I need a recipe or an idea

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

I need a recipe or an idea

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:01 pm

I'm always in charge of desserts for birthdays at work, and the person coming up wants something lemon -- in combination with chocolate. I can't think of anything except a lemon cheesecake with maybe an Oreo crust. Does anyone have any other ideas? I guess my other option would be to make something lemon AND something chocolate, which will not be a hardship except that then I'll eat both.[/code]

Canadian Wynter

Postby Canadian Wynter » Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm

While I love both lemon and chocolate, I can't quite imagine them together. However, here's a couple of recipes I found (I haven't tried any of them, I was just taking a peek for recipes that called for both lemon and chocolate):

Lemon Lime Mousse with Chocolate Crunch

Lemon Mousse with Chocolate Leaves

Lemon Cookies Dipped in Chocolate and Pecans

Lemon Mousse in Chocolate Shells With Fresh Raspberries

Lemon Chocolate Drop Cookies

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:13 pm

That's a tough one. On allrecipes.com I found a Raspberry Trifle that gets good reviews and feeds a lot of people, and has lemon juice but not lemon as the main ingredient. On this site you can do an ingredient search and I searched for lemon and chocolate, and lemon and cocoa under desserts and only found a few things. But now I really want lemon squares. Hey! Maybe you could just do lemon squares and have a bowl of Dove chocolates on the side.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm

Thanks! The lemon cookies look really good, but I'm not sure if cookies would be considered enough of a dessert for this particular birthday. And the trifle looks good, too, but I don't think 2 tsp. of lemon juice would be convincing enough. But I just remembered some wonderful lemon-white chocolate cookies I bought a while back, and now I've found a white chocolate-lemon cheesecake recipe. I think that just might do it!

But if anyone else has any ideas, keep them coming. I have until Thursday evening to think of something.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:02 pm

I have a really easy recipe for lemon bars, and you could add cocoa to the cream cheese filling.

Lemon Bars

1 Pudding Recipe Lemon Cake Mix (Pillsbury recommended)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/3 cup sugar

Combine cake mix with 1 egg & oil. Mix until crumbly. Reserve one cup. Pat remaining lightly into ungreased pan (13x9x2). Bake 7 minutes @ 350°. Beat cheese, sugar & remaining egg until light & smooth. Spread over cake. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top. Bake 15 minutes more.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:29 pm

Lemon Chocolate Sorbet

(note: some prep time needed!)
2 cups sugar
4 cups water
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon zest separated into 2 portions of 1 tablespoon each
1.5 cups fresh lemon juice (I'd say it's about 6-7 lemons)
1 Hershey's chocolate bar, chopped coarsely (or 3/4 cup mini-chocolate chips if you prefer a darker chocolate)

===============

Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add one tablespoon of the lemon zest to the hot mixture. Cool in the refrigerator for at least four hours. Add the lemon juice, remaining lemon zest, chocolate pieces and stir. Pour the entire mixture into an icecream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions for sorbet.

You could also eliminate the chocolate pieces and make a separate chocolate sorbet instead if you've got the freezer space.

2 cups cocoa
1.5 cups sugar
5 cups water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan onver medium heat. Stirring constantly, heat just until the mixture reaches a full boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Pour the mixture into your icecream freezer and freeze according to your manufacturer's directions for sorbet.

If you make both sorbets, I'd suggest serving in plastic pilsner glasses putting in a scoop of each flavor. Also, consider Keebler Fudge Grasshopper cookies alongside since mint goes great with both chocolate and lemon. You could also do the sprig-o-mint garnish on top for color.

Chad

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:37 pm

I just thought I'd let you know how this turned out. I found this White Chocolate-Lemon Cheesecake recipe, and it was heaven itself. It used lemon peel, lemon juice, and lemon extract, and white chocolate and cream, and of course cream cheese, eggs, and sugar. (It called for rum, too, but I didn't see any point in that.) Then it had a bittersweet chocolate ganache, and I put it in a chocolate graham cracker crust. It was pretty much the best cheesecake I've ever eaten, and the birthday girl liked it, too.[/code]

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Fri 24 Feb, 2006 04:02 pm

yummy! recipe please!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 03:26 pm

*bump*

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 03:38 pm

That same birthday is coming up again, so I'll need to find that recipe. I was hoping I had posted it here. But don't worry, it's in the recipe drawer at home.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 30 Jan, 2007 01:59 pm

Something that might turn out to be exceedingly delectable would be a lemon cake (from a mix or from scratch) with cream cheese filling between the layers, topped off with milk chocolate cream cheese frosting. I have no recipe for this, but I am now drooling at the idea.

Or, perhaps, a lemon meringue pie where the meringue is chocolate-flavored.

Perhaps my wife and I will do some experimenting with these ideas soon.

Penelope

Postby Penelope » Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:31 pm

I'd be interested in having that cheesecake recipe if you find it.

I made a lime sort-of cheesecake recipe yesterday. It's not baked and has more of a fluffy consistency than regular cheesecake, but it's VERY delicious. You could make it lemon and use a chocolate crust.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/103648

Or just make it as is any old time. It's really good.

I was wary of the gingersnap crust, but it works really well with the other flavors.

Card

Postby Card » Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:53 pm

The first thing that came to my mind was sort of what AdamOndi said. Lemon cake mix, chocolate frosting. Only, he added the cream cheese filling.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:48 pm

So I thought I was going to make this white chocolate lemon cheesecake for the birthday again this year, but I just found out today that someone else is making the cheesecake -- and she's making COFFEE cheesecake! I don't think it's even mocha, just plain coffee.

But here's the recipe I was going to make.
Crust:
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
2 Tbsp melted butter

Filling:
8 oz. white chocolate
1/2 cup cream (I used canned milk)
1 1/2 lbs. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
grated peel of 3 lemons (I know I didn't use this -- I hate peel)
2 tsps. lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Glaze:
6 oz. semisweet chocolate
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
3 Tbsp. butter

Combine wafer crumbs and melted butter. Press into bottom of 10" springform pan. Refrigerate.

Melt white chocolate and cream. Stir; allow to cool. Beat cream cheese. Add sugar and mix well, then mix in white chocolate and cream mixture. Add eggs one at a time. Add lemon juice, peel (yuck) and extracts. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until barely set. Cool to room temperature and remove sides of springform pan.

Melt chocolates and corn syrup together and allow to cool. Stir in butter, mixing thoroughly. Spread glaze over top and down sides of cheesecake.

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Wed 21 Feb, 2007 10:59 pm

That looks amazingly delicious, Momma. Except I would definitely use the peel--when anything calls for lemon zest I usually put in twice as much, because I love it beyond reason.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:28 am

pizzocalabro wrote:That looks amazingly delicious, Momma. Except I would definitely use the peel--when anything calls for lemon zest I usually put in twice as much, because I love it beyond reason.
That's not beyond reason, it's total reason! Um, ignore the fact that the sentence doesn't make sense and go with the sentiments, folks.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 23 Feb, 2007 07:51 pm

I know the zest is where the best flavor is, but I just can't stand it when there are chunks, even tiny ones, in something smooth. Maybe I'll get a real lemon zester so I can make it really microscopic.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Jun, 2008 08:43 pm

I just made this cheesecake again tonight. It's for the same person, but this time it's for a grandma baby shower. Anyway, I was checking different recipes online, because when I was shopping I thought it used sour cream, so I bought some, and now I'm stuck with it, so I was trying to find a similar recipe that used it. Didn't find one (didn't look too hard) but what I did find was another recipe that used the exact same ingredients, in more or less the same amounts, and it says it serves 6! Even I would be sorry if I ate 1/6 of a cheesecake this big.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 06 Jun, 2008 01:10 pm

Um, I'm stuck on trying to figure out what a "grandma baby shower" is.

But moving on, couldn't you just have baked potatoes for dinner to use up the sour cream, instead of trying to find a dessert to use it up? Or is sour cream one of the famous Snider No-Nos that would cause mass revolt (and revulsion) if not buried in a dessert?

Also, there's Mexican food you could serve with dollops of sour cream...
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Fri 06 Jun, 2008 01:17 pm

mmm.....dollops of sour cream. full of dollopy goodness. *drool*

Return to “Recipes”