Easter recipes

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Easter recipes

Postby KMD » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 01:10 pm

So, what does everybody do for Easter? (Those who celebrate, that is.) Are you ham people? Turkey? Both? Lamb?

Anything utterly essential, foods that IT JUST ISN"T EASTER without...
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 03:01 pm

My family never really had a particular food for Easter besides dyed hard boiled eggs. However, I have seen and experienced many other people's Easter food traditions. One of my favorites was a family on my LDS mission in Milwaukee that invited us over for Easter Brunch. They served home-made spinach quiche, home fries, and kielbasa with horseradish. It was heavenly.

I have also seen a lot of people do the ham thing, which I also enjoy. I have never seen anyone that does turkey for Easter. Or lamb, though I suspect I would very much enjoy some lamb for Easter.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 05:04 pm

Traditional for me is ham and potato salad. And we always would use the colored eggs for the potato salad, and some of them would crack, so they would absorb some dye, so the potato salad is multi-colored.

For some reason I want pineapple upside-down cake to be traditional, but I think I'm the only one who really loves it in my family now. When I was a kid, we all loved it.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 09:49 pm

We usually do the ham thing, though I was thinking that rabbit would be the best Easter main course ever.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 07:40 am

We're lamb people.

It was fine when we were in California. But, our first Easter after moving to Missouri, we came to find out that lamb isn't that popular out here so we had our first year without it...since, like, EVAR.

Growing up we did lamb, but, I'm assuming due to the cost of leg of lamb, we also had ham. Since we also had mint apple jelly with the lamb, we tenderly referred to our Easter Feast as:

Ham, Lamb, and Jam.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 07:52 am

My family did both a turkey and ham, but the ham was the star, just like at Thanksgiving the turkey is the star. I got a recipe years ago for making this brown sugar crust on the outside of the ham, using a creme brulee torch, and golly was it good. I should do that!

My mom would make a chocolate cake, and this homemade cooked icing (I think I've posted the recipe on here for that before) and she cut the cake in a certain way, and covered the icing in coconut, and made the whole thing look like a bunny rabbit. Put it on a bed of green dyed coconut, surrounded by jelly beans, it was so cute! When did she have the time to do these sorts of cute things? I know I don't! I'll be lucky if I have time to bake a cake at all, forget about cutting it into fancy shapes and dying coconut!

My grandma and her sister, very Italian little old ladies, always made this braided bread thing, in a circle, with eggs worked into the braid and the eggs got baked in the oven with the bread. It was all symbolic of the Holy Trinity and rebirth and all that stuff. But I'm pretty sure the recipe for that went with them...

This is the first year I'm dying eggs with my son. He doesn't know it yet, but Mommy has a huge aversion to eggs, especially the smell of them. So, I don't know quite how I'm going to do this, without yakking everywhere. Yeah, me and potato salad, not so much. Blech!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 09:11 am

KMD wrote:Yeah, me and potato salad, not so much. Blech!

Forget potato salad, you and egg salad. Even Less.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:35 am

Karenins_SuperSon wrote:We're lamb people.

It was fine when we were in California. But, our first Easter after moving to Missouri, we came to find out that lamb isn't that popular out here so we had our first year without it...since, like, EVAR.

Growing up we did lamb, but, I'm assuming due to the cost of leg of lamb, we also had ham. Since we also had mint apple jelly with the lamb, we tenderly referred to our Easter Feast as:

Ham, Lamb, and Jam.

I was hoping you'd post this, Steve. I figured my credibility around here is shot and nobody would believe it, if they bothered to read it. Don't forget that somewhere along the line, we added yams to the menu, and I was considering including Spam, but got shouted down.

Yesterday Tom and Dennis went to the grocery store and brought home a gigantic leg of lamb that the Meijer butcher was just putting out from a huge case, and it was 40% off. I told them I'd make it this Sunday for dinner, since I'll be in Missouri at Easter this year. Or maybe I'll just leave it here and let the chef-in-training (Jon) do it up right with all the trimmings, at Easter.

What Easter traditions do you have now, Steve?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 01:20 pm

Karenin wrote:What Easter traditions do you have now, Steve?
The kids poke me in the sides with sharp sticks then lock me in a stone cave for 3 days.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 01:22 pm

Karenins_SuperSon wrote:
Karenin wrote:What Easter traditions do you have now, Steve?
The kids poke me in the sides with sharp sticks then lock me in a stone cave for 3 days.

That was so good that I had to share it with the office. They all quite enjoyed it. Good job! :)

Return to “Recipes”