What's for Dinner?

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri 14 May, 2004 04:04 pm

What about healthy recipes? does anyone have a favorite recipe that won't wreck a diet?

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Fri 14 May, 2004 04:57 pm

Here you go, Mark.

Celery:

Take Celery. Eat.

Chad :D (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Sara without the H

Postby Sara without the H » Fri 14 May, 2004 06:51 pm

Did I post the Wendy's Chili recipe somewhere in this thread? If not, that recipe is somewhere on www.topsecretrecipes.com. It's very healthy, especially if you cook the ground beef as specified. Just go easy on the cheese and tortilla chips. You could pair it with salad fixings for an imitation Wendy's taco salad.

Also, frozen whole strawberries are low calorie and yummy. This is strawberry season so you can get them fresh, and they sell pre-frozen whole strawberries fairly cheap at Walmart and Costco if you don't want to bother cutting off the tops or if you want them out of season. If you really want to be decadent you can melt chocolate (I use chocolate chips and add some milk to make it thinner) and dip them in chocolate. Then it's not quite so low calorie but not as bad as a candy bar or something. I microwave the strawberries for about 30 seconds just to take a tiny bit of the chill off.

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:42 pm

I miss this thread.

QaPlaIncognito

Postby QaPlaIncognito » Sat 16 Oct, 2004 03:54 pm

I'm studying restaurant management here at U of H, so consequently there's been a *lot* of cooking in my near past and near future.

So, to kick off conversation again, a query and a recipe.

Query:
Rice and chicken dishes that don't use a lot of spices or vegetables; I'm pretty limited here with what I can and can't get access to. Preferably tomato-y, if possible.

Recipe:
Scoonerdoodles. My submission to the M. Giant Sugar Cookie Bakeoff, and a very well liked desert here at Cougar High:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening
3 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup frosting
6 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
Cinnamon to taste (I usually add 3-4 tablespoons, but my love for cinnamon knows no bounds)

Put the butter, milk, frosting, and shortening into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes or until everything is melted but not cooked (the shortening will rise to the top and form a skin; the next step fixes that).

Once you remove the bowl, immediately start whisking the wet ingredients by hand (you don't really want to use an electric mixer here, because you're trying to avoid a superfluity of air bubbles). Once the mixture is well mixed and cooled a bit (it can still be hot, just not hot enough to cook an egg), add in the two eggs and whisk those in.

Next, add the sugar (this time use an electric mixer) and, once that's mixed in, slowly add the baking powder and flour. Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet, and bake 8-10 minutes at 350 or until they pass the toothpick test.

Carry on.
Kill all butterfiles! Stop the chaos effect!

georgebrat

Postby georgebrat » Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:39 pm

[quote by QaPlaIncognito]Query:
Rice and chicken dishes that don't use a lot of spices or vegetables; I'm pretty limited here with what I can and can't get access to. Preferably tomato-y, if possible.[/quote]

Are you thinking rice and chicken together? Cuz I just love making my Mom's chicken and rice with cream of mushroom soup- with a touch of either chili powder or paprika. Whatever you got.

2 cups rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1 can water (do the mixing first)
2-3 chicken breasts (cut lengthwise in half)
Chili powder or paprika (but not both)

Put rice in bottom of casserole dish (9x13)- stir in cream of mushroom/water mix- place thawed chicken breasts on top- shake chili powder/paprika over the entire dish. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Hubby and I love it!! and for even two of us- there's leftovers for another meal! Also very good.
GET ME OUT OF HERE!

JDJanson

Postby JDJanson » Sat 16 Oct, 2004 11:30 pm

I do that chicken and rice with cream of chicken soup!!! Very yummy too!

As for cut the fat and calorie type things,

I take a couple of skinless chiken breasts cut in strips and just sir fry them in some olive oil with a little seasoning salt or Mrs. Dash and put them over this pre-packaged broccoli-slaw with some low fat ranch dressing, You can add some chinese noodles for a little crunch! (Not too many though)

I also love little new/red potatoes and broccoli steamed together for a great side dish! I hated broccoli until a college roommate fixed it with new/red potatoes!

Why are they called new potaoes???
"You did what you knew how to do, but when you knew better, you did better."
Maya Angelou

QaPlaIncognito

Postby QaPlaIncognito » Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:04 am

JDJanson wrote:Why are they called new potaoes???

Marketing ploy.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:30 am

On the chicken and rice thing, I sprinkle onion soup mix on top. We call it sticky chicken.

QuaPla, I know we don't correct each other's spelling and stuff, and probably it was just a typo, but if you're going to cooking school, you have to make sure to spell it "dessert" rather than "desert."

Any my question is, why do most gourmet recipes call for unsalted butter? You just have to add salt later. I never use unsalted; in fact, I rarely use butter. I use Imperial margarine in almost everything. English toffee and chocolate french silk pie are the only things I've ever found that absolutely require real butter.

QaPlaIncognito

Postby QaPlaIncognito » Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:38 am

Just a typo, but thanks.

The reason most use unsalted butter is because the amount of salt varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so it's more reliable to just have unsalted and then a specific amount of salt added. Or so I've heard.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:38 am

Well, I'm really really late in joining this thread, but I'm going to anyway.

Enjoyed reading the recipes. Also envying you lot who have access to so many things that I don't.

If'n ya want curry anything recipes, let me know. I live in Curry Kingdom. :)

JDJanson

Postby JDJanson » Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:07 pm

When I went to LDS Business College, way back in the day, I took a world religions class and we made dishes from these different countries and religions, one was a curry and rice dish, it was really good!
Not too much curry.

Have an good curried chicken recipes?
"You did what you knew how to do, but when you knew better, you did better."

Maya Angelou

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:58 pm

Ooooooh! Me! Me! I looooooooooooove curry.

Curried anything. I don't have any good curry recipes, except one for curried tuna and rice, that a neighbor gave me in the mid-1970s. I've made it so many times it doesn't even appeal to me anymore.

I need to expand my repertoire, and I'd love to have some authentic Sri Lankan recipes to try. Thanks very much, quidscribis.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:04 am

Um, yeah, I have some good curried anything recipes. But I dunno. Do I wanna share?????

I have a bunch online. Go here.

And I have another comment to make. I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE WHOLE URL THINGY!!!!!! FROM MY 14 YEAR OLD NIECE!!!!! AND I'M SUPPOSED TO BE A COMPUTER GEEK!!!!!! BUT I SUCK WITH HTML ANYTHING CODING CRAP!!!!!!! BUT I'M SOO SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!

Okay, I'm fine now. :)

I was so excited I forgot to add something. It's this. A disclaimer. I haven't updated the recipes in there in a loooong long time, so I have a whole bunch that aren't there. But I will add them. I promise. :) Just not this week.

And what with NaNoWriMo next month, it might not happen until December sometime when I need to vacate my brain for a while. But it will happen. It will. Really it will. :lol:

ImAdhis

Apple Cake (w/ Cream Cheese Frosting)

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:57 pm

YUM... I just tried this recipe last week and it was soooooo good that I made it twice and am making it again this week. Plus, it fills the kitchen with a delicious scent! Everyone I have shared this cake with looooooves it. Try it. You'll like it.

I'll list the original recipe and then the substitutions I made both times I made this cake.

Apple Cake
1½ cups oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups peeled and sliced apples (Golden Delicious work well)
1 cup coarsely broken walnuts
1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (found at the bottom of this post)

Preheat oven 350°F.
In a large bowl, beat together oil and sugar. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir into batter. Add vanilla, apples, and walnuts; stir to blend.
Pour into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour or until done. It is done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cool, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe).
Makes 12 servings.

My substitutions
For oil: ¾ cup olive oil and ¾ cup unsweetened apple sauce
For flour: 2 cups flour and about ¾ cup whole wheat flour (whole wheat flour expands more)

Other notes:
For apples: 3 cups of apples is about 3 large apples; I cut them into quarters then into thin slices.
Baking time: took less than an hour to bake; If baked in 4"x6" tins, it only takes about 25-30 minutes.
Servings: Made 16-18 servings.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
½ cup butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the softened cream cheese. Blend with butter using a mixer on low or medium). Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat well.
Spread over cake.

The recipe makes enough to frost 2 or 3 cakes. It is also a good frosting for Carrot Cake!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:09 am

Here's hoping this frosting goes well with yellow cake, 'cause that's what I'm inflicting on my neighbors today. Jack o'lantern cakes all around!

Edited for spelling. Again.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:39 pm

QaPlaIncognito wrote:Recipe:
Scoonerdoodles. My submission to the M. Giant Sugar Cookie Bakeoff, and a very well liked desert here at Cougar High

Gotta tell you, QaPla, that I wanna try this one out. It looks good. Thanks for sharing.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

dillseed_waffles

Postby dillseed_waffles » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:45 pm

QaPlaIncognito wrote: . . .M. Giant Sugar Cookie Bakeoff . . .

So you're one of the two who submitted? Or have there been others since then?

petullant

Postby petullant » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:45 pm

ImAdhis - thanks for the recipe! For Thanksgiving each year, I make all of the desserts and I like to include some new ones with the old standbys of pumpkin pie and such. This one sounds really yummy and I think I shall add it.

I'll post another one that I'm also going to do. If I had just come across this recipe, I would never have tried it. However, I ate it and THEN got the recipes so I know that it is most yummy. Or at least it was when the other person cooked it.

Queen Elizabeth Cake

1 cup boiling water
1 cup chopped dates
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter
1 beaten egg
1 1 /2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup nuts (ground or chopped)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Pour boiling water over the dates and soda. Let stand. Mix together the sugar and butter. Add the egg. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix. Add the vanilla and nuts. Add this mixture to the date mixture. Pour into a greased 8x12 inch pan. Bake for 35 minutes

Icing
5 tablespoons brown sugar
5 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 can flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Boil brown sugar, cream, and butter for 3 minutes. Cool and spread on cake. Sprinkle with flaked coconut and nuts.

[Note: This recipe is also called Queen Anne Cake and was givent to Christ Episcopal Church Bazaar, Savannah, GA, by Queen Elizabeth II to be sold for $1. Good food which actually originated in England - MIRACLES CAN HAPPEN!]
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

QaPlaIncognito

Postby QaPlaIncognito » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm

dillseed_waffles wrote:
QaPlaIncognito wrote: . . .M. Giant Sugar Cookie Bakeoff . . .

So you're one of the two who submitted? Or have there been others since then?

I submitted afterward; it's just that M. Tiny's kinda' sucked up the space on his blog, causing cookies to go to the wayside.

Return to “Recipes”