Ding Dong cake

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Ding Dong cake

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 30 May, 2009 01:55 pm

I'm supposed to make a chocolate cake for a birthday at work. She just wants chocolate on chocolate, which is my specialty, but we also know she loves Ding Dongs, so I've been asked to make it look like a Ding Dong. I'm thinking I'll cut out some of the middle and put in either whipped cream or a cream cheese filling, then frost it with my regular chocolate frosting, and pour a ganache over the top to make it shiny. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 30 May, 2009 09:46 pm

Do they still wrap each Ding Dong in silver foil, or do they put it in a clear plastic thingie now? I was trying to come up with something that would give it the authentic look of a huge Ding Dong right out of the box...

OR...you could just give her a few boxes of actual Ding Dongs and save yourself all the work and cleanup. :wink:
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 30 May, 2009 11:16 pm

Yeah, but what fun would that be?

I think they do still wrap them in foil, but I'm afraid it will get stuck on the frosting. I'll probably put foil under the cake and bring the edges up and wrap it loosely.

I've never made a ganache, either, so I'm not sure how I'll do that. I guess I'll look for a recipe online somewhere.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Sat 30 May, 2009 11:20 pm

Why not make a cake out of ding dongs?

Just paste them together with icing, like a brick structure in the shape of a ding-dong.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 31 May, 2009 11:40 am

I considered that idea too, Joe, but with all the unwrapping, stacking, construction, mixing of chocolate mortar, etc., that's a heck of a lot of work...and the poor woman would STILL end up with nasty Ding-Dongs instead of a homemade Momma Snider cake.

Plus it would probably cost a lot more. It would be a good plan for someone who isn't a great baker and who wants an easy birthday cake idea for a kids' party, though, especially if cost isn't a factor.

That's my take on it, anyhow.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 31 May, 2009 01:12 pm

That's it exactly, KareNin.

Does anyone have any ideas for the filling? I know I've seen what was supposed to be actual Hostess cream filling, but I don't believe it, because I think it was just shortening and sugar. Yuck.

kread

Postby kread » Sun 31 May, 2009 09:23 pm

I'd make a pastry cream and mix it half and half with real whipped cream. I think it would be a lot tastier than the hostess cream filling and nice with the chocolate.
Always think outside the box. There is nothing interesting in the box.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 07:32 am

I used to do an almond torte, it was 4 layers, and the cream in between the layers were 1 tub of whipped cream, whipped even more with 1 cup of powdered sugar, and a tsp of almond extract. But, if you sub. vanilla for the almond, that would probably be closer to what you want.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 09:31 am

Momma Snider wrote:Yeah, but what fun would that be?

I think they do still wrap them in foil, but I'm afraid it will get stuck on the frosting. I'll probably put foil under the cake and bring the edges up and wrap it loosely.

I've never made a ganache, either, so I'm not sure how I'll do that. I guess I'll look for a recipe online somewhere.

Momma, making ganache is extraordinarily easy for something that ends up tasting so very very good. Here is Alton Brown's ganache recipe, which results in a rich, shiny, delicious batch of awesome.

While the idea of filling the middle of the cake with cream a la real ding dongs sounds cool, I would pay special attention to the structural integrity of the filling. After all, there is a lot more cake to support in a large-sized cake than there is in a little bitty ding dong. You wouldn't want the middle to cave into the cream-filling cavity, after all. So whatever cream you do choose, make sure it isn't one that will deflate or compact too easily.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 09:44 am

AdamOndi wrote:While the idea of filling the middle of the cake with cream a la real ding dongs sounds cool, I would pay special attention to the structural integrity of the filling. After all, there is a lot more cake to support in a large-sized cake than there is in a little bitty ding dong. You wouldn't want the middle to cave into the cream-filling cavity, after all. So whatever cream you do choose, make sure it isn't one that will deflate or compact too easily.

I would recommend layering the cake and putting the cream between layers. So it won't be exactly like a Ding Dong, but it will still look like it on the outside and you won't have to worry about it caving in.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 11:39 am

For some reason I'm seeing something marshmallow-creme-like as the filling. FWIW.

Return to “Recipes”