Momma Snider's Andes Mint Cookies

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Jason Leslie Wright

Momma Snider's Andes Mint Cookies

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Tue 29 May, 2007 09:12 am

This weekend I was asked to make some cookies for a family gathering. I figured that it had been long since having one of Momma Snider's Andes Mint Cookies so I decided an attempt to make such cookies. I knew that the recipe had been posted somewhere on the message board before but I definitely didn't find it here in the recipe section. Instead I found it here, buried in a thread about Eric's vacation, definitely not where a recipe of this caliber belongs. I ended up making the cookies and they were a huge hit. They disappeared within minutes. Here is Momma Snider's wonderful Andes Mint Cookie recipe as posted previously:

Andes Mint Cookies
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp. water
12 oz.pkg semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. Andes mints

Heat butter, sugar, and water in saucepan until butter is melted. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Pour into large bowl and cool 10 minutes. Beat in eggs, then add flour, soda, and salt and beat just until blended. Chill dough for an hour. Line cookie sheets with foil. Roll dough in 1" balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place an Andes mint on each cookie. After they melt, swirl each one with a knife and remove cookies from cookie sheet and let them cool until chocolate is solid.

I like to add an additional cup of chocolate chips after the dough has cooled just a little, so they melt a little but not completely. I also don't always chill the dough for an hour -- it's just as good to plop the stuff on the foil with a spoon as to roll in little balls.
<a href="http://family.jasonlwright.com/"><b><i>I got a blog...</i></b></a>

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 May, 2007 09:56 am

Thanks, Jason! I'm glad they were a hit. Now you have a reputation as the newly-married guy who makes the great cookies!

I had forgotten that the original recipe said to chill the dough for an hour. I never do that any more. I also tried them with Andes mint chips, and while the flavor was the same, there's something about that melted and then solidified mint on top that makes it so good.

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Tue 29 May, 2007 10:02 am

I didn't cool them for an hour either because of time and they tasted great. Thanks again for the amazing recipe...and for all the times that you actually made them so that I could be lazy and not do it.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 30 May, 2007 06:48 am

We can't get Andes Mints here. What are they like so I can pull a switcheroni if I desire?
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Wed 30 May, 2007 08:36 am

Andes mints are small rectangular candies that are 3 layers. They have a creamy mint layer in between 2 chocolate layers.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 31 May, 2007 07:14 am

Thanks! :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Thu 31 May, 2007 10:05 am

Jason forgot to mention that they taste like heaven. An important consideration when pulling a switcheroni.

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Thu 31 May, 2007 10:12 am

pizzocalabro wrote:Jason forgot to mention that they taste like heaven. An important consideration when pulling a switcheroni.
Very true. I don't know of any other candy in the states that tastes anything like them. They are far better than Peppermint Patties, Mint Kisses and anything else Mint that I can think of. You can buy them from Amazon if they ship over there.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 31 May, 2007 11:42 am

Yeah, I was trying to think of something comparable, and I really couldn't think of anything. It's milk chocolate, and the mint layer is the same texture as the chocolate (unlike Peppermint Patties, for example) and it melts so beautifully and then solidifies again when it cools. In texture it's like a Hershey bar, I guess. But that mint is just perfect. Heaven, for sure.

Who could tell I was trying not to eat any chocolate today?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 03:16 pm

Jason Leslie Wright wrote:I don't know of any other candy in the states that tastes anything like them. They are far better than Peppermint Patties, Mint Kisses and anything else Mint that I can think of. You can buy them from Amazon if they ship over there.

And if you go out to eat at The Olive Garden, they bring you one with your check, at the end of the meal! The wrapper says Olive Garden,: but them babies is Andes Mints, by golly.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 31 Oct, 2007 02:47 pm

NEWS FLASH
I was supposed to bring Andes Mint cookies to work today, but I forgot to make them last night. So instead I just brought the makings for The Brownies, minus the chocolate chips, plus a bag of Andes mints. And glory be and the saints be praised, it worked! I just made The Brownies as usual, and put the mints on top and let them melt, then spread them around, and then put them in the refrigerator.

Much easier than making cookies.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:31 pm

Oooo! That sounds so good!

I just wanted to tell you Momma, I have made your Andes Mint cookies a ton of times, for family events, church events, work events, whatever, and they are always a huge hit, and people just beg for the recipe. They're fantastic. You have made me look like a baking supa-star. :D Thank you!

When I make them though, I can get around 5 doz of those suckers in a batch. And that's just crazy! So, I've been known to make the cookie dough like usual, then half it, make half in the usual Andes Mint way, and then do something kooky with the other half. It's just a really good chocolatey cookie dough. I've added just white chocolate chips and baked them. Or these "Reece's baking chips" which are really mini Reece cups. I've baked them plain, and then smeared on top melted mini Krackle bars. Or other types of "flavored" chocolate chips. Last year at Christmas, Andes came out with a different baking chip, like candy cane flavored, and those weren't too bad. They don't melt as smooth as the usual Andes mints, but it was nice for a change. Anyway, my point is, 2 types of cookies, at least 2 dozen of each cookie, only 1 batch of cookie dough! I just love these things!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:45 pm

Good ideas! I've put butterscotch chips in just a few of the cookies, because no one but me likes that, but I loved it. I think white chocolate chips would be really, really good.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:23 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Good ideas! I've put butterscotch chips in just a few of the cookies, because no one but me likes that, but I loved it. I think white chocolate chips would be really, really good.

I love butterscotch chips! You should make butterscotch things when I'm home for Thanksgiving.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 08:28 am

I will! I didn't know you liked them. Actually, the only one I know who for sure doesn't is Chris, but he vocalizes enough for everyone.

And you'll be home in less than three weeks!

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 10:54 am

Momma Snider wrote:I will! I didn't know you liked them. Actually, the only one I know who for sure doesn't is Chris, but he vocalizes enough for everyone.

You can't go by Chris. Just think how weird life would be if everything conformed to Chris' tastes and standards. Ann Coulter would be president, and no one would be wearing pants.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 11:03 am

EricDSnider wrote:
Momma Snider wrote:I will! I didn't know you liked them. Actually, the only one I know who for sure doesn't is Chris, but he vocalizes enough for everyone.

You can't go by Chris. Just think how weird life would be if everything conformed to Chris' tastes and standards. Ann Coulter would be president, and no one would be wearing pants.

And everyone's favorite game would be throwing a ball at each other's crotches.

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 11:29 am

Momma Snider wrote:And everyone's favorite game would be throwing a ball at each other's crotches.

Wait! It's not?!
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:25 pm

Making these tonight . . .

And it's good to know that you don't have to chill them for an hour, because it's getting pretty late and I just barely put them in the fridge. The dough seems to sticky to roll right now though . . .
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:18 am

Lots of times I don't even roll them into balls, I just drop them by the spoonful, like I do with chocolate chip cookies. They aren't as uniformly round that way, but they do melt and spread, so it's okay.

Return to “Recipes”