I'm Becoming a Girl - Part I - My Dream Kitchen

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:15 am

Sorry to come back to the point, but I've posted new pictures after one week into the remodel.

That link should work for those of you not on Facebook. Or not my friend.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:17 am

AdamOndi wrote:I looked at the pictures on Facebook last night, and it will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Your old kitchen looked a lot like a standard, cookie-cutter kitchen that often gets built in planned cookie-cutter communities. A lot like the kitchen in our old house in Washington. If I had my druthers there, I would have ripped out that kitchen and customized it, too.

So far, you are a party of one (at least who was willing to tell me). Mostly I'm getting emails telling me I'm a moron because the existing kitchen was great. To each his/her own, I say.

By the way, the grilling is going great!
WiseNLucky

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:13 pm

WiseGuy, I need to post some pictures of my completely pathetic kitchen, along with a list of all the irritating things that make it so frustrating to try to work in that room that don't even show up in the pictures. Then you might understand the viewpoint of people who called you a moron for changing it (although that DOES seem pretty rude, if these people are friends).

I would have been thrilled to have a kitchen even as large and nice as your old one that's been ripped out. But I can hardly wait to see the new one! I have to live vicariously through my friends, so it's exciting to see what all is available, and what you'll be working with after it's all done!

Also, I like cookies. And cookie cutters. Mister Grumpy Pants doesn't ever seem to like ANYTHING 100%. :roll: Except BabyLu, OndiPants and Lisapants.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:32 pm

I commented on one of your pictures that your old kitchen looked a lot like my kitchen, including where we keep our knives and jars of utensils. Yours was slightly bigger, though, and of course I have white appliances. Oh, and I only have a portable island that we bought at Big Lots. Cookie cutter it may be, but like KareNin, I like cookies! I really look forward to seeing what you end up with. It looks like it will be beautiful.

It's funny, our countertops were something we were going to change immediately when we moved in. The house was new, and we got to choose the flooring (hence my forest green carpet) but the cabinets and counters were already in. Now I'm used to the counters and cabinets, but hope to someday replace them.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:39 pm

KareNin wrote:Then you might understand the viewpoint of people who called you a moron for changing it (although that DOES seem pretty rude, if these people are friends).

These people are more family than friends, although some are friends. And the word "moron" may have been my interpretation, as opposed to an actual word they may have used. I do remember at least one person used the word "stupid" though. Most people resorted to the tried and true "crazy."

Momma Snider wrote:I only have a portable island that we bought at Big Lots. . . . It's funny, our countertops were something we were going to change immediately when we moved in.

We had a portable island in our house in Florida and loved it. Now, though, I couldn't live without the power outlets in the fixed island.

When we bought this house, we were going to change our countertops right away, too. The house was actually pretty decent, and then there were these formica countertops. I went back to the home purchasing tool we used to make our buying decision and was reminded that the house had a very low kitchen score. Now I'm glad we didn't change the countertops right away since we ended up changing everything.
WiseNLucky

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:45 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:Sorry to come back to the point, but I've posted new pictures after one week into the remodel.

Wow, I'm so excited for you!! Have you decided what kind of counter tops you're getting? And what about the back-splash? I'm a huge fan of subway tiles, or those tiny square glass tiles.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:45 pm

lilcis wrote:Wow, I'm so excited for you!! Have you decided what kind of counter tops you're getting? And what about the back-splash? I'm a huge fan of subway tiles, or those tiny square glass tiles.

Silestone (quartz) countertops, but no final decision on the type of tile backsplash. I kind of like the tiles that are about 4 inches, but some of the patterns have much smaller ones. I'll know more after Wednesday.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 07:26 am

The cabinets are in so I posted new pictures again.
WiseNLucky

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:32 am

And they are beautiful! It's making me wish I could do my kitchen, which is not a good thing, because we have way too many other projects that *really* need to be done. But I'm enjoying yours!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:05 am

For those of you who have been loyal followers, my kitchen is finally done.

I also bought lots of new toys along the way to go with the new kitchen.
WiseNLucky

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:37 pm

It is truly beautiful, and it looks like it will be conducive to lots of good cooking. But I have a question: What is the appeal of stainless steel sinks? I get stainless steel appliances, if you like the look, so do you just get the sink so it matches? I HATE the sound of a stainless steel sink when you drop silverware into it, or when something scrapes it while you're doing the washing up. Does it just not bother other people?

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:39 am

Momma, I have never even thought about the sound things make in a stainless steel sink.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:24 am

Momma Snider wrote:But I have a question: What is the appeal of stainless steel sinks? I get stainless steel appliances, if you like the look, so do you just get the sink so it matches? I HATE the sound of a stainless steel sink when you drop silverware into it, or when something scrapes it while you're doing the washing up.

I looked at some sort of stone sink, but couldn't get anything to match my countertops. Painted surfaces don't work for me because they scratch, and again, matching the color would be a nightmare.

Higher-end SS sinks have sound deadeners mounted to the undersides, so they are much less noisy than un-deadened ones. Plus, I don't throw things into my sink! You can get custom screens that go in the bottom of your sink to protect it, but I just use plastic ones to keep things from grinding. The sink won't stay perfect, but I discovered that I actually like SS sinks with my previous one, that wasn't nearly as nice as this new one.
WiseNLucky

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 09:01 am

I always thought the purpose of having a SS sink was to get the garlic smell off your hands.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

The Don

Postby The Don » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:48 pm

I get tired of my SS sink always asking me for my "papers please" whenever I wash dishes.
I like traffic lights.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:20 pm

So, um, yeah. I love your kitchen.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:29 am

It is more than likely that I have never seen a high-quality SS sink. (I liked the joke, The Don.) Yours is really pretty, Wise, and if I ever come and visit you, I'll have to see if it hurts my ears.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:41 am

WiseNLucky wrote:For those of you who have been loyal followers, my kitchen is finally done.

And belated congratulations. :)

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 05:58 am

Momma Snider wrote:It is more than likely that I have never seen a high-quality SS sink. (I liked the joke, The Don.) Yours is really pretty, Wise, and if I ever come and visit you, I'll have to see if it hurts my ears.

I liked the joke, too.

Mine is mid-quality, but I saw the dampening material when I was shopping for it and the builder showed (using a quarter) how much the material dampens the sound compared to the cheaper sinks.

So I gritted my teeth and dropped a spoon into my new sink. It made more noise than I would have liked. But it made me realize that I don't drop things into my sink. Ever. I can't imagine what kind of sink would not make noise or potentially be damaged by dropping things into it. Even my quartz cabinet tops (second hardest thing on the planet behind diamonds) could be damaged by dropping things on it, or by harsh chemicals (no real damage but it would stain, and could only be repaired by taking the surface off with diamond sandpaper).

What kind of sink do you have that you are comfortable dropping things into it?
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 06:00 am

SDR wrote:
WiseNLucky wrote:For those of you who have been loyal followers, my kitchen is finally done.

And belated congratulations. :)

Thanks. I have been working on this project since late April (not even five months), and I have a new respect for what women go through to bring a baby into the world. And I didn't even have to grow this thing in my belly!

Just like a baby, my kitchen is more work now than before as I move into it. Progress is slow.
WiseNLucky

Return to “Recipes”