Cake on a Stick

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Cake on a Stick

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 08:48 pm

I was going to call this Cake Balls, but that didn't sound right. Anyway, my boss brought these in today. You bake a cake as directed, then crumble it in a bowl and mix in a can of frosting. Let it cool, then roll it or scoop it into balls. Freeze them and then dip in melted chocolate. The ones I had used dipping chocolate, but I think melted chocolate chips would work, like I use for peanut butter balls.

I actually think it would be better with homemade frosting, too, because canned frosting has kind of a chemical taste to me. But it worked. Next time she's going to use white cake and strawberry frosting and white chocolate dip. I'm thinking spice cake and cream cheese frosting with white chocolate.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 02:20 pm

The best part... eet's ON A STEECK!!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:02 pm

I've made these before following the bakerella instructions, but they just aren't as good as some that I've had. The ones I've made using frosting and melting chocolate are too sweet for me. I've had some that are professionally made that are absolutely divine, but I can't figure out how they make them so that they're not so sugary.

Interesting that this appeared today because I just had another of the professionally-made ones today, and it reminded me about how badly I wanted to know how they are made so non-sugary. You get more of the cake filling effect in these. Any ideas?

Also, I tried it using strawberry cake mix, and I thought they were pretty good. Also, I think that melting chocolate bark is better than chocolate chips due to less sugaryness.

Edited to add: Bakerella calls them Cake Pops.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 09:07 am

This blew my mind, because I got a cake pan a few years ago, that's in the shape of like a fudgesicle? Think really shallow muffin pan, but with a differernt, elongated shape. And you're supposed to fill the well to the top with cake batter, and lay a stick on top of it and bake, and the cake will rise and bake around the stick, and then you have Cake on a Stick. Ta-Da! But I've never used it. Now that I have a cute little cake eater, I should! Or make these, they sound fantastic.

They kind of remind me of punchbowl cake. You take a yellow cake mix, bake it, then when it's cool you crumble it, make a layer in the bottom of a punchbowl, then do a layer of french vanilla pudding, then a layer of sliced strawberries, and repeat all the way up the bowl. Ending with the pudding, and a few lovely strawberries on top. Then to serve, you just scoop out big globs of it. Looks lovely in the bowl, crazy mess to eat. Tastes Amazing!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:12 pm

I guess I forgot the part where you poke a stick in them! The ones I ate were made without the sticks. I was thinking I could bring home some of the sticks we use to check for lice and use them...

I really think homemade frosting would be less sweet. They were quite overpowering with their sweetness, and I like sweet. I'm going to have to try it, anyway.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:04 pm

I need more detail, on the " crumble it in a bowl and mix in a can of frosting. Let it cool, then roll it or scoop it into balls. Freeze them and then dip in melted chocolate" directions.

Like, how vigorously are you supposed to crumble the cake? So it's still in fairly big pieces, or finely crumbled? And how do you mix the frosting in with it, and not end up with a nasty sort of cake-and-frosting pat

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 09:11 pm

Well, it pretty much is an overly sweet glob. You crumble it up really good, and when you mix in the frosting I suspect it is pretty gooey. Then you use a cookie scoop to make the balls, except my boss just shaped them with her hands. You do have to freeze them for a while afterwards, or they'd just dissolve in the dip. But Rita said she only froze them for about 45 minutes, whereas some of the recipes say to freeze them for up to 7 hours.

One thing, you definitely don't want to make them too big. Rita's were about as big as a small orange, and that might have been too big.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:44 am

Just reading your post made my head throb so hard my eyeballs nearly extruded from their sockets.

I think I must have hypoglycemia or something. Is that still a valid condition, like it was in the '80s? I can't stand overly sweet ANYTHING, and this definitely sounds like it qualifies.

Thank you for clarifying the process, Laurie. But I believe I'll pass on the consumption. I'll remain loyal to Jos

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:53 pm

KareNin wrote:Just reading your post made my head throb so hard my eyeballs nearly extruded from their sockets.

I think I must have hypoglycemia or something. Is that still a valid condition, like it was in the '80s? I can't stand overly sweet ANYTHING, and this definitely sounds like it qualifies.

Thank you for clarifying the process, Laurie. But I believe I'll pass on the consumption. I'll remain loyal to Jos
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:46 pm

KareNin wrote:Just reading your post made my head throb so hard my eyeballs nearly extruded from their sockets.

I love sweets, but I've heard about these 'cake balls' quite a bit and they still have not interested me enough to try them. Maybe with homemade frosting I'd consider it . . . but mostly they just sound gross to me.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Card

Postby Card » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:23 pm

I swear to you by the power of Grayskull or something that these cake pops are actually really, really good (in the not-so-sweet form). One can curb the sweetness by melting white (chocolate?) almond bark for dipping instead of chocolate chips. I did the chocolate chips once and almost died from sugar toxicity. I am making this wording up as I go along. Some people really like the sugar.

But, anyway, let's put our thinking caps together and figure out how to not make the inside so sugary. I think that MommaS is right about the homemade frosting. One can control the sweetness better that way, I would think. I guess my issue is that I have rarely met an icing that is not overly sweet, so I am stumped. Maybe be heavy on the butter and light on the sugar?

I have sensitive teeth, too, and I have learned to hate caramel and really cold stuff. I have been checked out, and other than prescribing special toothpaste for me, there's not much they can do. I just avoid caramel and cold because I think getting prescription toothpaste for it is lame.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:25 pm

One way to make the inside not so sugary is to replace "sugar" with "sand" or "dirt". Much less sugary.

Card

Postby Card » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:34 pm

SDR wrote:One way to make the inside not so sugary is to replace "sugar" with "sand" or "dirt". Much less sugary.

Punk.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm

Totally off-topic, but Card, I just learned that toothpaste for sensitive teeth is good as long as you don't buy one that is also supposed to have tartar control in it. Apparently the tartar control cancels out the sensitive ingredient.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 11:32 pm

And don't use any tooth-whitening stuff, either. That makes your teeth really sensitive. You probably already knew that. I have an acquaintance who bleaches her teeth so much they almost have a blue tint. Plus she over-tans. Looks horrible, and I bet she has really sensitive teeth.

What if you mixed up the crumbled cake bits with flavored yogurt instead of frosting? Then scoop into balls, freeze, and coat with whatever?

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:34 pm

Or cool whip.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:45 pm

I don't know for sure, but I think you need the stickiness of the frosting. I just realized that I had these before, at a wedding reception about a month ago, only they were much smaller, more bite-sized. I thought they were some kind of truffle.

I'm going to make a batch for Lane's wedding open house, white cake with cream cheese. I think maybe I'd better practice ahead of time, though. I wish there was a cake/candy store nearby, so I could get some lemon and strawberry melting chips.

KMD

Postby KMD » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:38 pm

Sometimes you can find raspberry flavored chips at your regular grocery store baking aisle. If you can't find the ones you're looking for, melt a bag of white chips with about a third of a cup of whipping cream, and then add a tsp. of whatever flavoring you want. But you need that whipping cream (or some butter) in there to prevent seizing.

Those cake balls with cream cheese instead of icing sound really, really good.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm

THAT'S IT!! All that sugar overload feels like I'm going to have a seizure!!

Thanks, KoMoDo. (Those are really big periods.)

Card

Postby Card » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 11:07 pm

These are all really good suggestions. Thanks! I wonder if I could at least add yogurt to the icing to tame the sugar. I will report back after some experiments. Whipping cream is also a good suggestion.

Also, yeah, I just stick with regular toothpaste, generally.

And I have noticed tons of people who over-whiten. It's kind of a fad around my parts for people to have blue teeth. I am puzzled by the blueness all around. I guess that people just see different things.

Return to “Recipes”