Oatmeal Scotchies

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KareNin

Re: Oatmeal Scotchies

Postby KareNin » Mon 11 Apr, 2011 02:28 pm

Huh. Just my luck. I had the recipe correct the first time. THERE IS NOT ONE DROP OF SCOTCH IN THESE COOKIES.

Well, I sure could use a massage, then.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:27 am

I finally made some Oatmeal Scotchies yesterday. First I had Lindsay and Logan try a few butterscotch chips, which Lindsay liked a little and Logan loved. So I made a half batch of cookies, Logan loved loved loved them, and so did I. I added a few chocolate chips and cut back on the cinnamon, and the perfect baking time was 9 1/2 minutes.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 15 May, 2011 01:18 pm

This morning I made some Oatmeal Scotchies for a Linger Longer after church. They spread out so much I couldn't even get them off the pan. In rereading this thread, I see that the same thing happened back in 2007, but I was able to push them back into shape. This time they had already cooled too much, so I just scraped all the cookies together and reformed it into cookie shapes. We'll see how that turns out.

I think they did this because I greased the pan, but if I hadn't, they would have stuck to it. Maybe I need new cookie sheets.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 15 May, 2011 05:01 pm

Have you ever tried baking parchment? I know, it sounds impossibly fancy-schmancy, but I grudgingly admit to becoming a sort of part-time convert where cookie-baking is concerned. Some of the cookies I've had problems with in the past, either spreading out too much or staying in a lump, seem to shape up better if I use parchment on the sheets.

Also, I use 3 sheets in rotation when I'm baking a lot of cookies at once. And I make sure to cool the empty sheet before putting new globs of dough on it, even if I have to run it under cold water & dry it off first.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 15 May, 2011 07:55 pm

I will have to buy some baking parchment. I don't know why it's these particular cookies that get so bad, but I guess they do have a high proportion of butter to flour, with the oatmeal making up the difference. But that's what makes them okay to eat for breakfast. :)

My brother drinks SlimFast for breakfast, plus two Little Debbie's Oatmeal Pies. I just realized that he probably thinks they're healthy because of the oatmeal.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 16 May, 2011 10:26 am

I have a co-worker who once had a bowl of peanut butter for lunch because he heard protein is good for you.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 16 May, 2011 10:35 am

And then there's my coworker who eats double cheeseburgers, as long as she gets them without the bun. But then she gets french fries.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Mon 16 May, 2011 12:05 pm

KareNin wrote:Have you ever tried baking parchment? I know, it sounds impossibly fancy-schmancy, but I grudgingly admit to becoming a sort of part-time convert where cookie-baking is concerned. Some of the cookies I've had problems with in the past, either spreading out too much or staying in a lump, seem to shape up better if I use parchment on the sheets.

We bought a couple of Silpats (silicone baking sheets) from Costco for $20 several months back and we are totally converted. You don't grease them, but nothing sticks and they're super easy to clean. They have the same nonstick properties as parchment because they are silicone. I highly recommend them.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 16 May, 2011 12:28 pm

Good to know. But I would either have to buy 3, or alter my longstanding rhythm I get into when wrangling the 3 cookie sheets in a precision sequence. Dilemma.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 16 May, 2011 12:44 pm

I have one that I bought from a Pampered Chef a few years ago, which I only went to because it was my dear friend Zesdy having the party (or maybe her mom) but I never use it because it's much smaller than my cookie sheets. Come to think of it, maybe it's meant for a 9x13 pan, but I think it's bigger than that.

I'll have to remember this for my Christmas list.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 02:56 pm

I made Oatmeal Scotchies Friday night, because Eric mentioned them. I had forgotten this whole thread, but they didn't spread too much. I didn't use any cinnamon at all, and I did add a little extra flour, which I've been doing ever since the chocolate chip cookie thread.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 03:55 pm

Should I go for the alcohol bit, the transparent tape bit, or the nationality bit? I'll get back to you.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 04:10 pm

Go for the Trifecta, Scooter. You're on a roll today.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 06:54 am

I made oatmeal scotchies the other day as well! At work, I organized a tour of a local compressor station, and I was supposed to bring pizza for the guys that work there, but I couldn't leave it at that, so I made choc chip cookies, and oatmeal scotchies. And the oatmeal scotchies seem to have been a bigger hit than the choc chip! But, my main goal was accomplished, the guys at that site love me now, and any time I want to bring another tour through there, they will be more than happy to do it.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 08:54 am

My favorite use of butterscotch chips is WITH chocolate chips, in the same cookie. My VERY favorite is Magic Cookie Bars, or Seven-Layer Bars, or whatever you want to call them, only without the coconut. They're okay with coconut, too, but it's distracting. You know, the bars made with graham cracker crumbs and butter and sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. They're even better with some white chocolate chips added.

Mmmmm.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 02:50 pm

Seven-Layer cookies. Mmmmm. Now I'm drooling! Maybe I'll go write that on my list for cheat day. :D
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 04:11 pm

The big problem for me is that I'm really the only one in the house who likes butterscotch chips, so if I make them, I need to either eat them all myself (and I'm not saying I couldn't) or find someone to give them to. I guess that wouldn't really be that hard, though. I could make them on a Saturday and take them to the Primary teachers! Problem solved!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 09:00 am

Just to report that I made the best Oatmeal Scotchies EVER a few weeks ago, when Eric was here. I added a little extra flour to keep them from spreading all over the pan, and they were wonderful. I wish I had one right now!

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 08:39 pm

I'm not a big fan of scotchies. Whiskeys are more my speed.

Return to “Recipes”