PLEASE!! There is no Marie Callender's here!!

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KareNin

PLEASE!! There is no Marie Callender's here!!

Postby KareNin » Thu 25 Jan, 2007 01:02 pm

I know it's hard to conceive of such a barbaric, barren wasteland that will actually support human life, but that's central Ohio for ya. Here's my problem:

Sunday is my husband's birthday, and he never asks for anything. Never. But this morning, when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, the poor Southern California-Born-and-Raised dear man said that all he wanted (sob) was a German Chocolate Pie from Marie Callender's.

So I busily set to the task of trying to find a recipe online, because I am willing to try to make the closest approximation possible, seein' as how there is not a Marie Callender's Restaurant anywhere within driving distance.

Problem is, neither one of us can remember exactly what kind of crust it is that they build the layers of delectable chocolatey, coconutty, pecanny, creamy goodness upon.

Is it a regular pie crust, or a light cookie-type crust, or a chocolate cookie-type crust? And then, is there a layer of darker chocolate underneath the chocolate pudding-ish layer that has coconut and pecans?

All I remember about eating it is that I never had anything so delicious in my life (The Brownies are in a class by themselves, of course.) and I will be so grateful if any of you can help me out with the construction of a reasonable facsimile.

I can't find a picture of it online, either, so I'm appealing to a more helpful source for my answers: The Village of Nerds.

I thank you for your help.

Love,
~Karen

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 25 Jan, 2007 01:24 pm

Does this look right?

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=158176

I also found this link, which has a "CopyCat Collection" book for sale (you buy it with PayPal, then download it) for $1.95. Collection 2 claims to have the recipe for Marie Callender's German Chocolate Pie:

http://www.intelligent-ware.com/order.asp

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 25 Jan, 2007 01:35 pm

JeffJ, You evidently sent me a mental directive to try the internet again, so right after I posted the plea for help, I decided to re-word the Google request, and the exact recipe you linked me to was what had come up, only seconds before I came back here and saw the links you provided.

Thank you for responding so quickly, and Yup, I believe that recipe is the correct one.

The layer of chocolate chip spread onto the plain crust, which melts when you pour on the hot filling---yep, that 'splains a lot.

Woo hoo! I think I better go make a practice one right now. You know, just to make sure.

jebelmuus

Postby jebelmuus » Thu 25 Jan, 2007 02:20 pm

::sending jebelfamily's home address in a mental directive to KareNin::

I didn't even realize that thisside of the country was devoid of MC's. Maybe it's just the hot body contest talking, but pie is sounding especially good--Marie's or otherwise.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:43 am

"German Chocolate Pie" was enough to start me drooling from the first word (I'm not the only one who thinks of food upon hearing the word "German" am I?). Hearing or reading the word "Chocolate" will always accelerate that process, and those two followed by "Pie" nearly put me in a state of utopian bliss just fantasizing about it.

Thank you, KareNin, for letting me know that such a delectable concoction exists. And thank you, Jeff, for pointing out the recipe.

I believe we have quite a few foodies one the board. Wouldn't a Recipes forum be great? Anyone with me? Jeff?

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Fri 26 Jan, 2007 11:17 am

I agree entirely with robcan2's post. The mention of chocolate immediately gets my attention.

Our Marie Callender's closed a year or so ago after only being open a few months. Can't say I've had any of their pies. My wife makes great pies so I'll probably have to get her that recipe to try it out.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Fri 26 Jan, 2007 12:09 pm

I would love a recipes forum! We certainly have enough threads dedicated to recipes. And it would make it so much easier to search for them.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:49 pm

Mmmmmmmm Chocolate Pie.....

I've never had Marie Callandwhos, so have no frame of reference for this request, but the descriptions are enough for me to go into withdrawal. And I've already been thinking of Brownies... Alas, we have no eggs in the house and insufficient butter, so it has to wait until groceries are got. :(

And yeah, I'd support a recipes forum. :D

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:18 am

Well, here I go...

out into the kitchen to begin the Faux Marie Callender German Chocolate Pie.

I'll let you know whether it was worth the effort or not. And jebelfamily, do you guys live near us? Maybe it's because it's snowing like a sonofagun right now, but my mental radar ain't pickin' up your directive clearly.

I would love a recipe forum too. I don't want to do that email thing where you add a recipe and send it to the person who sent it to you, plus two more...or whatever the instructions are. I can't ever do those things right. Just a straightforward, easy to find recipe forum would be excellent.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 28 Jan, 2007 08:41 pm

A'ight. I made two of them, because...well, I don't get this ambitious very often so I decided to take advantage of it.

If I can figure out how to include the digital pictures I took, they'll be here too. If there are no photos of the whole pie and a slice by itself, then you'll know I'm even dumber than I look.

Susannah

Postby Susannah » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:32 am

Looks awesome, KareNin. Way to go! :D

It reminds me of the butterscotch pie I made for Thanksgiving. Mmm...I want to make another one this weekend.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:54 am

Looks fantastic, Karenin! How do they taste? Make me jealous. :D

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 08:58 am

*drool*

So, if I happen to have a whole lotta shredded coconut sitting in my fridge, what is the best thing I could do/make with it? KareNin's pie looks so good I'm completely forgetting about my resolution to lose 20 lbs.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:12 am

Shredded coconut, in general, needs to go directly into the trash. But mixed with enough chocolate and made into a pie, that looks really good.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 03:10 pm

Lady C, are the shreds of coconut the long, stringy kind, or the short, flaked kind?
The long, stringy ones are horrid, they get wrapped around your tonsils and make kids choke and all sorts of vile things. Honest. That's why they belong in the trash.

But the cute li'l flakies are awesome in just about anything. I guess if you have the long stringy shreds and don't want to toss 'em out, you could try a food processor or knife-chopping them into shorter pieces.

I loves me some coconut, although I know not everyone shares my enthusiasm for it.

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 04:43 pm

That looks tasty! So, did it past your and your husband's taste test?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 05:01 pm

Oh heck yeah.

The first pie is gone, and the leftover pudding I put in a bowl and topped like the pie is gone also. The second pie will be even better, because I increased the 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and 1/2 cup of coconut that I mixed into the pudding mix, to more like 3/4 cup of each.

Thanks for saying my pie looked good, you guys. I was actually more thrilled with the fact that I finally figured out how to put the pics in the post, because I. Am. So. Dumb. about anything to do with technology. But my persistence won out in the end. Only took me about eight tries. (See? D-U-M-M, I tells ya!)

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:09 pm

Lady Celtic wrote:*drool*

So, if I happen to have a whole lotta shredded coconut sitting in my fridge, what is the best thing I could do/make with it?
Dried coconut or freshly shredded coconut? If you're talking freshly shredded, I got a bunch of suggestions. Do you like spicy?

Momma Snider wrote:Shredded coconut, in general, needs to go directly into the trash. But mixed with enough chocolate and made into a pie, that looks really good.
Momma, you know I love you, but you have got to stop this trash talk. :evil: Fie on you! Fie!

KareNin wrote:I loves me some coconut, although I know not everyone shares my enthusiasm for it.
I love you even more. You're a woman after my own estomac!

KareNin wrote:Thanks for saying my pie looked good, you guys. I was actually more thrilled with the fact that I finally figured out how to put the pics in the post, because I. Am. So. Dumb. about anything to do with technology. But my persistence won out in the end. Only took me about eight tries. (See? D-U-M-M, I tells ya!)
KareNin, seriously, you crack me up. :D I loves you. :P

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:25 am

Shredded coconut, but not necessarily fresh, Ms. Quid. It's been in my fridgerator for a couple of months now and apparently needs to be run through the food processor to avoid choking my children. :D

And yes, mildly spicy is good.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:44 am

Ms. Quid. *tee hee!* Was the coconut dried? If it's dried, I have no useful suggestions, and not dried would be rancid by about day 4 or 5...

Return to “Recipes”