Momma Snider's Andes Mint Cookies

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:02 am

Momma, you should try chilling and rolling chocolate chip cookie dough into balls some time. It is definitely my preferred method. I find it results in the rounder, more uniform shape that I prefer. But it also results in a more even, dense consistency in the cookies themselves that I very much enjoy.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:25 am

I got distracted doing other chores so I ended up chilling them for an hour anyway. the dough definitely changes after being in the fridge. I only had 10 Andes Mints (left over from the last time I made these) so I made 10 regular ones and then added peanut butter chips to the dough, which was really hard to mix in after it was chilled!). They are yummy, but rich!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:38 am

I guess sometime if I was just making cookies for fun, I will try chilling the dough. Normally I decide to make cookies and they're in the oven by the time it preheats.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:14 pm

Okay, I rolled chocolate chip dough into balls yesterday. They turned out great, but I doubt that I will take the time very often.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:34 pm

I always sorta liked the irregular little peaks and bumps and imperfections you get with drop cookies.

But that might just be a peculiar quirk of mine -- I also squirm at the notion that all actresses in Hollywood must have perfectly whitened, straightened, and veneered teeth, blonde streaked hair perfectly styled, spray-on tans, and Botoxed wrinkles and enhanced boobage, so you can't tell one woman from another. I CHERISH IMPERFECTIONS in people. And cookies, too, I guess.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:59 pm

KareNin wrote:I always sorta liked the irregular little peaks and bumps and imperfections you get with drop cookies.

But that might just be a peculiar quirk of mine -- I also squirm at the notion that all actresses in Hollywood must have perfectly whitened, straightened, and veneered teeth, blonde streaked hair perfectly styled, spray-on tans, and Botoxed wrinkles and enhanced boobage, so you can't tell one woman from another. I CHERISH IMPERFECTIONS in people. And cookies, too, I guess.

Hear, hear!

/19th century speak

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:29 am

I cherish imperfections in people, but revel in perfection in cookies. Which is why I use a disher/ice cream scoop.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:39 am

KMD wrote:I cherish imperfections in people, but revel in perfection in cookies. Which is why I use a disher/ice cream scoop.

I try to make up for my personal imperfections through my attention to detail in cookie-making. The more perfect I make my cookies, the less ashamed I feel of my past failures. I call this flawed theory "Cookie Karma."
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:08 am

I like "Cookie Karma." But I wonder what I'm trying to say when I do not care about how my cakes and other baked goods look, as long as they taste good. Seriously, a crack in the cheesecake? You're going to cut it anyway. The cake layers aren't level? Throw on more frosting!

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:53 am

Momma, that just means you will never reach a state of baked goods nirvana.

In my case, baked goods nirvana is a perfect pumpkin spice cheesecake with egg nog-flavored whipped cream on top.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:00 pm

I gotta say, I'm with Momma all the way on this one.

What about pies topped with meringue? I suppose all you cookie perfectionistas would prefer that the meringue be smoothed over completely rounded, like a huge marshmallow, instead of having all those beautiful peaks that get browned and develop subtle tan shades on the sides of the peaks, eh?

Ahhhh, I'm sorry. Some things just should not be tampered with. Like desserts. I am staunchly immovable on this topic.

And just for the record, I think the current trend of topping all cakes with that nasty, boring flat, disgusting fondant crap is the first sign of the directly imminent Apocalypse.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 02:01 pm

"I think the current trend of topping all cakes with that nasty, boring flat, disgusting fondant crap is the first sign of the directly imminent Apocalypse."

TOTALLY!!!

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 02:23 pm

But they look so pretty!!!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:38 pm

But the beauty is only 1/4 inch deep....
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Re: Momma Snider's Andes Mint Cookies

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:54 pm

I have to make 10 dozen cookies this week for the Creche Festival. I plan to make Andes Mint Cookies, but I'm glad I reread this thread and remembered that I could make brownies with Andes Mints on top. I think I'll double the cookie recipe and make however many that comes out to and then do a batch or two of brownies to fill in the remainder.

I also want to make enough peanut butter balls to give every staff member about three of them. That's probably only two batches, if I make them small, so that won't be too bad. And if I do them next week, there will still be another week before I start making the ones that my family will eat as fast as I can roll them.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 02 Dec, 2011 10:03 am

Turns out a double batch of the cookie dough made 14 dozen cookies. Unfortunately, Walmart only had two bags of Andes mints, which is only 100 pieces, but they also had Andes baking chips, so for the last four dozen cookies I placed a little spoonful of the chips on top of each cookie as they came out of the oven. It was a little messier and a little more trouble, but I think it worked just as well.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:37 pm

For the record, I had to make some of these today for a thing tomorrow, and I didn't have any brown sugar, so I used white sugar. It worked just fine, tastes great. I did add vanilla, which I don't do when I use brown sugar. I also cooked them too long, but I don't recommend that.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 09:45 am

Oh! And I got cookie scoops for Christmas, and I love them! I've never seen the need for them, and would never have paid the Pampered Chef price, but my sister had my name for Christmas, and also had a Pampered Chef party (she lives in Irvine, where people spend money on stuff like that) so she got me some. Amazing! Perfect little balls of cookie without having to touch the dough! She gave me three sizes. She also gave me a spreader, for frosting, which I've also never had. I've only made one cake since then, but it was delightful.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 07:36 am

We've converted her! Huzzah!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 08:08 am

Another latecomer to the cookie-dough-scoop army, but I'm here! I finally bought one about a year ago, and absolutely love it.

I also tried using an ice cream scoop of similar design for muffins, but that was less successful because it was a little too big and I kept hitting the side of the cupcake --excuse me--muffin paper. So I guess I could use a medium-size scoop, if I had one.

My birthday is tomorrow, so you know...

Huh. I just realized, today is the 20th anniversary of the Northridge Earthquake!

Return to “Recipes”