C is for Cookie

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 01:36 pm

LOL! Coincidences abound today! Look what I just found for robcan2 on Think Geek! It's a scale and a spoon in one!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 02:00 pm

That ounce thing instead of cups or whatever is what prejudiced me against Alton Brown. It seems so pretentious. Reminds me of when I used to buy the bread machine mixes, and they said "Measure PRECISELY! Use 7-9 ounces of water." Umm, precisely 7, or 9? So I'd round it off to a cup.

But I do measure things, especially for baking, except vanilla. I can tell about how much a teaspoon is, and I almost always use more than it calls for. I just can't imagine dirtying up another bowl with the flour mixture, when you have to measure it out into a cup anyway.

I also don't believe in unsalted butter. If it calls for unsalted butter and a teaspoon of salt, I use regular butter and maybe 1/2 tsp.

But I think you have to be pretty obedient to the rules at first, like Adam said, until you know what tweakage is okay and what isn't.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm

KMD wrote:He approaches cooking like it's chemistry. It's like he's afraid if he doesn't have exactly a teaspoon, things will blow up or something.

:shock: It won't?!? :shock: Are you *SURE*?!? :shock:

Card

Postby Card » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm

For me, I rarely level things off, like flour. I think to myself: "Self, what are the chances that this recipe really is the best with exactly one cup of flour? How does every recipe work the best with exactly one cup or one and a quarter, etc.? Why isn't it one cup and 1/8 tsp plus a pinch that is really the best?" So, I'm not exact, generally.

Except with salt. Too much or too little is disastrous.

Ounces seem like they would be a little more likely to be exact, but then again, I like my cookies less flat than other people, so... it's really about preferences. I think you can tweak the recipe a little more if you know the science of the ingredients.

On the other hand, I testify of following directions on the cake box. It tells you to beat it on medium speed for two minutes or whatever, and I swear that it is the perfect amount of time to get the cake consistency to the perfect point of fluffiness. Amen.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:26 pm

Card, I think like you do for the cookies, etc. And if I'm wrong, after the first batch, I can add more liquid or more flour or whatever, to fix it.

But for your Testimony of The Cake Beating to be universally true, don't we have to have some unvarying constant among mixers? I don't usually bother to use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, because it's a PITA to scrape the bowl down, and take it apart, and wash the parts, and all that...much easier just to eject the beaters from the portable into the sink and wash a plastic bowl. But the MED speed on my portable mixer is like SUPERFASTWHIRRRSPEEDY, so I have to use the LOW speed, which still sounds like I'm revving up the engine on a Cherokee Piper.

So I do not have a testimony of the truthfulness of the back of the cake mix box.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Card

Postby Card » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 12:48 am

You know, I haven't actually made a cake lately with my new mixer now that I have one. But, so far I really hate the hand mixer because the low speed is so fast that all the food goes flying out of the bowl and nearly shoots the bowl across the room when I turn it on. I really don't like it. It has too much kick.

Yeah, so I'm sure you're right Karenin, that it does have to do with the mixer used. My testimony is only for cool hand mixers.

I am probably going to donate my mixer to the trap shooting club or take it to the next church swap meet. I really hate it.

And also, I hate my hand mixer.

Did I mention that I hate my hand mixer? Yes? Well, that's because I do.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:53 am

Card, I get the impression that perhaps you hate your hand mixer. It wasn't very clear in your last post, but that's what I got out of it. 8)
You're unique, just like everyone else!

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:48 am

Momma Snider wrote:That ounce thing instead of cups or whatever is what prejudiced me against Alton Brown. It seems so pretentious. Reminds me of when I used to buy the bread machine mixes, and they said "Measure PRECISELY! Use 7-9 ounces of water." Umm, precisely 7, or 9? So I'd round it off to a cup.

I am an unapologetic Alton devotee, so I feel the need to defend him here. When he first started out with his show, he did recipes the way we are all used to seeing at home. You know, ounces, cups, teaspoons, etc. However, as his show progressed and he got into some of the more technical stuff, he transitioned to using weight for some ingredients in order to be more precise. But he only does the "by weight" thing when it will be important to the success of the recipe. He does it most often with flour and other ingredients that can be compacted because one cup of freshly sifted flour is a lot less dense (and therefore, a smaller overall amount) than a cup of compacted flour that is scooped out of a bag that has been sitting underneath a 5-pound sack of sugar at the back of the pantry for a couple of months.

Be that as it may, however, I rarely am a stickler for measuring things by weight. I really don't make many of the more delicate and temperamental things anyway. They cost too much and are a pain to make.

Side note: robcan2, if you were in my kitchen and buzzing around me with all those comments, you would be likely to get a wooden spoon to the head before being thrown out. I have done it before with my brothers. Your wife must have the patience of a saint.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:49 am

If I didn't know better, I would think that Card didn't like her hand mixer. But of course, I tend to read meanings into people's posts that are not really there, to my dismay.

Now, MY hand mixer, on the other hand, suffered a life-threatening beater breakdown last Friday when I was mixing up a quadruple batch of Whole Wheat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with added pecans, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds. The motor was grinding away, struggling and straining, and I was just waiting for smoke to start coming out of the motor casing so I could scream like a little girl and holler, "I need a new mixer!!" However, before that could happen, I looked down into the bowl o' luscious dough and saw what looked like 4 metal claws, reaching up through the stiff dough. Quickly I realized that, since I hadn't added any metal claws to the dough, they must have broken off the mixer beaters. A cursory glance showed that both beaters were still seated in the housing, but only one beater was still in possession of its lower half, and the metal claw-monster leering menacingly from the cookie dough was actually the bottom part of the beater.

I wrestled it free of the dough, tossed both beaters in the trash can, and completed mixing the dough with a wooden sppon.

So now I can either use my stand mixer, or try to find another hand mixer that knows what LOW, MED, and HIGH actually mean, without trying to show off and be the fastest hand mixer in the class.

Any brand recommendations? The Show-Off one is a Black & Decker. I think it had aspirations of becoming a chain saw.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:48 am

KareNin wrote:Any brand recommendations? The Show-Off one is a Black & Decker. I think it had aspirations of becoming a chain saw.

Sounds like a multitasker that Alton would be proud to own. :)

Card

Postby Card » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:34 am

The one I have is a Sunbeam. Don't get one. It's weighted all wrong when you're holding it, and it's seriously out of control. I swear that I've already had it smoke on me. It fights too hard. Really, it just needs to chill out.

Fortunately for my recent birthday my sister (the awesome one LadyC had as a roommate) purchased me a hand mixer, so I can shortly make my dream of getting rid of my crappy hand mixer a reality. God bless inspired sisters.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:34 am

I also have a Sunbeam hand mixer, and I can "me too!" Card's post. They are awful. They fling batter everywhere. I HATED it. I use my stand mixer for everything, and only pull the hand mixer out if it is an emergency, and my stand mixer is dirty, and I don't have time to clean it. And actually, to prevent that ever happening, I asked a few years ago for my birthday for an extra mixing bowl, and whisks and things for my KitchenAid, so I never have those emergencies now, I can just swap bowls and keep going.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm

Card's sister has always been quite the intuitive genius--I can attest to that. She's devastatingly funny too.

Adam, I get the feeling that watching you cook while your brothers are around would be highly entertaining.

ANYway.

I have a Black and Decker Spatula Smart Mixer. We received it as a wedding gift (9 years ago) and it still works well (come up with your own clever metaphor here--my clogged-up sinuses are blocking access to my more witty neural pathways). The low speed is not particularly impressive as "low," but it doesn't fling batter at the walls, either. If a recipe calls for low speed, I tend to mix by hand, anyway.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:12 am

I know I'm a little late... but... from Card's post... I got the impression that she loves her hand mixer. And KMD. The hand mixer, that is, not each other. But... I could be wrong.

Card

Postby Card » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:53 pm

~Zesdy~ wrote:I know I'm a little late... but... from Card's post... I got the impression that she loves her hand mixer. And KMD. The hand mixer, that is, not each other. But... I could be wrong.

No, no. You're not wrong. I love it.

Not! or Psych! (depending on what era you prefer)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:43 pm

I burned out my hand mixer the other day. I'll either buy a new one or put it on my Christmas list, depending on when I decide I need a new one.

Also, http://hoosierhomemade.com/twix-bars/

Does that look good or what??? The only problem is that I don't always have Club crackers on hand. But I can fix that.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:05 am

We had something very similar at our family reunion ;ast weekend, except she made a crust instead of using crackers.

Too good to be legal!
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:24 pm

I just want to report that I made the Twix bars, first exactly as directed, and then without the peanut butter. Both were totally heavenly. Without peanut butter it's more like regular Twix, but the peanut butter version was reportedly much like PB Twix.

What I'm going to try next time is melting some chocolate in the pan first, then putting the first layer of crackers down, so they'll have chocolate on both side.

Oh, and two minutes might be too long to microwave the chocolate chips. Do it 30 seconds at a time and stir each time until they're melted.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 03:31 pm

Since I'm bored right now, I'm going to post the actual recipe, the way I make it, instead of the link.

48 club crackers
1 cube butter or margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar (it was especially good with dark brown sugar)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup canned milk ( I always used canned for recipes -- extra flavor)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (I think that was about 8 crackers -- less than one full pack)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2/3 cup peanut butter

Layer 24 of the crackers in a 9x13 pan. Cook butter, sugar, milk, and crumbs until it boils, lower heat to medium, and then cook for about 4 1/2 minutes, stirring a lot. Pour over crackers. Immediately top with 24 more crackers. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Heat chocolate chips in microwave for 60 seconds and stir until smooth, then stir in peanut butter. Spread quickly over crackers and refrigerate again. Cut into small pieces, because they'll make you sick if you eat a big one.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:39 am

Momma, that sounds delicious! Joe's favorite candy is Twix so I think I'm going to try and make those this weekend. Question though... when you say a cube of butter, do you mean a full stick (8 tbsp.)?
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Return to “Recipes”