Oatmeal Scotchies

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

petullant

Oatmeal Scotchies

Postby petullant » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 01:59 pm

In the Andes Mint Cookie thread there was mention of butterscotch - recently I made and ate Oatmeal Scotchies for the first time and it was absolutely so yummy. (Much better than the chocolate pumpkin muffin recipe I tried and hated!)

For a hilarious blog entry that gives the recipe please go here

Here's the recipe I used taken directly from that blog entry (but it's also on the Quaker Oatmeal website)

Oatmeal Scotchies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 package (11 oz.) butterscotch flavored chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add oats and butterscotch morsels; mix well. Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 7 to 8 minutes for a chewy cookie or 9 to 10 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

I made a couple of changes: I removed the "margarine" option from the butter line, and I removed the word "optional" from the salt line. Obviously you may use margarine and leave out the salt, but there will be an awkward silence when you tell me about it.
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 02:04 pm

I've also had them where you use half butterscotch chips and half semi sweet chocolate chips. Way yum.

Chad

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 02:58 pm

I'd forgotten all about those! I've never made them, but I love to eat them. I agree that a little bit of salt isn't optional in most cookies and other baked goods. And I just won't tell you about it if I use Imperial margarine instead of butter. To me it has more butter flavor than butter, sometimes.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm

Mom, you senile old woman, you have so made Oatmeal Scotchies. In fact, you were the one who told me what they were called, after I told you I'd eaten some at a bakery in Draper and they were delicious. You made a batch one time when I was home a couple years ago. YUMMMMM. Since they have oatmeal, you can eat them for breakfast.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 03:52 pm

Oh, yeah.

I'll make some more when you're home for Thanksgiving in THREE WEEKS.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 05:30 pm

Funny. She seems to be able to remember vividly about you coming home in three weeks. I think that has made it into various posts numerous times.

She always seems to equate time in units of "until Eric comes home" or "until I go see Jeff" or "since Eric was home", etc.

Perhaps if you pointed out how many "since Eric was home(s)" she'd be better able to remember.

Like, "Mom, it was three Since-Eric-Was-Homes since you last made Oatmeal Scotchies."
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

fairyshasha

Postby fairyshasha » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 07:07 pm

EricDSnider wrote: In fact, you were the one who told me what they were called, after I told you I'd eaten some at a bakery in Draper and they were delicious.

Do you remember the name of the bakery? My parents live there. To be able to recommend a great place somewhere that they live and I have only been to a few times just appeals to me.

(as do the sound of those cookies)
I had a baby this year. Three girls total now!

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Thu 01 Nov, 2007 10:06 pm

It was a cookie bakery, actually. Cookies 'R' Us or something like that. It was at the intersection of 12300 South and Minuteman Drive/Factory Outlet Drive, right next to the Wendy's. This was over two years ago, so I don't know if they're still in business. They were new at the time, and I'm sure they were struggling, like all new food-based businesses.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 02 Nov, 2007 09:20 am

So When Eric Comes Home I'll make Oatmeal Scotchies, and When Laura Comes Home I'll need to make Andes Mint Brownies. When Jeff and Beth Come Home, we'll see what they want.

That's pretty much the way I mark time these days, SuperSon. You got it exactly right.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 02 Nov, 2007 09:22 am

Jeff and Beth don't eat sugar these days, so when we come home, we'll have you make us rice patties or something.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 20 Nov, 2007 02:24 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I favred the oatmeal scotchies. (That means I messed them up, in Sniderese.) They spread out all over the pan. I think maybe the baking soda is old. I kind of repaired them by pushing them back into the proper shape while they were still hot and then baking for another minute. They taste good, just not very pretty.

Lady Celtic

Re: Oatmeal Scotchies

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 29 Mar, 2011 03:58 pm

So after having this recipe sitting in my binder for *cough*threeandahalfyears*cough*, we finally had all the right ingredients and made the scotchies for FHE last night. OH. SO. YUMMY. My will power during pregnancy is pretty darn low as it is, and these cookies are going to be the death of my "good" weight gain. But they're worth it!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:41 pm

I'm stoked that you commented on this thread, Lady C, thereby bringing the recipe to the forefront of my consciousness. You've been extolling their yumminess on Facebook for three days, but I didn't know exactly what Oatmeal Scotchies were.

Now that I know, I plan to make some soon, as a Special Breakfast Treat. These could just very well be the New Midwest Version of General Conference Monkey Bread™ which has been a staple at many a session of Snider Pajama Church for decades.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 07:07 am

Is the recipe for Monkey Bread posted on here anywhere? I ask because the other day in daycare, my son came home with this recipe for making Turtle Bread, and ingredient 1 was "Turtle Bread dough", but no where did they list the ingredients of Turtle Bread dough! Basically, it looked to me that they took something like Monkey Bread, put 2 large balls together to make a shell, then 4 smaller balls for legs, and 1 for a head, add raisin eyes, and bake. But, I don't have a recipe for Monkey Bread, so I can't make Turtle Bread either.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 07:50 am

Monkey Bread by my definition is this:
4 pkg refrigerated biscuit dough
1 cube butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. cinnamon

Break each (uncooked) biscuit into four pieces. Roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place in greased bundt pan (I actually use a 9x13 pan because I like more crusty parts, but for turtles you'd probably want to use a cookie sheet anyway). Pour melted butter over all. Bake at 375 until done. I seriously don't know how long that will be. For turtles, probably only about 10 minutes, but it's more like 30 if they're all piled together in a bundt pan.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:31 am

And the new alterations that we've tried and loved:

Use brown sugar instead of some (or all) of the sugar. Also, instead of pouring melted butter over the top of the whole thing, you melt butter and brown sugar together to make a caramel-ish thing, and you pour it over layers of the dough at intervals (so you throw some of the cinnamon-dough in the pan, pour some brown-sugar-butter over it, throw some more c-d in, more b-s-b over it, etc.). Momma Snider will be trying it that way for the first time tomorrow morning, so she will let you know if she liked it.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 08:42 am

I'm not getting the monkey bread description. These refrigerated biscuits are the tubes which pop open and make lots of individual biscuits, right? To further cut those into 1/4 and stack doesn't make sense to me.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 10:16 am

You don't stack them, you just toss them in the pan. After you have covered the bottom of the pan, you pour on some of the brown sugar/butter mixture and then toss in the rest of them.
I just finished eating some, and they are awesomely good with the brown sugar addition!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 06:53 am

Is a cube of butter one stick (1/4 lb.) or a whole pound?
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 10:28 am

One stick.

Return to “Recipes”