BBQ Pulled Pork

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

AdamOndi

BBQ Pulled Pork

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 25 Jun, 2009 11:33 am

Hey all. I decided to get a little bit adventurous this year for the Fourth of July, and I am planning to smoke a pork butt roast which will eventually turn into BBQ pulled pork (after 9 or 10 hours smoking, anyway). I have been looking at some recipes, and I am drawn to Alton Brown's recipe, of course. However, I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with this type of thing and had any recommendations. Alternate recipes, best wood chips to use for the smoking part, etc. Please feel free to share.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

The Don

Postby The Don » Thu 25 Jun, 2009 01:59 pm

I've never smoked one myself but as far as smoked pork goes I prefer the flavor of hickory smoke.
I like traffic lights.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Thu 25 Jun, 2009 02:54 pm

If you like vinegar, Carolina-style pulled pork is the bomb!

Once you've slow-cooked and shredded your pork, toss it with this sauce (reserving some for the table, of course)

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar (light is fine, or dark for a more molasses-y flavor)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

===================
Combine in a saucepan and heat just to the point that the brown sugar and salt are well-dissoved. It's best to make this a day in advance so the flavors really have a chance to combine. Store in refrigerator but allow the sauce to come back up to room temperature before tossing with your pulled pork. Toss just before serving.

There's also a mustard-based Carolina-style recipe that's out there; It's not my fave. I like the vinegar-based recipe better.

===================

For true Carolina-style, you'd eat this on buns with fresh cole slaw and chopped onion available as toppings. I know what you're thinking, but it really works out well.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:58 am

I am just here to second deepdish's vinegar based Carolina-style BBQ. Before living in NC, I thought BBQ was just pulled meat, drowned in Kraft BBQ sauce. Now I know the truth. The amazing, lick-your-fingers/plate-clean truth. It has ruined me for all other forms of BBQ. I can have no other.

I've got a great recipe at home for coleslaw, I'll post it later. MMmm!

edited to add:

1/4 cup mayonaise (Duke's is the Southern Choice, but Hellman's works pretty good if you ask me...)
1/4 buttermilk or sour cream (I tend to use buttermilk)
1/4 sugar
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 tsp vinegar (don't get fancy here. White or apple cider. I tried it with a balsamic, and it was a disaster)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cabbage (You can shred up a head of cabbage yourself, or take the easy route and buy pre-shredded cole slaw mix, over where the bagged salads are in your grocery store. )

Whisk together the wet ingredients until well mixed. Toss on shredded cabbage. Eat. It's better if you let it sit in the fridge for a bit first, let the flavors "marry" or whatever. But if you're in a hurry, just mix and eat, it'll be fine.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Return to “Recipes”