT spearmint or mint -- they don't taste good!)
green food coloring
1 cup chocolate chips

Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. (Eggs separate best when cold, but beat best when room temperature, so separate them and then let them warm up. I usually put the cup holding the whites in a bowl of warm water to speed it up. Also, don't let even a speck of yolk in, and make sure the beaters and bowl are completely free of any grease, or the whites won't perform.) Beat in sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Genty fold in peppermint and food coloring, and then chocolate chips. Drop on cookie sheet lined with paper towel, brown paper, or foil. (Not waxed paper.) (Parchment paper might work; I've never tried that because I don't have any.) If your oven has a pilot light, which most don't these days, turn oven to 350 to preheat and then turn it off when you put the cookie sheet in, and leave it overnight. Otherwise, heat to 350 and then turn it down to 200 when you put them in. They're done when they're crispy, and I think it takes about 30-40 minutes at that temperature. Don't let them get brown.

I don't like regular meringue, either, but I sure love these. And the recipe is very simple -- don't be confused by all my parenthetical directions, which just show things I've learned the hard way.

smeetuffe

Postby smeetuffe » Fri 14 May, 2004 04:01 pm

kickin! This will be the perfect thing next year when I make king cakes. I've probably helped the teachers to think Americans are super wasteful because the recipe for the cakes called for egg yolks only. We had a fun time trying to figure out how to get rid of the egg whites. This way will be much easier than the method we chose.

Thanks a huge, heapin' helpin', Momma Snider.
"Pretty isn't beautiful... Pretty is what changes. What the eye arranges is what is beautiful."

-Sundayinthe Park with George

Return to “Recipes”