cracker toffee

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 19 May, 2010 07:15 am

Momma Snider wrote:I won't mention that I sometimes lick the lid itself. I haven't cut myself yet, but I'm always afraid I'm going to.

I have. It was totally worth it.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 19 May, 2010 12:32 pm

Wow. I love you people.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 19 May, 2010 12:58 pm

Yeah, I totally do that too. Did you know that you can make dulce de leche by cooking a can of condensed milk in a pressure cooker? My husband does this all the time, and it tastes amazing.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 May, 2010 02:22 pm

I keep reading that you must never, ever cook an upopened can, yet people keep also telling me how good it is. It's probably one of those things where somebody, once, had an incident. And I guess in pressure cooker, even if it did explode, it would be contained.

I'm going to try it sometime.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 20 May, 2010 07:29 am

Wait, I missed something there. Are you telling me you put an unopened can of condensed milk, into a pressure cooker, and turn that sucker on, step back, and no one died? How is that possible? How have they not done this on Mythbusters yet?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 20 May, 2010 10:08 am

Here is my report on the New Cracker Toffee. It is wonderful!

1/4 cup melted butter
crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups chocolate chips

Line 10x15 pan with foil. Coat foil with melted butter and then line up crackers all over it.
Mix butter and sugar and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, or until it reaches 248 degrees. (It was exactly 2 minutes for me.) Remove from heat and whisk in sweetened condensed milk. Pour over crackers. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over top, let sit for a minute, and then spread. Put in freezer.

Flip it over, peel off foil, and cut on cracker lines (or smaller).

kentimus

Postby kentimus » Thu 20 May, 2010 10:56 am

Everytime I see the title of this thread, I think "toffee for white people." Shame on me.

The Don

Postby The Don » Thu 20 May, 2010 10:59 am

I always thought of you as a self-loathing WASP Kent.
I like traffic lights.

kentimus

Postby kentimus » Thu 20 May, 2010 11:29 am

The Don wrote:I always thought of you as a self-loathing WASP Kent.

Except I'm not Protestant. Does that make me a WASM?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 20 May, 2010 12:27 pm

Way to derail the thread, Kent.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

kentimus

Postby kentimus » Thu 20 May, 2010 12:33 pm

It amazes me that I haven't been kicked out of the village yet. What a tolerant bunch of people.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 May, 2010 12:11 pm

If derailing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Tue 25 May, 2010 09:08 am

KMD wrote:Wait, I missed something there. Are you telling me you put an unopened can of condensed milk, into a pressure cooker, and turn that sucker on, step back, and no one died? How is that possible? How have they not done this on Mythbusters yet?

Yes, that is what I am telling you. Crazy, huh? We have an old pressure cooker we bought in Brazil, and that's what they do there. I can ask the husband exactly how to do it, but I know it is a lengthy process.

Momma, wait for the exact instructions before you try it... I don't want to cause an explosion at your house!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Re: cracker toffee

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:34 pm

I'm bored, and quite sad that Christmas Candy Season is over, so I thought I'd remark on Cracker Toffee. My daughter-in-law made it with Club crackers, and it was the best ever. I started checking recipes and found several variations in cooking times, even though they all used a cup of butter and a cup of brown sugar, but what I posted originally was she did: 3 min. cooking, 5 min. baking at 375. I made it several times over Christmas. But I dreamed about it the other night, and it was a greasy mess. Maybe I need to make it again just to prove to myself that I can do it.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:29 am

Good idea!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:09 pm

On the Christmas Candy Season thread de-rail, I saw the cutest thing on a website the other day, and I really want to try it. They were finding a way to use up all the leftover candy canes from Christmas, so they took 2 of the mini candy canes, laid them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper so the candy canes were facing each other, making a heart. Then you melt chocolate, pour it in the center of the candy canes, to kind of "fill in" the heart, decorate with white chocolate chips, sprinkles, crushed candy canes, whatever. And add a sucker stick at the bottom, and now you have a chocolate peppermint pop, perfect for Valentine's!

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:25 pm

That does sound cute, KMD! I even have some mini candy canes left over from Christmas, so I may give that a try.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:40 pm

I just bought some candy canes because they were a quarter! Not mini, but not too big, either.

Return to “Recipes”