C is for Cookie

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:37 am

Yes, a stick. Oh, and I didn't have enough milk chocolate, so I made up the difference with semi-sweet, and it was fine. I was afraid that one cup of chocolate chips wouldn't be enough, but it really is.

I have also made it without the peanut butter, and that was good, too. And I made it with a layer of chocolate on the bottom, and it tasted good, but they were kind of messy. It might have been because it was 115 degrees outside, though.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:15 am

Audrey wrote:Question though... when you say a cube of butter, do you mean a full stick (8 tbsp.)?

My Star Trek brain thought "borg cube" of butter. That would be a lot of butter. A lot.

Card

Postby Card » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:25 am

Sometimes I feel like my butter is saying "Resistance is futile," so maybe.

Momma Snider

Re: C is for Cookie

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 03:07 pm

Okay, Recipe Tweakers, I would like some input on this. I've been messing around with a cream cheese cookie, because I have cream cheese, and this is what I made yesterday:

1 cup butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 small pkg. lemon jello
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

I divided this into three parts, to test a couple of things. One batch I rolled immediately into balls and baked them at 350 for 12 minutes, which wasn't quite long enough, as it turned out. Another part I baked just the same, but I rolled them in powdered sugar before baking. And then I chilled part of the dough before rolling them into balls. I also rolled those in powdered sugar, and I baked them at 375 for 11 minutes. Just for fun, I put a disk of vanilla dipping chocolate on top when they came out of the oven.

The powdered sugar disappeared on both batches. The texture still wasn't quite what I wanted, but they sure did taste good! I've made these with strawberry jello, too, only without the baking powder and with a whole egg instead of just the white. The texture was way off.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 07:57 am

What are you looking for in terms of texture?

I would roll them in, oh shoot what is it called? It's like larger sugar crystals, sometimes you can get them colored, I've got some white, they look as large as salt. Baking sugar? Maybe?

Oooo, and for a flavor variation, how about orange jello and a chocolate disc? I just love the combo of orange and chocolate together.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:47 am

I definitely want the powdered sugar flavor with lemon. I think I might try just sprinkling it on after they're baked.

Orange and chocolate sounds really good, too.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:07 am

Yup, definitely powdered sugar at the end. And oh, raspberry, with the vanilla disc on top. Or maybe even, split the dough, make half lemon, half raspberry, then roll smaller balls of each, and then combine one ball lemon with one raspberry into a single cookie, vanilla disc on top?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 13 Dec, 2010 12:37 pm

It seems to me that I have posted the recipe for Boogers somewhere, but I don't see it now. A more dignified person might call them Mint Meringues, or Snowcaps, but we call them boogers because they're green and crunchy, as my nephew once said.

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp Peppermint extract
green food coloring
1 cup chocolate chips

Separate eggs while cold, making sure not to break the yolks or get any other fat or oil into the whites. Bring to warm room temperature (I put the cup with the whites in a bowl of warm water) and warm a clean mixing bowl. Beat the egg whites until foamy, then add the cream of tartar, and then add the sugar slowly, while beating. Beat until stiff peaks form. Gently stir in peppermint and food coloring and then chocolate chips.

Drop on foil, parchment, or brown paper-lined cookie sheet. Even paper towels will work. Preheat oven to 300, then lower temperature to 250 when you put them in. Bake for an hour or so, until crispy. Keep in airtight container. They're especially good cold.

Some people crush peppermint candies to mix in. That's good, but I don't like getting the candy stuck in my teeth.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:07 am

I tried a recipe for coconut macaroons the other day, and it is de-lish and super simple, so I just made a triple batch last night, for our work holiday party tomorrow. If anyone's interested, here's the recipe.

3 cups shredded coconut
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp almond extract

1/2 cup choc chips (I use dark for extra YUM)
3 Tbsp whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the extracts into the milk, then drizzle that onto the coconut & toss until well coated. Use a scooper to portion them out onto parchment paper, bake for 12 minutes, or until the tops start getting brown.

As those cool, take the chocolate chips and whipping cream, put them in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke for 30 second intervals, stirring in between until you get a nice ganache. (Usually takes about a minute total in my microwave.) Drizzle on top of the macaroons. Then let these sit at room temp for a while for everything to "set". Eat vigorously.

Right now the main thing that these have going for them is, most macaroon recipes use egg whites, and a few of my co-workers are vegan, and won't do eggs. So, this should make them happy.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:13 am

"Eat vigorously." HA! Love it.

I never realized coconut macaroons didn't have any flour our anything like that. It's basically coconut and sugar and milk. I can live with that. Very happily. Especially with chocolate ganache drizzled on top. Mmmmm...
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:08 pm

KMD wrote:Right now the main thing that these have going for them is, most macaroon recipes use egg whites, and a few of my co-workers are vegan, and won't do eggs. So, this should make them happy.

Not trying to rain on your macaroon parade, Keri, 'cause these sound really yummy, but if the vegan folks are really, really strict about not eating animal products like eggs, then they probably won't like the fact that the cookies are made with cow's milk (sweetened & condensed), either.
And to that I would say, "Fine! More for the rest of us!"
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:45 pm

They might not do cow milk, but they'll probably do soy. So just tell them it's sweetened condensed soy milk. Unless you know one with an actual cow milk allergy, then don't.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:45 pm

I know, one is real strict about it, and probably will abstain because of the milk and anything that might be in the chocolate. The other one plays a little fast and loose with the rules, and once he sees chocolate, he's in.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:00 pm

All my personal standards go down the drain when chocolate is involved, too.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:06 pm

Okay, I tried another new cookie recipe, kind of. This one was posted on Facebook by Angela, who used to visit here often. I won't post the actual recipe right now, but basically it was you make little S'mores with a quartered graham cracker, a square of chocolate, and a marshmallow, cut in half. Put the cut side down to make it a little more stable. Then make a recipe of chocolate chip cookie dough. Take pieces of the dough and flatten them out and wrap them around each individual S'more until there are no gaps. They are pretty big. Bake for 17 minutes at 375. They're huge, but they're yummy, and they're firm enough that you can cut one into quarters.

I'll post the link later.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:50 am

I got this recipe from Parents Magazine, and made it for work the other day, so I'm going to post it as-is, and then give notes.

Caramel-apple cookies

2 sticks (Cubes to make Momma happy) salted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 small apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped (1/4 cup)

1 cup vanilla caramels
3 Tbsp whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugars until fluffy. Then add eggs and vanilla.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture and beat until combined. Stir in apple.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Arrange balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove and let cool on wire racks.

In a bowl, mix caramels and cream. Microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds or until nearly melted, stirring once. Drizzle over cookies, serve when hardened.

Per cookie: 109 calories, 1g protein, 5g fat (3g sat. fat), 15g carbs, 8g sugar, 0 fiber, 36mg calcium, 0 iron, 89 mg sodium

OK, so these were really good, but I have issues. The texture was nice, although does anyone have graham cracker crumbs sitting around in their pantry? And how many of those things do I need to smash to get a cup? So, I just grabbed a section of them, mashed them up and used them. Might have been too many, might have not been enough. The flavor of these cookies though was a little... bland for me. I wanted more apple flavor, or more caramel, or more cinnamon, or something. My husband loved them though, as -s Then later I figured out what it needed. These cookies are crying out for walnut pieces! But, my husband doesn't like nuts in cookies, or walnuts in anything, so I doubt I'll ever make it that way. So, someone else try this out and let me know if it's good with walnuts, ok?

Also, the caramel that you drizzle over the top never set for me. It was always wet and sticky, which made them difficult to package up for work. I wanted to be able to stack them on top of each other, and they were just too messy for that, I had to use wax paper between the layers. So, does anyone have a recipe for a caramel sauce/drizzle/whatever that sets up nice and dry? I have another cookie recipe from my mom that needs that as well. Basically you take a chocolate cookie dough, do a thumbprint cookie out of it, then fill the thumbprint with caramel, and then drizzle some all over the sides. So good! But so messy, and very difficult to take anywhere!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:47 am

I think those look delicious! But it does seem like not enough apple. I wonder how it would be if you used two apples instead of one? Or maybe use a more flavorful kind of apple? I think raisins would be good, too, but some people object to raisins.

On the graham cracker thing,I don't know what the exact number of crackers would be, but I do think that crushing your own is a lot better than buying prepared crumbs. Those always taste like the inside of the box, to me.

The thing I never have on hand is the whipping cream. But I have found that you almost always can use evaporated milk instead of whipping cream, in just about any recipe. (I do always have that on hand, because I use it for a lot of things.) If you reduce the amount to maybe two tablespoons, it might help with the stickiness of the caramel, too. For that matter, since the only purpose of the cream is to help the caramels melt, you could even use regular milk.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 07:56 am

I used a Jazz apple, and they are pretty flavorful, I just think I needed to chop it up even tinier. And maybe there should be some apple cider in that recipe somewhere. Hmm... might have to tinker....

And good idea about the evaporated milk. I usually have whipping cream on hand, but I also usually have that too. I'll have to give it a go. But, it seems like I have bad luck with caramels anyway. I have tried at least 3 times to make Alton Brown's sea salt caramels, and while the taste is fantastically out of this world good, I can't make them set up, no matter how long I cook it, or how long I let it sit. Makes for a great caramel sauce though. But, I have a 3 strikes rule when it comes to cooking. If I attempt to make something 3 times and none of them turn out, then that recipe is Out! and it's time to move on.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 09:19 am

Jeff and Beth made Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats the other day. I need to get the recipe when they get home from their trip, because my coworkers couldn't stop eating them, and that was when they were three days old. I think it was basic Rice Krispie Treats, and then the caramel was heavy cream and Karo syrup and probably brown sugar, boiled to 242 degrees. That was poured over the Krispies, and then sea salt was sprinkled on top. It was good. Really good.

Return to “Recipes”