Peach ice cream

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Peach ice cream

Postby KMD » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 07:59 am

I got an ice cream maker a year or so ago, and I absolutely love it. Actually, it's an attachment for my Kitchen Aid. I've been doing a lot of the Good Eats ice creams, and they are great. But I got a request for peach ice cream, and son of a gun I don't think Alton's ever done that one. I remember as a kid, being at my aunt Margaret's house in the country in the summertime, turning the hand crank on an old, old ice cream churn and making some of the finest peach ice cream ever. But, sadly aunt Margaret passed away several years ago, and no one has this recipe. So, I'm turning to you, trusty Village of Cooking Nerds. I know I could just search the internet, but I want a tried and true recipe, from someone who's made it themselves and can vouch for it and say to me "KMD, this is the BEST peach ice cream you are ever going to eat."

So, who is ready to step up to that challenge? Anyone?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 08:39 am

Hmmmm.... I've never made peach ice cream myself, but you could do what the best ice cream shops do with custom flavors. Make the ice cream base (essentially Alton's vanilla recipe, except without as much vanilla) and then add fresh peach puree until the desired level of peachiness is attained. Churn as usual.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 10:13 am

We've made Alton's Serious Vanilla Ice Cream before, and the recipe calls for substituting 2 Tbs of the sugar with 2 Tbs of peach preserves (not jelly). It's a nice mixture of vanilla and peach flavors, which I found to be quite yummy, but it's not exactly peach ice cream, which is what you're looking for. You might be able to mess around with the ratios of sugar and peach preserves and use less vanilla to make it more peachy.

Now I want homemade ice cream...
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:21 am

I just used that vanilla base a few weeks ago, but instead of the peach preserves I used strawberry, strawberry extract in place of the vanilla, and then fresh strawberries about half way through the churning process. And it turned out OK. I wasn't blown away by it, like I really wanted to be. Then again, I also substituted Splenda for the sugar, because the person I was making it for is a diabetic. And well, that makes a huge difference in ice cream. Different texture. It sets up faster (which I did NOT expect) and when you put it in the freezer to freeze, it Really, Really freezes. I had to microwave the container in 10 sec. increments until I could get it to scoop out. But the diabetics loved it. I was probably going to do this for the peach, I just thought I'd see if anyone had a recipe that was all "YES, YOU MUST TRY THIS NOW!"

lisapants, if you want some awesomely good ice cream, use Alton's fruity oil recipe with walnut oil, and add some maple flavoring. I'm telling you, best ice cream I've had, like EVER. Now I'm in the hunt for pecan oil, to make my own butter pecan. Mmmm!

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 09:33 pm

Mmmm, that does sound good. I think we might even have some walnut oil. Now, if only I had some cream and everything else I need to make it...
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 06:53 am

It is super good lisapants, you should give it a try!

OK, so the ice cream is churning right now. I did a little bit of improv there on the recipe. Here's how it went down.

The base:
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp peach glaze (like strawberry glaze that you get to make strawberry shortcake, but in peach form. ie was out of peach preserves)
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 tsp peach extract

The mix-in:
3 med. peaches, skinned and cut into tiny bits.
1/4 cup sugar
drizzle of water

Combine all the ingredients in the base, except the extract into a large saucepan, place over medium heat. Stir occasionally until it reaches 170 degrees. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl with a lid and let it cool.

While the base is cooking, I put everything for the mix-in in a small pot, also on medium heat, and let it cook until the peaches got soft, then I took a potato masher to it, until the peaches were a little more mushy, but still lumpy. Remove from heat, put into a container with a lid.

Once the base is cooled, add the peach extract, lid up both bowls and refridgerate overnight. The next day, put the base in your ice cream maker, start churning. About halfway through the process, I added the peach mix-in. Trying to mostly get the lumps, not any residual juices.

I'm thinking next time I might leave out the vanilla bean. I was hoping it would just be a nice flavor in the background, but instead I'm afraid it's overpowering the peachiness. Peach extract is not only a) hard to find, but also b) very weak smelling/tasting.

Just about finished churning, and yes, it's good, but not GREAT. The vanilla was too much. Needs more peachiness. But incredibly nice texture, very creamy. All in all, not a bad first attempt. Next time, there must be peach preserves, and no vanilla bean! Live and learn (and make better ice cream)!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 07:29 am

KMD, keep us up to date on this, please. Also, do you have a quick link to what you are using with your KitchenAid mixer?
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 11:37 am

WiseNLucky wrote:KMD, keep us up to date on this, please. Also, do you have a quick link to what you are using with your KitchenAid mixer?

KitchenAid makes an ice cream maker kit that includes a bowl that goes in the freezer and also a churning attachment that goes right where your whisk or paddle attachment would go. And then the mixer runs like normal and churns it all up.

Here is a link to the item description on the KitchenAid site. You can buy them from just about anywhere, including Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

We don't have one of these, so I can't vouch for how well it works. I am sure KMD could, though. We went the slightly cheaper route and bought a Cuisinart standalone ice cream maker that works pretty well, too. Whatever churns your cream, eh?
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 05:46 pm

Absolutely. :D That's the one I'm using. And I'm loving it.

I just tried the peach again, after it's chilled in the freezer all day. It's still a little too vanilla-y, but also incredibly good. The texture is seriously amazing. Maple walnut will soon follow. I've got friends coming over next weekend, I'm making these 2 flavors up in advance in preparation for the party ahead. :D

I'm not even sure why I wanted the ice cream maker in the first place. I'm lactose intolerant, and have very cold sensitive teeth. Ice cream is not my friend. Oh yeah, now I remember why. My husband, who loves both ice cream and chocolate, was complaining that regular chocolate ice cream isn't "chocolatey" enough. We started finding a dark chocolate ice cream made by Godiva's, but you could only get it in really small sizes, and it was really expensive. Then our store stopped carrying it. So I wanted to try my hand at making some. My first chocolate batch I used Hershey's Dark Chocolate cocoa powder, and it turned about amazingly crazy good. And pretty much every batch I've made since then has been better than what I could buy in the store, even when I thought it wasn't all that good. So, it has well been worth the money.

steelem

Postby steelem » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 06:28 pm

Does anyone want to buy me one?
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 08:32 am

KMD wrote:I'm not even sure why I wanted the ice cream maker in the first place. I'm lactose intolerant, and have very cold sensitive teeth. Ice cream is not my friend.

Sacrilege! Ice cream is everyone's friend. I am also lactose intolerant, but I just get the lactase enzyme pills from Costco (generic version of Lactaid brand pills). I pop one of those right before I eat something with milk in it, and I am good to go for dairy.

Anyway, all this ice cream talk makes me want to whip up a batch of super chocolaty ice cream with Andes chips in it.

Side note: Who decided that "chocolaty" should be spelled that way, rather than "chocolatey?" Because it just looks weird without the "e" in there.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 09:23 am

AdamOndi wrote:
WiseNLucky wrote:KMD, keep us up to date on this, please. Also, do you have a quick link to what you are using with your KitchenAid mixer?

Here is a link to the item description on the KitchenAid site. You can buy them from just about anywhere, including Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

Ordered mine today!
WiseNLucky

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 12:06 pm

You will not regret that purchase, sir!

Alton's chocolate ice cream I've made this, it's awesome. Try to find Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa for the darkest, most decadent ice cream ever.

Alton's vanilla ice cream This is the one that I modified for peach in this thread. The texture comes out fantastic. And by using actual vanilla beans in the vanilla ice cream, you get just excellent vanilla-y flavor, not fake vanilla flavor.

Alton's mint chip ice cream This is really, really good, especially if you use the Andes mint chips, found in the baking aisle.

Alton's fruity oil ice cream This is the one that I used walnut oil as the "fruity oil" and added a bit of maple extract at the end of cooking, and it made the best maple walnut ice cream I've ever had. Downright amazing on hot apple pie, with a little caramel sauce.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 12:57 pm

I just had lunch and still my mouth watered a little bit reading that. I will wait and visit the recipes once the ice cream maker arrives.
WiseNLucky

The Don

Postby The Don » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 07:54 pm

I added the bowl to my Amazon wish list.
I like traffic lights.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:10 am

We have a Cuisnart Ice Cream maker, and it is fantastic. I made this blueberry ice cream using fresh blueberries we picked as a family last Saturday.

You cook the berries in sugar and water, let it sit for a while, put it in the food processor, strain it, chill it, add cream and lemon juice and then put it in the ice cream maker.

Exquisite, perfect, creamy blueberry ice cream.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:33 am

That sounds so good! And there's a farm around here where you pick your own blueberries that I've been wanting to go to, but didn't know what to do with all the blueberries we'd end up picking. Now I know! Thanks!

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:44 am

If fresh blueberries are plentiful, don't forget blueberry sorbet. In my opinion, the best flavor of the summer.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:07 am

I've not made any sorbets with this machine yet! How do I go about it?

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:51 am

Sorbet is basically frozen pureed fresh fruit. You blend in sugar, water, and lemon juice to keep it from becoming an icicle. Sorbet freezes in much the same way ice cream does.

Combine 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 cup of lemon juice in a saucepan. Heat them on medium heat, stirring, just until all the granules have dissolved (not anywhere close to boiling!). Put the pan in the refrigerator for at least an hour to cool.

Take 1 pint of blueberries and approximately 1/3 of cooled syrup and puree it all in a blender until really smooth, at least 2 minutes. I like the little pulpy bits, but if you don't you can pour the puree through several thicknesses of cheesecloth and into a bowl, though this will add significant time to the process. Repeat this process until you've pureed/strained/not strained all three pints of blueberries.

Take the mixture and put it into your ice cream freezer. Run the freezer the way you normally would. Once churned, store in regular freezer.

If you want to go really fancy: take the frozen blueberry sorbet out of the freezer bowl and put it in a freezer-going tupperware and freeze. Now, make a tart lemon sorbet in the ice cream freezer and, when you serve, scoop the sorbets with a melon baller and stack a mixture of both sorbets in a serving glass.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup lemon juice

Cook sugar and water the same way you did above. Cool the syrup, then add the lemon juice. Churn in the freezer like you did before.

Return to “Recipes”