Oatmeal Scotchies

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Re: Oatmeal Scotchies

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 02:42 pm

I'll bet that info was too late to get you some monkey bread for conference, huh?

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 03:02 pm

Re: a cube of butter

I remember once asking you to clarify what you meant by a "cube of butter" as well, Momma. I had never heard anyone call it that in my life before, only a stick of butter. And then last week one of my Facebook friends who lives in Idaho posted a status about how her daughter asked why it was called a cube of butter if it is really a rectangular prism, and a bunch of people ignored the cute comment from her daughter and jumped down her throat with "who calls it a cube" and I felt really bad for her. So now I'm wondering if "cube of butter" is a Western thing, especially since Wise asked about it too. Is this like pop/soda/Coke where your geographical location would influence your word choice?

So, what do the rest of you call it and where are you from? I've only ever heard a stick of butter out here in Pennsylvania.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 03:36 pm

I've heard it called a cube many times and always understood it to mean one stick. But I personally don't call it a cube because I don't like calling things cubes unless it has six faces, all of which are squares. I like my recipes to measure butter in cups rather than shapes. But maybe (probably) I'm just weird. It's fun to see my wife roll her eyes when she asks for ice cubes and I say, "Hmm, we don't seem to have any ice cubes. Would you be interested in some ice semi-circles?"
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 04:42 pm

Huh. I didn't know that was a regional thing. I've called it a stick before, too, but it's not really a stick, either. A stick is long and skinny.

It's a half cup, or 8 tablespoons, but that would throw some people off, too.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 08:36 pm

I was raised (well, to be grammatically correct, I guess I'd have to say I was reared) in Ohio, right next door to Pennsylvania, state-wise, and I always heard it called "a stick of butter."

But when I have occasionally heard others refer to "a cube of butter," I just figured it was 1/4 pound, or 1/2 cup of butter. Or margarine.

Robcan, you're hilarious. I think it's gonna be a minor miracle if Mrs. Can doesn't snap someday and beat you senseless, though. You should bring her flowers at least once a month. And update your blog, for goodness' sake.

I would like to start a new thread solely for the purpose of extolling my love for Greek yogurt. Would that be inappropriate?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 06:11 am

Momma Snider wrote:I'll bet that info was too late to get you some monkey bread for conference, huh?

Yes, although I have access to cubes/sticks of butter. What I don't have is biscuits.

I was not aware of monkey bread at all, let alone as a conference tradition.

I have also never before heard of a wrapper full of butter referred to as a cube. It much more resembles a stick in shape than a cube. A whole pound of butter more closely resembles a cube. I have no idea what would have happened had I gone with my instincts and dumped a pound of butter in there.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 09:00 am

I guess if you're talking real butter, which I almost never am, the box is usually more cube-like than the individual sticks. As I've said, I've heard it called both, and it never occurred to me that someone could have not heard it called a cube, but I just asked my coworker, who was also raised in California, and she said she calls it a stick. She thought a cube of butter was a little slice, what I know of as a pat.

Maybe it was my own sainted mother who messed me up. She was born in Wyoming and raised in Oklahoma and wherever else the oil fields called her dad, but ended up in San Diego as a teenager.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 04:07 pm

You know what? I discovered this just now, by accident.
I was trying to figure out how much vegetable oil I should substitute in a recipe that calls for shortening (it's for Banana Nut Bread, and I always used Buttery Flavor Crisco if it's for somebody besides myself, but I'm at my Mom's house, and she doesn't have any. Just 6 brown bananas).
I went to Cooks.com, and began reading about Conversions. Near the bottom of the screen, it mentioned "a cube of butter" and in parentheses said "1¼ inches each way, or 1 ounce."

I'd bet money that's not what your Mom meant by a cube of butter, but that's today's cooks for you, Momma. No respect for old traditions.

Bah. Humbug.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 08:51 pm

I just wanted to chime in and say that to me "cube of butter" has always meant a stick, 8 tablespoons, etc. I was born in the late 70s and have lived in various regions in th U.S. I'm sure I learned it from my mother who was raised in N. Utah.

Also, thongs are footwear. (Okay, underwear, too.)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 10:24 pm

And girls who let the top of their thong (underwear) show over the top of their jeans need to be smacked on their ample behinds with a thong (footwear).

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 07:29 am

Several years ago, we babysat a couple of kids for a family while they went to Honduras to do charity work for a couple of weeks. The family rule was that they were to be spanked for lying or "willful disobedience". They used a thong (footwear) because it was loud and hurt, but wouldn't injure them. So they called it the "electric thong", which nowadays could sound pretty bad: "I had to use the electric thong on the kids last night."
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 12:31 pm

I don't think I could spank someone else's kids. I wouldn't have been able to take this job.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 12:32 pm

And we are a LONG way from Oatmeal Scotchies!!
WiseNLucky

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 01:17 pm

...and the thread derailment wasn't even technically solely my fault this time.

Maybe I'm losing my touch.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 04:09 pm

To repeat my Facebook statusi from last week: Oatmeal Scotchies = YUM.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 04:45 pm

I'd make some tonight, except the main cookie-eater in the family besides me doesn't like butterscotch chips, and I'd hate to find that I had to eat them all myself.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 07 Apr, 2011 07:49 am

Wait, don't re-rail the thread yet...

Card wrote:I just wanted to chime in and say that to me "cube of butter" has always meant a stick, 8 tablespoons, etc. I was born in the late 70s and have lived in various regions in th U.S. I'm sure I learned it from my mother who was raised in N. Utah.

Also, thongs are footwear. (Okay, underwear, too.)

Whenever I have a new hire orientation for call-center employees, I always review the dress code. Our dress code is pretty relaxed, and we allow any kind of footwear. I have to make sure to say, "you are allowed to wear flip-flops." If I said "you are allowed to wear thongs," it might confuse them, especially since I just finished reviewing the sexual harassment policies with them.

Okay, now, I hear that Oatmeal Scotchies are quite delicious. You can really taste the scotch.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 07 Apr, 2011 02:13 pm

robcan2 wrote: Okay, now, I hear that Oatmeal Scotchies are quite delicious. You can really taste the scotch.

Ummm, could you re-post the recipe, please? I must have missed a key ingredient the first time. This might explain why Karie likes them so much.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 11:45 am

Interesting comments about the cube of butter. I might be more confused than before! :lol:

KareNin, thread away about the greek yogurt and I will join you! I am in love with Chobani yogurt, especially the lemon and the honey ones.

I am apparently in the minority on this one, but put me firmly in the "thongs are ONLY underwear" camp. The sandal is called a flip-flop, people!

Finally, if it weren't for the whole Word of Wisdom thing, I'm pretty confident my veins would be pumping scotch. That stuff smells soooooo good!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:15 am

Oatmeal Scotchies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 package (11 oz.) butterscotch flavored chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add oats and butterscotch morsels; mix well. Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 7 to 8 minutes for a chewy cookie or 9 to 10 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Just the butterscotch variety of scotch!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Return to “Recipes”