The Brownies Accident

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

The Brownies Accident

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 05:30 pm

So I'm at Jeff's, and Bethy needed to take dessert to a neighbor who had just had a baby. I offered to make some The Brownies, since they're simple and I wouldn't need to find a recipe. I noticed that the batter was a little salty, which was weird, because I usually add a little salt, and I hadn't done that. Then, when they were baking, they were flatter than usual and were still totally wet in the middle when they should have been done. I baked them about 10 minutes longer. They were crispy around the edges, but fine in the middle. I made some frosting for them, and they were very good, but different, much more chewy.

Later, I noticed a different Rubbermaid container of flour than the one I had used. Turns out I had used pancake mix instead of flour! Momma's getting so old!

ImAdhis

Re: The Brownies Accident

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 05:53 pm

Mmmm... Breakfast Brownies...
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 09:27 am

Momma Snider wrote:So I'm at Jeff's, and Bethy needed to take dessert to a neighbor who had just had a baby. I offered to make some The Brownies, since they're simple and I wouldn't need to find a recipe. I noticed that the batter was a little salty, which was weird, because I usually add a little salt, and I hadn't done that. Then, when they were baking, they were flatter than usual and were still totally wet in the middle when they should have been done. I baked them about 10 minutes longer. They were crispy around the edges, but fine in the middle. I made some frosting for them, and they were very good, but different, much more chewy.

Later, I noticed a different Rubbermaid container of flour than the one I had used. Turns out I had used pancake mix instead of flour! Momma's getting so old!

Interesting. So, essentially, you made a chocolate biscuit bars.... Or maybe it would be more like chocolate muffin bars or something. That sounds really good, actually.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 06:45 pm

Those sound really yummy!!!
Last edited by Mrs. Goofy Gordon on Thu 03 Jul, 2008 03:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Thu 03 Jul, 2008 03:19 pm

And thus, we learn the secret behind the "mistake" that is to be how Momma makes her millions.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 01:54 pm

Karenins_SuperSon wrote:And thus, we learn the secret behind the "mistake" that is to be how Momma makes her millions.

Are you implying...that this was no MERE ACCIDENT?!

*DUN DUN DUN DUN-N-N-N-N-N!!!!!!*
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

petullant

Postby petullant » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:49 am

Would someone kindly direct me to the recipes for the brownies. I can't find it even though we not have a whole separate forum just for this kind of thing. Boo!

Thanks in advance.
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

petullant

Postby petullant » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:51 am

Just found it - sorry!

Mix together really well:
1 cup butter (melted)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs

Barely mix in:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa

After barely mixed, stir in 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips. Spread in a 9"x13" pan, put chocolate chips on top (about another 1/2 cup). Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 32 minutes.

Peanut Butter Variation:
Before you start, mix 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 egg, and spread that in the bottom the the pan. Then put the brownie batter on top, and put some peanut butter chips in it along with the chocolate chips. If you like peanut butter, this version is even better than the original.
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:46 am

The other thing I found out recently is that my sister only bakes hers for 25 minutes! We had a comparison party at the last family birthday night, and she swore she had only baked them 25 minutes, and they were fine. But she leaves them sitting on the stove and doesn't try to cut them until they're cool, and I get them away from the heat right away. Or maybe our ovens are just that different, but I wouldn't think so. Anyway, the thing is, if you're in a hurry you might just be able to take them out a little sooner.

And don't forget, if you're using margarine instead of butter, like I do, it has to be GOOD margarine. I use Imperial.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:29 am

Momma Snider wrote:The other thing I found out recently is that my sister only bakes hers for 25 minutes!

And you're going to let her out-do you like that???
Bake yours for only 20 minutes and let her see how she likes them apples!
Er, brownies.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:49 am

Funny you should say that. She's a teacher, and she cooks in her classroom every week and ties it into whatever they're learning about. (When she teaches kindergarten, for example, she has a recipe for every letter of the alphabet.) Then, for Mothers Day, she gives each mom a cookbook with all the recipes in it, with the kids' comments. This year her computer had crashed, so I was typing all the recipes for her, copying from previous books, and that's when I noticed the baking time. In fact, in several of the books, it did say 20 minutes. Turns out that was a typo, but I feel so sorry for those moms who actually tried to make brownies and ended up with ice cream topping.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 01:52 pm

I just did another variation of The Brownies, peanut butter. This time I didn't put the cookie layer in the bottom, just made the regular recipe, only with Hershey's Special Dark cocoa. I put that in the pan, and then I melted about a half-cup of peanut butter and then put about a cup of peanut butter chips in that, and stirred until they melted, too. Then I swirled that into the batter in the pan and baked as usual.

For frosting, I tried the Twix bar recipe, which is 2/3 cup of peanut butter, melted with 1 cup chocolate chips.

That was some good stuff.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 02:06 pm

Sandee recently made some brownies, and they were mightily tasty. The only complaint I have is that I like brownies with nuts, but her allergies are such that I don't often get them. In any case, as I was taking a brownie, I noticed my jar of chunky peanut butter. Simply spread a little on top and it's like an open faced Reeses peanut butter cup. Sorta, but better.

Sorry folks, that's the closest thing to a recipe you'll be getting from me. :)

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 07:52 am

I would guess by now you have discovered the um... side effect of having that much Hershey's Special dark cocoa in a recipe. Personally, I love the dark chocolate taste, so I use it anyway, but I warn people of the after effects.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 11:26 am

No, I haven't noticed any side effects. Maybe if I had eaten more than one or two brownies, but I do try not to do that. I'll have to ask the custodian, who was the reason I made them, and who took a whole plate home.

The reason I made them was that it was his birthday, and we had a lunch for him, and I always get dibs on the cake. For him I always make a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. But the PTA decided they would bring him a cake, not knowing that I always make him one, only they said they were going to bring carrot cake, and I don't know if he even likes carrot cake. So I made The Brownies, a plate for him and a plate for the rest of us to share. Then it turned out they were BUYING the carrot cake, and Costco was out of them, so they just brought a chocolate Costco cake, and we just sent it straight to the staff lounge and we ate brownies.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 23 May, 2011 12:11 pm

My sister came up with another variation of The Brownies that I am very excited about. She used brown sugar instead of white sugar in the brownies, and butterscotch chip instead of chocolate, and then put brown sugar in the frosting.

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or Imperial
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
Mix well. Stir in:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Stir in 1 cup butterscotch chips. Spread in greased pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Frosting:
4 TB butter melting in a pan
2 cups brown sugar added to it
Boil for about a minute
Remove from heat and add
dash of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix that all up then alternate
powdered sugar and evaporated milk until it's how you will like it.

Edited to change amounts of baking powder and soda.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 11:22 am

I made the brown sugar brownies the other night, only I didn't have butterscotch chips. I used white chocolate chips and some milk chocolate chips. Interesting thing about white chocolate chips, they seem to cook more than other chips. In this case, they got a little bit crunchy, so some people thought they were nuts. I was okay with that, since I knew they weren't. And the frosting! Oh, my. I think I can tweak it a little bit and make See's Butterscotch Squares, which are my favorites. The texture is a little grainy, just perfect.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 01:18 pm

I don't think I've mentioned the different way I'm making frosting now, when it's for The Brownies. I melt the butter on the stove and add a little bit of the evaporated milk, maybe 2 Tbsp. I keep cooking it while I stir in about a third of the powdered sugar. Then I get the hand mixer and beat in the cocoa and vanilla and the rest of the powdered sugar, and more milk if necessary. The effect is that it's almost like fudge, rather than frosting. I like that.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 Sep, 2013 02:47 pm

I just saw a recipe on Facebook for brownies that only have 37 calories each, or so it says. I will have to buy some Greek yogurt and some applesauce, but I have everything else.

3/4 cup vanilla non-fat greek yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup oatmeal, the old-fashioned kind
1/2 cup Truvia or other sweetener that pours and measures like sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup applesauce
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
Put all in blender for about a minute, until smooth. Bake in greased 8x8 pan at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

I don't have an actual blender, either, but I do have a Magic Bullet, so we'll see.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 21 May, 2014 10:01 am

Above recipe: not that great.

New change to my The Brownies:
Instead of making my regular frosting last night, I decided to make the one that I used to put on the Wilderness Cherry Chocolate cake. Have you had THAT? Because that's so good! For that, you just mix a can of cherry pie filling into a chocolate cake mix, bake, and then pour this concoction on top:

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk (as always, evaporated milk is best)
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chocolate chips
Cook sugar, milk, and butter together to a rolling boil, and boil one minute. Stir in chocolate chips until melted, and pour over warm cake. Or Brownies. Or into a
cup so you can eat it with a spoon as soon as it cools enough that it won't burn your mouth.

My husband said I have once again raised the bar on brownies.

Return to “Recipes”