The 2007 Thanksgiving Recipes Thread-a-palooza

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

deepdish

The 2007 Thanksgiving Recipes Thread-a-palooza

Postby deepdish » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 12:33 pm

Share, share!
Chad

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:44 am

Since this thread seemed to be such a huge success, I decided to bump it up for Thanksgiving 2008! (I kill me.)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:00 pm

One thing I don't think has been addressed here, unless it has and I've forgotten, is Waldorf salad. It goes really well with a big turkey dinner, and it's really good the next day, and it makes you feel like you're eating healthy.

You just cut up apples and celery and walnuts or pecans (it's supposed to be walnuts, but they hurt my mouth, so I use pecans) and toss them together with some miniature marshmallows. The dressing is mayonnaise.

How many apples? How much celery? Probably for a large group you'd want about six apples and one bunch of celery, and as many nuts as you want, and about half a bag of marshmallows, and maybe a cup of mayo or so. I can't figure everything out for you!

Oh, and we like to use different colors of apples to make it pretty.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:06 am

Momma Snider wrote:You just cut up apples and celery and walnuts or pecans (it's supposed to be walnuts, but they hurt my mouth, so I use pecans)

Almost all nuts hurt my mouth, so when I make stuff that is waldorfish, I omit the nuts altogether. It still turns out really well for those of us that are anti-nut.

As for my favorite Thanksgiving recipe ever: Alton Brown's "Best Ever Green Bean Casserole" recipe.

I made this last year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it was amazing. I already like Green Bean Casserole, and this is leaps and bounds better than the "can of green beans, can of cream of mushroom soup, dump together and sprinkle with French Fried Onions" version. I will be making this again on Thursday, and it is the part I am looking forward to the most.

The part I am looking forward to second most: the world's easiest pie. Get a Jell-O no-bake cheesecake mix, a graham cracker crust (or substitute with an Oreo crust), and a can of your favorite pie filling. My favorite for this is plain old cherry. Anyway, make the no-bake cheesecake filling, pour into the crust, and refrigerate until it is fully set. Then pour the pie filling on top and refrigerate again until it is time to serve. If you like it a lot firmer, then you can freeze it and then take it out and put it on the counter to defrost for about a half hour before serving. I love this pie.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 01:32 pm

My wife and I will be hosting Thanksgiving for the first time ever this year. We will be making:

Alton Brown's turkey
Sweet Potato Delight (sans pecans)
Reguler old mashed potatoes (I use butter and milk. I might sneak some sour cream in there).
Cranbery Sauce - just the regular Ocean Spray recipe. I really like it.

Herb Dressing I call this "dressing" rather than "stuffing" since it won't actually get stuffed into the turkey. I have never tasted the equal of this recipe. My dad has been making it for over 40 years ever since he and my mom were newlyweds. I will be tripling this recipe.

Ingredients:

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 01:40 pm

Oh, and the brine for the Alton turkey wants crystalized ginger. I found a recipe where you can make your own. Basically you peel and chop ginger root, boil it in a simple syrup with lemon juice for 20 mintues, strain out the ginger and coat it with sugar.

It seemed like a shame to throw out the syrup after that, so I used it to make a ginger infused lemonade. It was really tasty!

Claytonius Maximus

Postby Claytonius Maximus » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 11:15 am

I have a question for those of you who have done the Alton Brown brined turkey.

I've cooked our last couple of turkeys this way, and they've come out really good, but there is one thing that bugs me. When I'm doing the first 30 minutes at 500 degrees, I get drippings hitting that roasting pan and subsequently filling up my house with smoke. It's cold enough here that I don't really want to open all the windows, so do any of you have any suggestions on how to deal with it? Oh, does it even happen to you guys at all? Maybe I'm doing something contrary to the One True Turkey Cooking Way, and am therefore being punished by the Turkey gods.

Also, my wife says just to put some water in the pan to catch the drippings, but I'm concerned about messing with Alton's Mojo.

CM
"You know, it's always a great thing when a director looks at you and says, `Even cheesier.'"

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 11:21 am

The cup of water idea is fine as far as it goes, but you're right about the mojo. I'd suggest a enough chicken broth to just cover the bottom of the pan. That way you get a little more poultry flavor instead of just watering it down.

You also end up with more gravy that way. Yum!

Alternatively, you could put some of the brine itself in the bottom of the pan. It will more than get hot enough, so that should alleviate any concerns about food safety.
Last edited by deepdish on Wed 26 Nov, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm

I'm not really here. I'm taking Thanksgiving week as a break from the internet. But, I just had to tell you guys what I made last night for Thanksgiving. We're at the in-laws this year, and they asked me to make an apple pie. Which, I love to do, and my recipe isn't really special enough to mention here. BUT! I also decided that if anyone wants ice cream with their pie, why serve the same old boring vanilla from a tub? So, I took Alton's walnut ice cream recipe and once I took it off the stove to cool, I added maybe a tsp. of maple extract, and made some awesome maple walnut goodness. I am telling you, I'm lactose intolerant. I have cold sensitive teeth. And just in general I don't like ice cream. And yet, I couldn't stop licking the bowl after I got this done! It was amazingly good!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm

As I bask in the afterglow of an excellent Thanksgiving feast, I just wanted to know how everyone else's stuff turned out.

Since we are at my parents' house (and both of them are pretty dangerous in the kitchen) I did almost all of the cooking. In the interest of simplicity, I did the turkey in a crock pot. When it was done, there was no need to cut it. I just lifted the breasts right off the bone and put them on the serving plate. All you had to do was stick the serving fork in the meat and you could pull away all that you wanted. While the flavor and the moistness was not what I wanted (I didn't have the time or the supplies to brine the meat here), it was pretty good for how little work it was.

We had some whipped potatoes, which were good. I made a batch of Alton's green bean casserole, which was excellent. We threw together some dressing that was really good, too. Especially since I fended off both of my parents' efforts to ruin it with water chestnuts. It was good times. Also: I hate cooking in my parents' little tiny, under supplied kitchen.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 01:17 pm

Jeff cooked the turkey in a roaster, and it was great, very moist. And he also made the best rolls ever, which I ended up almost burning as I heated them again at the last minute, but luckily remembered them just in time. We didn't have brown sugar for the yams, but I made a syrup of white sugar and butter, and it worked pretty well.

We had a perfect day, and a perfect dinner. No one had to work too hard, and we had the entire family here at Jeff's house: all six of our kids, all three of our grandkids, our only current daughter-in-law, and Joy's boyfriend.

I think I'll go eat some pie!

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:28 pm

I made the Dutch Cranberry-Apple pie that deepdish recommended here and it was a big hit.

Turkey was made by our friends, but no one knew how to carve it, so that fell on me. It was tender and fall-off-the-bone delicious.

All-in-all, a very good Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the pie recipe!
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:31 pm

Somehow, turkey-carving always falls on me. I hate it because of the mess; I love it because I can sneak pieces into my mouth while everyone else is starving waiting for the dinner bell to ring.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:02 pm

Oh, by the way, since we're at Jeff's and I didn't remember exactly how to make Chocolate French Silk Pie, I looked it up here on the Board to help me remember.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 08:41 am

Honestly, the in-laws turkey was tiny, and wayyy overcooked, and so dry I could barely choke it down. Which didn't matter much, since my son decided to melt down and throw a fit and wouldn't eat, so I had to leave the table with him anyway. The only bright spot was later, when he fell asleep on me, my MIL brought me a piece of hot apple pie, with the maple walnut ice cream and a little caramel sauce drizzled over that. It was the bestest.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:04 am

Thanksgiving dinner was great. We had two two turkeys, just like last year. My aunt roasted one in the oven and it was good. I smoked one on the grill using Alton's recipe. It was the best I've ever had. Last year we used apple chips and the smoke flavor was too mild. I used hickory this year and it was amazing and juicy and tender. I am feeling pretty good about this one.

Unfortunately, there were no leftovers for us, so my MIL decided to do another turkey dinner last night. I think she was trying to impress my SIL's boyfriend and over spiced the stuffing and the gravy. The turkey was way overcooked and she roasted it in a bag, which basically boiled the meat so it was dry. Basically everything tasted gross last night.

So the Mrs. and I were already set on always smoking the turkey, but last night sealed the deal. It is just a superior recipe, it's pretty easy, and your oven is free for other baking. I highly recommend trying it.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:38 am

Glad the recipe was a hit, KSS. It went over well-enough around here that my wife bought another set of the ingredients and made me make another one just for our home.

Note to self: next time I'm in the doghouse, offer wife something streusel-topped. All will be forgiven.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:20 pm

*bump*

We're hosting our first-ever Thanksgiving in our new house!! Any tips you all would like to share? Any mistakes you've learned from? We're in charge of the turkey & potatoes and two pies, and my aunt is bringing the rest of the sides (from Marie Calendar's) because she hates cooking can't imagine the joy of spending the day in the kitchen. I'm also using my china for the first time, so it will be interesting to see how that works out with all the kids. Luckily, they're all older - 5 to 13 . . . but I do have stone floors . . . so we'll see how it goes.

My biggest concern is the timing of everything. We were given free tickets to see KISS in concert Wednesday night, which is when I was planning to do the pies. So that cuts into my time a bit. Also, we just bought a new fridge to replace the tiny garage fridge we currently have, and it won't be delivered until Saturday. So I'm not planning to buy my turkey until tomorrow or Monday (is that too late?) and I'm going to brine it.

I'm making Momma Snider's French Silk Pie and a regular apple pie. I'm planning to make the crust dough Sunday night and then freeze it. I was going to make the French Silk pie on Wednesday but with the concert now I'm thinking I should make it Tuesday. Will it still be good on Thursday? The apple pie I'll make while the turkey is cooking, and then through it in the oven after dinner so that we can have dessert a couple hours later.

Oh, and the mashed potatoes I'll make while the turkey is cooking. This will be my first time making gravy from scratch, so that will be interesting.

I'm so excited!!!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 07:45 pm

The chocolate pies will be fine two days later, or even longer, so go ahead and make them ahead of time. Other than that, everything should be fine! Have fun with it. One thing I learned just last year about making gravy is to use Wondra instead of flour. It's practically foolproof.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 08:52 pm

We're hosting Thanksgiving this year, but only Lisapants's parents are going to be able to fly down for it. We'll brine our turkey again this year, a la Alton Brown, because it has always turned out awesome when we've done it in the past. Since Lisapants's parents are flying in on Thanksgiving Day itself, we are going to be cooking everything.

I also plan on making green bean casserole from scratch, turkey-dripping gravy using a roux, and probably the dinner rolls. I think Lisapants is going to be making the stuffing, an acorn squash dish, garlic mashed potatoes, and several pies.

Return to “Recipes”