Cake on a Stick

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 11:40 pm

Maybe you are mistaking blue tint from over whitening for blueberry pie aficionados. Or not.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm

I'm gonna say... "not."
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:40 am

I just realized that I didn't update with the variation I found: Oreo balls! You take a package of Oreos, scrape the filling out of about a third of them, crush them, and mix with a package of cream cheese. Freeze and then dip in white chocolate.

They're not too sweet, because of the cream cheese, and they still have a little crispiness from the Oreos, and they are awesome.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 05:54 pm

Momma, you must not post such tempting things!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:07 pm

The Oreo balls sound much more appealing to me than the cake balls did due to the toned-down sweetness aspect. Maybe we'll have to try some of those at some point.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:12 pm

I bought some Oreo Balls at a scout auction that one of the women in our ward made - they were delicious! Her recipe doesn't call for removing any of the filling, though, and she dips them in regular chocolate.

My favorite Oreos are the fudge-covered kind, except that I don't like them crunchy. I always bite off a corner and them dip them in milk until the insides are soggy. The Oreos Balls were just like that, only the insides were already soft without the sog!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Re: Cake on a Stick

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 08:59 am

Someone was selling Cake Pops here yesterday for $3 each, and besides being appalled at paying $3 for two bites of something, I decided eating one once a year or so is plenty. I really don't like the texture inside. But I made some Oreo balls a few weeks ago for my aunt, and I could eat those way more often. Cream cheese makes everything better.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 04:08 pm

I just found this recipe on FlyLady.net, or from a link from there. It looks really, really good, but I will probably never make them because I don't have a food processor, and I don't think I could get the graham cracker crumbs fine enough.

S'Mores Truffles

Prep time: 45 min Servings: 24 truffles
Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 2 cups (12 oz) milk chocolate chips
• 24 mini marshmallows
• 1 cup finely crushed graham crackers
Preparation
1. Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat; whisk in cream and bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Chill saucepan in refrigerator for 1 hour, or until chocolate is solid and able to be rolled.
2. Roll chocolate into 24 balls, stuffing a mini marshmallow into the center of each.*
3. Chill truffles a few minutes then roll in graham cracker crumbs. Chill for a few minutes more to solidify more.
4. *Tip: I found the easiest way to do this was to roll the chocolate into balls with cold, damp hands, then make a small dent in the ball with your thumb and place the marshmallow inside. Then, fold the ball of chocolate over the marshmallow and continue to roll in your hands until smooth across.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:09 am

Yummmmm, those sound good!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:28 pm

I completely forgot that I had posted this recipe for S'Mores Truffles. I still haven't tried them, because I don't keep heavy cream around the house, and they didn't have any at Walmart when I was there and thought about it. I bought the marshmallows, though, and I have the graham crackers, and I'm going to do it. I use evaporated milk in every recipe I've ever tried that called for heavy cream, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. So we'll see.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 04 Feb, 2013 12:19 pm

Okay, I made the S'Mores Truffles. First, they were incredibly messy, but it's possible I hadn't let the chocolate chill long enough. Anyway, I would suggest not worry about making them perfectly round, and forget the part about rolling them into balls and then inserting the marshmallow. Just scoop up a spoonful, slap on the marshmallow, and kind of roll it around until the marshmallow is covered. And then, after chilling those blobs for a while, I dropped about six at a time in a ziplock bag with the graham cracker crumbs. It took less than two full crackers' worth.

They are really tasty, I must say.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 08 Mar, 2013 01:56 pm

I found a recipe in a magazine for a cake where you make the frosting first, set some aside, and then mix the flour and eggs and stuff into the remainder. You bake it in a bundt pan and then just spread the frosting over the top after it's done. The frosting is made with cream cheese and a cup of butter. I'll let you know how it goes, but I think maybe it came to pass because of the Cake on a Stick craze.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 07:16 am

How did I not chime in on the truffles part of this thread!

I've been making truffles for years, and they do get extremely messy. But if you let the chocolate sit too long so it's hard, then the insides don't stay quite as creamy. So, I learned to use a really small disher for them. Like, a melon baller, but with a sweep to pop them out of there. Makes them perfectly round every time, and much less messy.

I found a recipe in an older Parents magazine with a chocolate cake, and homemade peanut butter icing, and then you decorate with peanuts on the side. I really need to make up a special occasion to make this!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 09:13 am

I had the perfect occasion to make a cake last night, but didn't think about it until I was going to bed. Rocky and I have known each other for 40 years!

I think the chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting sounds wonderful! I wouldn't want the peanuts, though. I'm funny that way. I like nuts by themselves, but not in or on something else.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:23 am

I wouldn't have thought twice about it either, but there's a local bakery near work, and our contractors have been getting us cupcakes from there lately. And the one I keep getting is a chocolate cupcake, with peanut butter frosting, with a mini peanut butter cup on the top. And it is delightful and delicious. I want that in my own home.

Sounds like my mom is having us all over to her house this Sunday for a birthday dinner for my brother-in-law and nephew. I think I should volunteer to bake this cake for that event, and let's see how it turns out. If it's good, I'll post the recipe.

[Edited to add] Oh that recipe was full of YES! That was a delicious cake. Here's the recipe.

1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Cream together softened butter and peanut butter. Then add the milk and vanilla extract until combined. Then slowly add the powdered sugar until it's all in there. Frost your cake or cupcakes, or just eat it out of the bowl with a spoon!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Return to “Recipes”