Peach ice cream

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 08:10 am

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:We have a Cuisnart Ice Cream maker, and it is fantastic. I made this blueberry ice cream using fresh blueberries we picked as a family last Saturday.

You cook the berries in sugar and water, let it sit for a while, put it in the food processor, strain it, chill it, add cream and lemon juice and then put it in the ice cream maker.

Exquisite, perfect, creamy blueberry ice cream.

Can you share approximate amounts of each?
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 01:02 pm

WiseNLucky, did your ice cream maker arrive? Have you used it yet? What did you think?

My son's birthday party is coming up, and there is about to be a major party at my house, so I started the ice cream making in advance, so I have enough time to make up plenty. Last night I churned a batch of chocolate. Went a little something like this...

2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
1/3 cup Hershey dark chocolate cocoa
6 eggs yolks
9 oz. sugar
tsp. vanilla

In a pot, combine 1 cup of the whipping cream and the cocoa, on med. heat. Use a whisk and mix that up until all the chocolate has dissolved. Then add the other cup of whipping cream and the cup of milk. Continue to cook until it just starts to simmer, then remove from heat. In the mixer, beat together the 6 egg yolks until they lighten in color. Then, while still beating, and slowly add the sugar. Once that's all incorporated, temper the cream mixture in, a little at a time. When it's nice and loose and very chocolatey colored, add the whole thing back to the rest of the cream, put it back on the heat and cook it a little more. You're looking for 170-175 degrees by candy thermometer, or just take a spoon, dip it in and lift it out, and drag your finger along the back of the spoon. If the custard doesn't flow back in to fill the space, but instead stays where it is, you're done. Remove from the heat, let it sit on your counter about an hour, then add the tsp. of vanilla. Then, put it in the fridge overnight. Next day, put it in your churn. Follow your churn's manufacturer's instructions, which in my case means, churn it for a half hour. Spoon out chocolatey goodness into an airtight freezer container, put a piece of plastic wrap on the top, to keep out the nasty flavors, freeze. Later, scoop out the best chocolate ice cream you've ever had.

I'll end up making this exact recipe again later this week, except substitute Splenda for the sugar. The texture won't be quite as good, and it's a little harder to scoop, but the flavor will be just as awesome. I find nuking the container in 10 sec. increments helps loosen it up.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 04 May, 2010 08:24 am

I'm bumping this to try and encourage WnL to break out his KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment and give it a try! Also because I perfected strawberry ice cream. Perfect for summer!

2 cups half-and-half
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1 pint strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters

Directions
Combine half and half, cream and sugar in a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to 170 degrees F. While that's coming to temp, puree the pint of strawberries until smooth. Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool slightly. Pour in strawberries, through a strainer or cheese cloth to get out the seeds. Pour entire mixture into lidded container and refrigerate mixture overnight to mellow flavors and texture.

Put the mixture in the churn, and churn it up according to unit's instructions. Once the volume has increased by 1/2 to 3/4 times, and reached a soft serve consistency, (for me, that's about 30 minutes) spoon the mixture back into a lidded container and harden in the freezer at least 1 hour before serving.

*Lifted and modified from the Food Network's website

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 04 May, 2010 12:28 pm

We need to break out our ice cream maker, too, pretty soon. I think I will use the strawberry ice cream recipe. Mmmmmmmmmm.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 05 May, 2010 06:27 am

KMD wrote:I'm bumping this to try and encourage WnL to break out his KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment and give it a try!

The boys complained just last night that I never made them some promised ice cream. I'll go stick the thing in the freezer right now. We have strawberries in the fridge and heavy cream (bought it to make Julia Child's potato soup) so I just need half-and-half. What happens if you use all cream instead, or 2 cups cream and 1 cup milk? Is half-and-half really just that?
WiseNLucky

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 05 May, 2010 07:17 am

Half and half is literally half heavy cream and half whole milk. So, if you wanted to make 2 cups of half and half, you would need 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of milk. So, yeah, for that recipe, you would simply need 2 cups of cream and 1 cup of milk.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 05 May, 2010 09:25 am

Honestly, I just use whatever I've got in the fridge. There's almost always some heavy cream and whole milk, but never half and half, so I just use whole milk instead.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 05 May, 2010 10:00 am

Regular canned milk works in most recipes in place of cream or whole milk.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 12 May, 2010 08:47 am

KMD wrote:I'm bumping this to try and encourage WnL to break out his KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment and give it a try! Also because I perfected strawberry ice cream.

The flavor was perfect, but my brew had too much fat (something I thought was an impossibility before I tried it). I used 2 cups heavy cream and 1 cup 1% milk. My tongue and mouth felt like it was coated with something after I ate some ice cream. Also, the ice cream only churned for about 10 minutes after which the entire contents of the churn just spun around and around. I don't know if that was also a function of high fat content, or if my freezer just got the churn too cold. The flavor was so good, though, that I look forward to trying again.

The strawberry recipe didn't have any eggs in it. I don't know if that was an oversight because all the other recipes I saw had eggs in them.
WiseNLucky

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 12 May, 2010 09:25 am

No, not an oversight. That's Alton Brown's vanilla ice cream base, with strawberries added. I think technically if it has eggs in it, it's a frozen custard, not that it really matters. The texture does come out differently than one with eggs, but usually in a very good way. Very smooth and creamy. I don't think you got too much fat, I think with that 1% milk you got too little fat and too much water. It's a lot harder to get something with that much water in it to freeze smoothly, instead of just going to ice. And I didn't think you could get your churn too cold, I store mine in my freezer instead of a cabinet, so it's ready whenever I am.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 13 May, 2010 07:30 am

So, do you think the too-strong cream taste/texture was because it didn't churn enough?

Anyway, I'll get some half and half and try it just as written. The flavor otherwise was too good to not try again! Yummy strawberry.
WiseNLucky

KMD

Re: Peach ice cream

Postby KMD » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 02:45 pm

Just had to add this new ice cream recipe, with only one ingredient.

Eggnog

Open container of eggnog. Pour into your ice cream maker and churn per manufacture's specifications. Consume amazing eggnog ice cream.

I don't even like eggnog that much, and even I thought this was fantastic!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 03:34 pm

I have some eggnog! I bought it because Eric is here and he likes it. I like it, too, but no one else has ever even tried it, as far as I know, so I don't buy it because I don't want to drink it all myself.

Now I'm just lacking an ice cream maker.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 04:20 pm

Adam got some eggnog last week and as he was pouring it into cups for us, he said, "I bet we could just pour this straight into the ice cream maker and get eggnog ice cream." Glad to know it works! Maybe we'll have to try it soon.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 21 Dec, 2012 02:03 pm

Great idea. Adam surprises me sometimes, with his apparent innate culinary sense, of what works and what doesn't. I suspect part of that is 'cause he's smart in science=y things, like chemistry.

<sigh> I wish there was some way I could have everyone in The Village come over for a giant pot-luck, bring-your-own-music, kids, pets, and prepare-to-stay-for-several-days-Christmas Party!!!

Maybe that's sorta what it will be like in the next world.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Fri 21 Dec, 2012 05:43 pm

Man, I wish we could come right now. I really need a break and would LOVE to hang out with everyone from The Village at Auntie K's house. And if I could only sleep uninterrupted for about 8-10 hours, I might be better company, too. I should probably put this in the whining thread. I'm feeling very whiny and frustrated today.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:06 am

Bumping this again, since it's getting warm out there, and a girl's thoughts turn to ice cream!

When I was a kid, my dad and I used to go out and get butter pecan ice cream as a little "treat" when we would be sent out to run errands. Just the two of us. But, I haven't had it since I was, oh, probably 18 and still living at home. I've been wanting to make it and just modify Alton's "fruity oil" recipe, using pecan oil. But it is crazy hard to find pecan oil! I finally broke down and ordered some off Amazon, it's being shipped to my house now. And then, at the grocery store this weekend, I grabbed a can of sweetened condensed milk, and there on the back is a recipe for butter pecan ice cream! So, I'm thinking about making both recipes, and seeing which one is better. I just gotta find someone who will eat that much butter pecan! When I know which is the best, I'll post the recipe on here.

Oh, and also? We had butterscotch ice cream about a month ago at a local ice cream shop, and my son loved it. But it was a special thing, not always on their menu, so now my son wants me to make it at home for him. Again, do you know how hard it is to find butterscotch extract?? Amazon to the rescue again!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:42 pm

My guess would be the one with sweetened condensed milk would be the best, but that's just because I love that stuff. Butterscotch ice cream sounds so good!~ I'd think you could do it with a regular vanilla recipe and lots of butterscotch topping mixed in, but if they've got butterscotch extract, so much the better!

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 12:42 pm

Somehow I just knew you would be all for the one with the sweetened condensed milk! But the other recipe comes Alton approved! Well, I'm going to try both, and let the chips fall where they may. Mmmm! Butterscotch chips in the butterscotch ice cream...

My pecan oil arrived today, so I can get started on the first batch hopefully this weekend. And now that I have pecan oil, I think I'm going to have to also use that in a vinagrette on a nice salad... Mmmm! Hang on, what am I doing talking about healthy food in a thread about ice cream!

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 09:02 am

Update: Sorry Momma, but after reading the recipe with the sweetened condensed milk, I just couldn't bring myself to make it. I couldn't even bring myself to call it "ice cream". The farthest I'd go is "frozen treat". Also, maple extract? What the heck??? But, if you don't have an ice cream maker, maybe it'll be more interesting to you.

2 cups heavy cream
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp maple extract

Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks in a large bowl. Combine condensed milk, pecans, butter and maple extract in a large bowl. Fold into whipped cream.

Pour into a 9x5 inch loaf pan or a 2 qt. container, cover. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm.

**** Different Recipe - Alteration of Alton Brown's Fruity Oil ice cream recipe ****

So, the one I did make went like this:

2 1/2 cups 2% milk (because that's what I had in my fridge)
1 1/2 cup heavy cream (added the 1/2 cup to make up for the 2% milk)
6 large egg yolks
9 ounces granulated sugar
1 tsp butter extract or butter flavoring
1/2 cup pecan oil
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Place the milk and heavy cream into a medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from heat.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Slowly add the pecan oil while whisking thoroughly. Temper the cream mixture into the egg mixture by whisking in small amounts, approximately 1 tablespoon at a time, until about a 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder of the cream and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Allow to sit uncovered until it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid (about an hour). Add the butter extract, stir in. Cover and store in fridge for at least 4 hours, usually I leave it overnight.

Pour into an ice cream maker and process for half the time of your manufacturer's directions, for me that's 15 minutes. Add in the chopped pecans, then let it run the rest of the time. Freeze. Consume.

It was fantastic! I just loved it, so did my Dad, which was the real test. I did learn one thing though. The reason it is So Hard to find pecan oil (I ended up having to buy it off Amazon, and paying more than I really wanted to) is, pecan oil really has very little pecan smell or taste. Walnut oil is very strong, and it really adds to the flavor of maple walnut ice cream. But pecan oil just kind of disappeared into this recipe, taste-wise. So yeah, next time, I won't waste the money, I'll just use the chopped nuts for the pecan flavor.

Return to “Recipes”