C is for Cookie

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

robcan2

C is for Cookie

Postby robcan2 » Mon 09 Apr, 2007 10:40 am

Here is the place to post your delicious cookie recipes. As I was looking for something unique, I came accross this recipe. I will post it as written from here along with my variations in brackets.

Mandelbrot

INGREDIENTS
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest (optional) [Zest is never optional for me. I usually put in more than it asks for]
3/4 cup chocolate syrup [I use chocolate chips instead -- the syrup was way too messy]
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Place flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into an electric mixer's mixing bowl and mix well; blend eggs and 1/2 cup oil into mixture. Pour orange juice and orange zest into mixture; mix well [at this point I mix it a little and then add the chocolate chips]. When the mixture becomes very thick take the mixing bowl out of the mixer and continue stirring with a wooden spoon (at this point the mixture is so thick that it could damage an electric mixer)[my Bosch doesn't seem to have a problem with this.].

3. Separate dough into thirds. Roll (or spread with your hands) each chunk of dough into a rectangular shape. Sprinkle the chocolate syrup onto the center of each rectangle. Fold the sides of each rectangle into the center to form a loaf shape. Work with the loaf until there is no longer a crease that could break open while baking. Each roll will be approximately 12 inches long. Brush the outside of each roll lightly with oil. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of the rolls.
[I don't make the loaves. I separate the dough into small cookie-sized balls and place on the cookie sheet. Then I brush each with the oil and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture]

4. Bake on a nonstick cookie pan for 20 minutes. [You might need to reduce the cooking time slightly if you do the cookie balls instead of the loaves. I start with 15 minutes and work up from there.]This is a firm, cake-like cookie. If you would rather a crispier cookie toast the cookie another 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. When cooled cut the loaves to form semi-circle shaped cookies.

CherrySlurpees

Rich and Chewy Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies

Postby CherrySlurpees » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:33 pm

These cookies are oft requested:

Rich and Chewy Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies

2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooked until slightly warmed
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Mariani Sweetened Dried Cranberries
½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts or pecans

½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup old fashion oats
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350º F.

By hand or mixer, blend together butter, brown sugar and honey. Add egg and vanilla, mix well. In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to butter mixture and mix until combined well. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Place dough 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet and bake in the center of your oven until edges are lightly browned and centers are still soft, about 12 – 15 minutes. (Do not overbake.) Cool completely. Makes about 2 ½ dozen 2" cookies.
"What you feel only matters to you. It's what you do to the people you love. That's what matters. That's the only thing that counts."

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:17 pm

What are "old fashion oats"? Would Quaker work?
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:23 pm

These are one of my favorites. I got the recipe from a package of Reese's baking chips. This is copied from the Hershey's site, I'm pretty sure it's the same:

REESE'S Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.

2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in peanut butter chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 to 9 minutes. (Do not overbake; cookies will be soft. They will puff while baking and flatten while cooling.) Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4-1/2 dozen cookies.

I always add more flour to my cookies because I like them fluffy.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:58 pm

Q to lilcis: does extra flour really make them fluffier? I've had some really great cookies lately that just have more body to them, somehow, and I'm thinking maybe fluffy is what I'm looking for. I'll have to try that.

A to lilcis: Old fashioned oats usually just means not instant. You'll notice when you buy Quaker (or generic) oatmeal, there will be a kind that has to cook longer than the others, and that's the one. The quick-cooking kind will usually work, but it's mushier, so you don't have the oatmeal texture in the cookies.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 04:23 pm

The flour makes them thicker, I don't know about fluffier necessarily (I don't want to make false claims)

Unless I'm using shortening (I always use butter in my cookies), whenever I follow the recipes exactly my cookies seem to 'melt' on the pan and come out thin & crunchy. They're still good, but I prefer them softer.

So I always add extra flour to the recipes, usually just by adding a heaping cup instead of an exact cup, etc. Then before I put the cookies on the pan I roll them into little balls. And I only cook them until the tops are just barely tan, then take them out and let them cool on the pan for a minute (and finish cooking a bit) before I transfer them to a cooling rack.

If I cook them any longer the extra flour makes them really dry. I don't add as much extra flour to the chocolate chewy cookies as I do to the regular chocolate chips.

I'm a freak, I know. But chocolate chip cookies are very important to me. My dad and I have been in competition for years over who makes better cookies. Plus I use them to bribe the managers at work.

That cranberry cookie looks yummy; I'm going to have to try it out this week. I bet the managers will love it!

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:26 pm

April and I LOVE the Alton Brown show "Good Eats" on the Food Network.

One of the episodes was dedicated to chocolate chip cookies and their differences.

The recipes are here.

He did:
- The Thin
- The Puffy
- The Chewy

He talks about WHY each one is different in the show and what adding more of one ingredient will do to the cookie texture, etc.

Butter generally makes them "crispier" (i.e. The Thin), and the shortening will make them "cakier" (if that's even a word)...um, let's say "chewy-er".

Anyway...carry on.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:53 am

Oh...I guess I should've also pointed out that some of the main difference in how the cookies turn out involves the type of flour that is used:

all purpose flour (The Thin) vs. cake flour (The Puffy) vs. bread flour (The Chewy).

But, the substituting of butter-flavored shortening for butter will make them more non-thin and non-crispy.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:20 am

I made the puffy recipe last week, but did not use cake flour. (I'm too cheap to buy things like that since I don't use them often.) They were really good in texture, but didn't have the flavor of those made with Imperial margarine. I think I'll experiment a little more and see what happens.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 13 May, 2010 03:17 pm

Cinnamon Chip Cookies

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/ever ... 5-09.shtml

It's basically chocolate chip cookies but you substitute cinnamon chips. This might sound blasphemous to chocolate lovers, but I kind of want to try it.

I also think it's awesome that OSC spells cookie as "cooky" twice in that article. :)

Hey Jeff, when I try to do the URL as a link with text, it makes my whole post blank. Weird.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 13 May, 2010 03:20 pm

Ooh, cinnamon chips. I didn't even know those existed. {drools} Cinnamon chip with pecans. I've never had them, but now I feel like an addict needing a fix. With almost ice cold milk.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 13 May, 2010 05:02 pm

I got on a kick a few years ago (before my bread maker died) where I was making white bread with cinnamon chips, in a pathetic attempt to duplicate the yummy loaf of cinnamon bread that April brought home from Great Harvest Bread Co. It was never as good as theirs, no matter what I did, but I gave it a valiant try.

Think I'll try some cookies with those li'l gems, though. Can't fail. They sound much easier than Snickerdoodles, with the endless rolling into balls of dough, and rolling the balls of dough into cinnamon-sugar, and on and on...

(Which we always had to call Snookerdookers, because that's the incorrect but cute way Tom's funny old Grandma Banks always remembered their name.)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:34 am

I've been making sure I have butter-flavored Crisco on hand for when I make chocolate chip cookies, as well as Imperial margarine. In the 29-dozen baking frenzy a couple of weeks ago, I also added extra flour. They were the best ch-ch cookies I've ever made, I think. But I had to laugh, reading the recipe. Does anyone really put the dry ingredients in a separate bowl first, before starting to cream the butter, etc.? I never do; I just add the salt and baking soda to one of the cups of flour before I dump it in.

Only then the laugh was on me, because when I made cookies last week with Lindsay and Logan, I forgot the salt and baking soda until everything was mixing. It still turned out okay, though.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:03 am

Um, I do Momma. But that's because I am insane when it comes to my choc. chip cookies, and will only use bread flour (sifted in with the other dry ingredients), real butter, dark brown sugar, dark chocolate chips and McCormick's Vanilla with Butter Nut extract. I've tried expensive vanilla extracts, vanilla beans, doesn't matter. Vanilla with Butter Nut gives that extra little OOMPH that makes them BEST.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:35 am

I always follow the recipe exactly. Sometimes if I'm in the kitchen when my wife is making something, I have to leave because it drives me absolutely bonkers when she doesn't measure things. Her stuff always turns out great, but I can't stand to watch her blatantly flout the recipe instructions. I guess this is something I could put in the OCD thread.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:47 am

I must confess, I am a Blatant Flouter as well.

It's a good thing Tom doesn't have OCD. I'm afraid he would have starved to death long ago. Or died from a nasty thump to the head.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:31 pm

The only time I follow recipes exactly is when I am baking something for the first time. I always tweak the ingredients or method after the first time I make something until I find the better way. And there is always a better way than what the recipe shows, for some reason. Even though baking recipes are far less tolerant of improvisation than cooking recipes, once you know the basic principles of baking, you can tweak away and vastly improve any recipe you get your hands on.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:36 pm

Yeah, I guess I misspoke when I said "always." I have been known to tweak recipes in attempts to make them better, and I improvise if I don't have the exact ingredient needed. But when the recipe says you need a teaspoon of vanilla, YOU MEASURE A TEASPOON OF VANILLA!

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:48 pm

And now that I think about this a little more, it's not the flouting of the recipe that bothers me so much. It's more the fact that she does things differently than I do that makes my OCD twitch.

Me: Are you sure that bowl is big enough?
Wife: Yes, it will be fine.
Me: It's better if you don't hold the spoon over the bowl when you measure in the vanilla so you don't accidentally pour too much in.
Wife: I'm being careful.
Me: Is that how you always use the zester?
Wife: ...
Me: DON'T POUR ALL THE FLOUR IN AT THE SAME TIME! You'll get lumps that way.
Wife: [censored]
Me: (after time passes) Mmm, this tastes really good.

As I've said before, it's amazing I'm still married.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 01:05 pm

I'm pretty careful with measurements, but like Adam, once I've made something once, I'm a lot looser with the measurements, and more open to experimentation. The husband? He approaches cooking like it's chemistry. It's like he's afraid if he doesn't have exactly a teaspoon, things will blow up or something. And he doesn't like to re-use a measuring device, like if he uses a cup measure for flour, he doesn't then want to use the same cup for sugar. There are still flour particles clinging to the inside of the cup! Oh no! That will throw off the sugar measurement! LOL! It drives him crazy when I just grab one measuring cup, and use it to estimate half a cup, or a third of a cup. He just cannot handle that, it's not precise enough.

And oh, I got a kitchen scale a while back, since Alton does so many of his recipes based on weight instead of volume, I really needed it. But the husband definitely loves it, loves knowing he has the right amount, down to a tenth of an ounce. I mostly find it's good for amusing my son, playing the "how much does this weigh?" game.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Return to “Recipes”