Blueberry recipes

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Blueberry recipes

Postby KMD » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:50 am

My sister told me the berries are ripe for the picking at Blueberry Hill, so I'm planning a trip there this weekend with the little guy. He does so love the blueberries. But I'm afraid we're going to come home with more than I know what to do with. So, besides freezing them for use later, and the blueberry sorbet and ice cream that Lowdoggy and deepdish mentioned over in the peach ice cream thread, what is everybody's favorite blueberry recipes? Post them please!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:46 am

I don't have recipes (that's not the way I roll ... HA!; I'm more into consumption than production). That being said, can't go wrong with pancakes and/or muffins. :)

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:42 am

Blueberry pie, of course. I'll try to post a recipe for a really good one (from James McNair, the one who brought us the fabulous cranberry orange pie) when I go home.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 12:14 pm

This is a recipe I've gotten from a blog I read for a blueberry kuchen. What is a kuchen anyway? Looks vaguely pie-like... but delicious.

Credit where credit is due...

Blueberry Kuchen
1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tbs sugar, Pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 Cup sugar, 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, 3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
Powdered sugar

Combine first 3 ingredients; cut in butter with pastry blender(we did it by hand) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle vinegar evenly over surface; stir with fork until all dry ingredients are moistened. Press pastry in bottom of 9" spring form pan and up 1" on the sides of pan. Combine 2 tablespoons flour, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon, mixing well. Stir in 2 cups blueberries; spread evenly over pastry. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining 1 cup berries evenly over top. Chill well before removing from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with mint sprig and fresh berries on the side. serves 6

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 01:38 pm

Kuchen is German for cake. Fruit topped cakes are not uncommon in Germany, but I never saw a blueberry one. It looks yummy!
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:46 pm

I read up a little bit more on the meaning of "kuchen" and it looks like the original German meaning is somewhat muddied, now. Apparently the word can refer to several different types of pastries, traditional cakes included. One in particular that was referenced in the article I read on Wikipedia sounded much like the blueberry kuchen recipe that KMD listed. To me, that sounds more like a blueberry tart than anything else, but I don't care. I loves me some blueberries, and a tart by any other name tastes as sweet.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:49 pm

Kuchen definintely means cake, but German cakes are quite different than American ones. In fact, German Chocolate cake is not German at all - I never saw anything like it.

It is quite common in Germany to have a thin cake layer with various fruits on top, but I never saw blueberry that way. Most common was plum, although I saw some peach, apricot and strawberry. Whether we would refer to that as a tart I have no way of knowing. I think of tart as Torte in German. I thought of tarts as somthing small, like an individual serving with a shell, whereas kuchen is comparatively large (like a cake) that needs to be sliced. Of course I saw both small and large Tortes in Germany.

Whatever it is, it looks good.
WiseNLucky

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:02 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:In fact, German Chocolate cake is not German at all - I never saw anything like it.

From Wikipedia:

Contrary to popular belief, this cake did not originate in Germany. Instead, the name derives from Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, which was created in 1852 by an Englishman named Samuel German for the Baker's Chocolate brand.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:59 pm

I wonder if Samuel German knew they were going to mess up his chocolate with coconut.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 06:04 am

Momma Snider wrote:I wonder if Samuel German knew they were going to perfect his chocolate with coconut.

There you go, Momma, all fixed!

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:14 am

KMD wrote:
Momma Snider wrote:I wonder if Samuel German knew they were going to perfect his chocolate with coconut.

Scott Dale Robison likes this.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:21 am

Ewww.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:09 am

KMD wrote:

WiseNLucky likes this.
WiseNLucky

Return to “Recipes”