Canning/Preserves

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Canning/Preserves

Postby KMD » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 09:40 am

I was just over at Adhis' blog, and she had a post on there all about canning peaches. And it got me to thinking about my mom's yummy strawberry preserves, and homemade apple butter, Oh and these cucumber rings she'd make out of HUGE cucumbers, that she told people were "cinnamon apple rings", and the like. So, everybody share recipes for what you like to "store up" for the winter. This is the perfect time to start thinking about it and getting ready.

I'll poke my mom for some of her recipes, especially that strawberry preserves one. Mostly because it's a "freezer jelly", so you don't even have to "can it", you just make it up and freeze it, and defrost when you're ready for more fresh strawberry preserves for your biscuits. Yum, Yum!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

The Don

Postby The Don » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 07:54 am

Freezer jam is very easy to do. You should be able to find a recipe online or in the boxes of pectin you get to make the jam with. (That reminds me were just about out of last year's batch.)
I like traffic lights.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 09:21 am

Freezer jam always tastes fresher IMHO. The fruit doesn't cook the way it does with traditional jams so it looks more like the original fruit.

Strawberries are just starting to come on here now so I need to go get me a flat...

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:44 pm

I just made some the other day. So easy and delicious. We have this awesome you pick farm, $1 a pound!

Return to “Recipes”