Crockpot recipes

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Crockpot recipes

Postby KMD » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:10 am

Adhis is in need of crockpot recipes, and so am I. Working a 9 hour day, and doing an hour commute, by the time I get home, we have to eat immediately, just to have time to give our son a bath and put him to bed. There is no time left for cooking. So, there has been way too much fast food at my house. And "not so fast" food, as in, I have Applebee's, Outback, Ruby Tuesdays all in my cell phone, and know at just what point in my commute to place that call, so the food will be waiting on me. So, crockpot meals would be great! What do you guys do?

I really only have 3 things I do in my crockpot. BTW, I have one of those huge, oblong crockpots, so some of these things might not fit in yours, if you've got one of the typical round ones.

1) Roast. I usually cut up some onion, potatoes, carrots and put them in the bottom of the crock first. Then take a large hunk of beef, make slits in it, insert garlic cloves. Apply salt, pepper, whatever other seasoning sounds good. Put the roast on top of the veggies, essentially using them as a "roasting rack". Add lid, turn on low, come eat 8 hours later. Also good, getting those pre-marinaded/seasoned beef or pork roasts from the grocery store. I just dump those in, as is, turn it on and let the crockpot do it's voodoo.

2) Turkey breast. I get just a breast, bone in, and put it in there. I put a little butter under the skin, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning on the outside, and set to low, eat 8 hours later. Please, do yourself a favor, don't go adding water/broth/soup mix/whatever. If you leave it alone, it's a "dry method" cooking, and it'll come out similar to if you did it in your oven. If you add liquid (as my sister does), you're essentially boiling a turkey, and it comes out, well, chewy, tough, generally unappetizing. It's not like a hunk of cow or pig, there's not a lot of fat/connective tissue in there, so nothing to break down into gelatin-goodness. So please, don't.

3) You know those little packs of cornish game hens they sell at the grocery store, 2 in a pack? Well, sometimes, when we've had enough same-old, same-old, I buy a pack of these. I can fit both of them in my crock pot, end to end. I fix them the same as the turkey, little butter, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning. They come out tasting like chicken (because really, that's what they are) but just taste a little different. I don't know, maybe it's the loss of the growth hormones...

4) Duck. Again, for something different. I can fit a whole duck in my crockpot. If it came with an orange sauce, put that on there, if not, add some orange marmalade, or apricot preserves work pretty good too.
Same as above, lid, low for 8 hours or so. Eat.

5) Ribs. If I'm going to do this one, I tend to make my own barbeque sauce the day before and use it. I can fit 2 racks in my pot, so I usually put in one rack, sauce, second rack, sauce, let cook all day. Add more sauce when time to serve.

You'll notice no stews. My husband hates stew. In fact, he refuses to eat the veggies that cook under the roast on the above recipe. So, I'm limited in my crockpot recipes. But don't let that stop you posting them! Now, somebody else get in here and post some recipes!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:49 am

How can anyone hate a crock pot stew? That's just sad. Stews from the crock pot are the best!

I have done a couple of chili recipes in our crock pot before. I think they came from the recipe book that was in the box with the pot. Does anyone have any good chili recipes to share?
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

treen

Postby treen » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:09 pm

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

All crockpot recipes ... I also posted this link on the money-saver thread on the other board. The writer does all kinds of stuff, including chocolate cookies made with Fritos - weird! (Fri. June 6 on the blog.)

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:07 pm

First and foremost: Use the Crockpot liner bags! I know it adds $0.50 to each time use use your crockpot, but the time you save not having to scrub a dirty burnt-on crockpot is sooo worth it!

Here's my family's favorite. It uses a relatively cheap cut of meat (I can often find Boston Butt for $.99/lb) and it's potentially a 3-mealer:

Mexican Shredded Pork

1 five-pound-ish Boston Butt
3 pkgs Chi-chi's Restaurante Fiesta style seasoning(do not substitute!)
1 tablespoon beef base
1.5 cups hot water
extra cool water

Put the meat in the pot. Dissolve the beef base into the hot water. Add the 3 pkgs of seasoning mix into the hot water once the beef base is fully dissolved. Let soak for a minute, then pour over the meat. Add enough cool water to completely (but just barely) cover all the meat. Put the lid on the pot.

Cook on low 7-9 hours. Ten minutes before serving, remove all the meat from the pot and shred. Discard big chunks of fat. Put the shredded meat back into the pot and serve from the pot.

Meal 1: Prepare your family's favorite Mexican fixings (soft tortillas, hard tortillas, sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, black olives, salsa) and let everyone make tacos/burritos their favorite way.

At the end of the meal, save the leftover meat and broth and refrigerate together (in the original pot if possible).

Meal 2: Peel any coagulated fat from the top of the pot and discard. Pull some (like 90%) of the leftover shredded pork out and into a medium bowl. Toss with two cups shredded mexican-blend cheese, 1 chopped small onion, and some chopped cilantro. Let the mixture sit undisturbed for 20 minutes to let the flavors blend. Roll some of this mixture up into a soft corn tortilla and repeat until you have filled a 9x13 baking pan. Pour a can or two of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and bake uncovered for 25 minutes at 350-degrees. Top with more shredded cheese and put back into the oven until the cheese has melted and bubbles. Top with sour cream and/or sliced black olives if you desire. If, by chance, there's any leftover shredded meat mixture, throw it back into the crockpot in the fridge.

Meal 3: Take the chilled crockpot from the fridge and plug it back in. Stir a tablespoon of cornstarch into the cold liquid. Set the heat to low and let it reheat 2-4 hours covered. This makes fantastic tortilla soup. Serve in bowls with tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream on the table. Add a small salad and it makes for a great light meal!

Chad

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:25 pm

About putting the potatoes and carrots and stuff in at the beginning, don't they get way overcooked and mushy? I don't use the crock pot very often, because I'm in a lot more hurry in the morning than I am after work, but I am getting tired of eating the same old things, cooked in the same old way, so I've been thinking about the crock pot. I like stew, and I like pot roasts, but I was just afraid the vegetables would be unappetizing.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:38 pm

Last time I made a pot roast the potatoes, carrots, and onions tasted better than the meat! And they definitely weren't mushy.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:08 pm

deepdish wrote:1 five-pound-ish Boston Butt

:shock:

I'm ignorant when it comes to meats (having been raised in a fish-and-chicken home), but I want to make this. Please, clarify for me what "butt" is and where one would get "butt" without getting it kicked or whooped.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

The Don

Postby The Don » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:16 pm

Sweet Pulled Pork

1 Pork Loin 4-5 pounds
Onion sliced in half
2 cups of pineapple/orange juice (or 1 cup of orange and 1 cup of pineapple)

Spice Rub: (These are rough estimations. I've never measured.)
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp of cumin
2 tbsp of brown sugar
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp black pepper

Directions:
-Rub the roast with the spice rub.
-Put both halves of the onion in the bottom.
-Pour in the juice.
-Place the roast on the onions.
-Cook on low 6-8 hours.
-Remove roast when falling apart and still moist.
-Shred roast and serve on crusty rolls.

I like to mix just enough bbq sauce (see my recipe below) with the pulled pork that it lends flavor without overpowering the roast.

BBQ Sauce: (Again, more approximations)
- 2 cups of ketchup
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. cumin
1/4 inch fresh ginger grated.

Sautee onion until translucent. Add ginger. Sautee for 3-5 seconds. Add ketchup and the rest of the ingredients. Cook till flavors come together, about 10 minutes.
Last edited by The Don on Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like traffic lights.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:17 pm

It's from the pig's shoulder area, so probably any pork roast would work. I've never seen Boston Butt either.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:57 pm

My aunt gave me this recipe. She calls it Yummy Crock Pot Chicken.

6-8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg Good Seasons Zesty Italian dressing mix (dry)
1 cup chicken broth (or 1 bouillon cube with 1 cup of water)
1 tsp parsley
Note: can add chopped celery, grated carrots, etc.

1 8oz cream cheese, softened

Combine all ingredients except cheese in crock pot on low. Cook for 5 hours.

Add softened cream cheese and cook 1 more hour.

May need to thicken with cornstarch.

Serve over rice or noodles.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:04 am

ImAdhis wrote:
deepdish wrote:1 five-pound-ish Boston Butt

:shock:

I'm ignorant when it comes to meats (having been raised in a fish-and-chicken home), but I want to make this. Please, clarify for me what "butt" is and where one would get "butt" without getting it kicked or whooped.

Momma's right. "Boston Butt" is just another name for pork shoulder. For some reason, the shoulder cut of pork is called pork butt. From the Wikipedia page:

It is said that in pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment.[2] The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston butt". The name "Boston butt" is not used in Boston but is used in other parts of the U.S.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:52 am

Oh yeah, gotta love the Butt.

Boston Butt tends to have a little more fat to it than a traditional pork roast which makes it ideal for crockpot cooking. If you were cooking with a lean pork cut I might suggest an extra teaspoon of beef base to make up for a little of the flavor difference.

Our Super Walmart (i know, i know) usually has them shrink-wrapped in the cold case. Since every Walmart is exactly like every other Walmart, that might be a good place.

Or, if you know of a local butcher shop they'd know all about the Butt.

Chad

jebelwife

Jebelsoup for the jebelpot

Postby jebelwife » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 03:57 pm

Hey!
I haven't been on the board for a bit and I saw this thread. I tried to link to our recipe that we posted several years ago but it won't let me. So, here is the famous Jebelsoup recipe. I go heavy on the cilantro and garnish the individual bowls with broken chips and shredded cheddar cheese. Also, it is great the next day in a burrito with refried beans.
In addition, I serve cornbread (the Jif kind) with the soup. And I make the cornbread more moist by adding 4 oz. of applesauce for every box of mix. My boys eat it like candy.

Tortilla soup for the crockpot

1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
4 tsp. chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. margarine
30 oz. chicken stock
1 small can tomato sauce
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning
1 can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
2 handfuls tortilla chips

Place all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on LOW all day. Shred chicken before serving and garnish with additional tortilla chips and 1/2 c. shredded cheese if desired. Serves 6 to 8.
--------------------
"It is important for students to learn facts and get an education. Because if they don't then they grow up to be stupid."

One of my SAT students

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 11 May, 2010 07:46 am

Bump for lilics. Lots of good recipes in here. :D
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 12 May, 2010 11:26 am

I KNEW we'd done this before! Thanks KMD!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Return to “Recipes”