Peach ice cream

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Re: Peach ice cream

Postby KMD » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 01:45 pm

Butterscotch ice cream

2 cups half and half
2 cups whipping cream
6 egg yolks
9 oz sugar
1 tsp butterscotch extract

optionals:
butterscotch chips or butterscotch topping

Same basic recipe as the butter pecan. Put the half and half and whipping cream on the stove, medium heat, until it's almost ready to simmer. While that's working, whip the egg yolks until they lighten in color, then slowly add the sugar. Temper the egg and sugar mixture with a little of the cream, and once it's loose, add it all back into the pot of cream, and let that reach 175 degrees. Take it off the stove, let it cool for an hour, then add the butterscotch flavoring. Then pop it in the fridge, let it mellow overnight.

The next day, churn for half the time. Then you can add either a cup of butterscotch chips, or drizzle in a cup of the butterscotch topping to make "ribbons" of the stuff in the ice cream. Finish churning, freeze, consume.

You guys already know, I had a devil of a time finding butterscotch extract. But I ended up ordering it off Amazon, and it really made this ice cream taste fantastic!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 11:01 am

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 12:34 pm

That really, really looks good!

KMD

Postby KMD » Sun 25 May, 2014 08:14 pm

Just posting to say, I made the key lime pie ice cream sandwiches today, and they were simple to make, and excellent in flavor!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 22 Jun, 2014 09:37 pm

Just posting to say... We now have an ice cream machine. We ordered it on Friday afternoon. It arrived 22 hours later. :)

The ice cream in Sri Lanka is beautiful - provided you buy Elephant House or Cargills. Other brands are... not so good. But those two brands are fantastic. So in Sri Lanka, I would never bother with making my own ice cream.

Ice cream in Singapore and Malaysia, however has been disappointing. Among the more "normal" flavours (seriously, you can get kidney bean, pandan, green tea, durian, and so on), they tend to not be sweet enough or too chalky or just really not that good at all. We finally found one brand we like, but the grocery store in JB has freezer problems. We received one container that had been thawed and refrozen multiple times and was gross and gummy and ew. We've received other frozen products that had similar problems, so our faith in their ice cream being good is gone. So. Ice cream machine it is.

Now to get my hands on some ice cream-suitable fruit. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 04:28 am

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes. I have found making my own ice cream has turned me into an ice cream snob, and I will not settle for sub-par ice cream now. I never buy it in the store, and will pass if it's offered at a kid's birthday party. Definitely try the key lime ice cream, it is so good, and I don't even like lime!

General question: What is the difference between a sherbet and a sorbet? And does anyone have any good recipes for either?

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 06:35 am

I don't know about sherbet, although I thought that was a drink from the Middle East. Sorbet is fruit juice, sugar, and water. Like lemon sorbet - 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar. That seems to be a fairly standard lemon sorbet recipe, but we found the flavour too strong - I need to dilute it.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 09:00 am

Turns out sorbet has no dairy at all, but sherbet can. Since I am lactose intolerant, looks like I'm going to want to stick to sorbets.

That lemon sorbet sounds good, I am going to have to try that. And I've been wanting to try watermelon sorbet too. Mmmm!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 06:31 pm

That lemon sorbet *is* really good. Too strong to have very much of it, but oh my, so yummy! It takes around 8 lemons to make a cup of lemon juice.

If calamansi limes weren't so small, I'd make a calamansi lime sorbet. But I'd have to juice 20 or so just for a cup of juice. What a pain. But calamansi tastes soooooo good!

I actually bought a watermelon specifically to make into sorbet. I love watermelon anyway, but having it frozen? In the heat that we have going on? Oh yeah, baby! :)
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 06:48 pm

New 1 ingredient recipe.

Minute Maid Watermelon Juice

Put 3 cuts in your ice cream maker, churn for 15 minutes, make watermelon slushies!

i just made this up and tried it and so good!

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 24 Jun, 2015 08:35 am

No fair making me look at recipes right after making me think I should be doing something of a diety nature. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 24 Jun, 2015 06:50 pm

I thought the same thing, SDR! But a watermelon slushie should be okay.

Return to “Recipes”