I'm Becoming a Girl - Part I - My Dream Kitchen

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 05 May, 2010 08:16 am

WiseNLucky wrote:Julia Child's cookbook says that a thin layer of copper isn't effective in conducting heat, that you need at least 1/8 inch. That book prefers other type of heavy bottoms if you can't get really expensive thick copper exteriors with tinned insides. I never thought to measure mine for thickness but I do know the insides are stainless steel. I have found some pretty expensive heavy copper cookware with stainless insides and cast iron handles online, but wonder if it is that much better. I wish I could just try a bunch of different kinds without buying one of each type of pan.

Here are a couple I've found:

Mafter This one is 1/8 inch copper.

Mauviel This is 2mm copper which is only a little more than half of 1/8 inch if I did the math right. Larger set with more pieces, but not sure which of them I'd use.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 05 May, 2010 11:56 am

The only thing I would caution about the pans with that much copper everywhere is that you will end up spending a LOT of time polishing the copper to keep it shiny and not tarnished unless you don't mind your copper pots and pans looking weathered.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 05 May, 2010 12:15 pm

Rocky always thinks we should build one of those units where the pots hang over the island or someplace, because we don't have much storage space for pots and pans. I don't really care for the look, anyway, with the rest of my decor, but what nixes it for sure is the need for constant pot polishing, not to mention expensive cookware.

I'm using four Revere Ware pans, two of which were wedding presents, and some hand-me-down pans from when Jeff and Beth got new ones a few years ago. They've even bought a new set since then, and offered me those hand-me-downs, but I'm doing fine with the old ones.

It sounds like it's a whole new world out there that I have never experienced.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 06 May, 2010 01:46 pm

:D :D :D

Ah, the vagaries of the stock market. Of course once I made a decision that I'm comfortable cashing some long-term assets in and spending the money, the market drops like a rock. In one week I've lost about double the amount I had planned to spend on the new kitchen. In fact, I basically lost the kitchen today! I'm a compulsive planner, so no way did I jump up and sell a bunch of stock to lock in the cash. I don't rush into any expensive decisions.

But who knows - the market could go crazy in the other direction just as quickly. I think I'll keep researching just in case, and be ready to convert to cash when the next good opportunity comes. And it will come, just no telling when. I can still go ahead and move forward on small appliances, cookware and cutlery because I can take those out of normal cash flow over the next few months.

This should be a lesson to anyone who has money sitting in stocks that (s)he plans to spend in the near future. A new kitchen is a luxury, and I have no problem backing off until the timing is better, but thank goodness I wasn't really planning on needing that money for something. I've seen others make that mistake when planning on buying a house or making some other large purchase that cannot be put off (medical bills, anyone?). It can be financially damaging to be forced to turn long-term assets into cash at a bad time.

But please keep the ideas coming. I was leaning toward quartz countertops and a BlueStar cooktop. People seem to love BlueStar burners while not particularly liking their ovens. I'm kind of partial to digital ovens; they seem to keep the temperature more constant. If you have a different experience with your gas ovens I would love to hear it.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 07 May, 2010 05:54 am

What a freakish day yesterday. After an 8% drop, the market recovered almost 2/3 of that drop within a few hours. Crazy times indeed!
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 20 May, 2010 05:48 am

So, I don't know if you guys are bored with this topic or not, but thought I'd update. I have ordered the Le Creuset and Mafter cookware. I located large sets of both. I want to try out some knives before I buy them, so I haven't made final decisions there.

I have made final decisions on large appliances:

BlueStar 48" rangetop with 4 burners, grill and griddle
Vent-a-Hood 48" chimney hood
Wolf double 30" ovens
Fisher Peykel double drawer dishwasher
Northland 60" side-by-side refrigerator/freezer

I am leaning toward Silestone countertops. None of the contractors I've been interviewing will install a butcher block. They say if I want one I need to buy a countertop model that can be thrown away and replaced. There must be a code issue with it in Minnesota.
WiseNLucky

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 20 May, 2010 08:42 am

It may be a better idea to get a countertop butcher block anyway. It would make it easier to clean and eventually resurface when it needs it.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 20 May, 2010 10:02 am

Okay, now that we're past the wish list stage, I'm officially jealous. Well, not really, because I am not a fancy cook and wouldn't utilize all that stuff properly.

By the way, I did find a white french door refrigerator. It was about $500 more than the comparable stainless steel one, and is totally out of the question.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 20 May, 2010 10:33 am

We looked at the Fisher Peykel double-drawer dishwasher a year or so ago when we were considering remodeling our kitchen (before we decided to just move to a different house), and they are VERY nice. I'm a little bit jealous about that. (I'd be more jealous if I ever did the dishes.)
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 20 May, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm jealous, but not over appliances. But with the comfort of cashing in the stock to buy what you want. I've got some stock that I bought as part of an employee purchase program, so we got a 15% discount off the price, and that's a great deal. So, my hubby and I got in on it around 2000, 2001. We've sat on that stock and sat on it, and currently it is doing fabulously well. And right now, we need to buy me a replacement car, and our deck is unsafe, and my dad wants to build an extra room onto the house at the same time as the new deck. So we really, really need to just go ahead and sell the stock, take the money and go do what needs done. But, it's just so hard! We've held that stock for years. It's the first time we've ever owned stock outright, and would be the first time we've ever sold stock. So, from a tax standpoint, that's scary. And in our minds it's always been the "backup to the backup". You know, if for some reason we had to start living on the emergency fund, and we hit a really long, really rough patch, and burned through the whole thing, then we'd sell the stock. So, I'm just having a really hard time letting go and doing what needs done. And hubby is having an even harder time with it. So, to be able to say "I want to create my dream kitchen!" and then to just let go and do it, that is amazing to me.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 20 May, 2010 05:33 pm

KMD wrote:I'm jealous, but not over appliances. But with the comfort of cashing in the stock to buy what you want.

I know what you mean. I guess because I'm older, it's a little easier. I took the opportunity to cash out some stock when prices climbed back up there shortly after the big decline and now have enough to do most of the kitchen. With lots of time before I need the last payment I hope that the last week reverses itself, but the remaining amount I need is pretty small (depending on where the final cost comes out) so I'm not worried either way.

The stock I'm using was also purchased in an employee stock purchase program. Part of my comfort using it is that I'm pretty far ahead of the schedule I have for retirement savings. If I were behind that curve instead of ahead, it would be hard to do. If we have another drop like last year, I will go through another hard buying phase instead of the selling I've done recently. If I were younger and my overall retirement savings were therefore lower, I could never have made myself do this. Don't feel bad at all that you are in that place in life instead of an old fogey like me.

How do you spell fogey?
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 20 May, 2010 05:38 pm

Eric's Fat Brother wrote:We looked at the Fisher Peykel double-drawer dishwasher a year or so ago when we were considering remodeling our kitchen (before we decided to just move to a different house), and they are VERY nice.

I know!

I had no plan to replace my existing dishwasher, but the combination of how we have to turn up the TV when the dishes are washing and the fact that none of us in the house seem to have the nerve to run the thing when it is only half full, and then find we are out of spoons or something, I was an easy sell when one of the contractors told me of the FP's existence. They are so cute!

I notice I left off the microwave, which is a Sharp under-counter drawer type (Sharp owns the patent and manufactures the high-end versions for competitor lines and all the appliance distributors told me to feel comfortable not going with a big brand name) which is also cute. You push a button and the microwave slides out of a lower cabinet. Very cool.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 20 May, 2010 05:41 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Okay, now that we're past the wish list stage, I'm officially jealous. Well, not really, because I am not a fancy cook and wouldn't utilize all that stuff properly.

I won't either, at least not often. But I like the idea that it will be there if I do want to use it. You will be a far better cook without my toys than I will be with them.

Hey, maybe my toys will inspire you (or others) to visit me sometime. I couldn't seem to use the Florida beach or pre-season baseball to get anyone to visit me when I lived down there, but maybe this will work. :)
WiseNLucky

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 20 May, 2010 06:11 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:Hey, maybe my toys will inspire you (or others) to visit me sometime. I couldn't seem to use the Florida beach or pre-season baseball to get anyone to visit me when I lived down there, but maybe this will work. :)

:shock: I don't recall any such invitations...
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 20 May, 2010 08:05 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:Hey, maybe my toys will inspire you (or others) to visit me sometime. I couldn't seem to use the Florida beach or pre-season baseball to get anyone to visit me when I lived down there, but maybe this will work. :)

I seem to recall when we were getting off of a cruise in Miami, but you didn't want to drive down there to hang out with us.... :)

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 21 May, 2010 01:57 am

Hmm. I know I remember offering open invitations to visit if anyone was in Florida. The baseball reference was a specific wink to EFB who wanted to visit Dodgertown until a new baby got in the way.

AdamOndi, I'm sorry if you guys felt slighted. I remember looking forward to meeting up with you but don't remember why I wasn't able to. I also remember someone else moving away from south Florida where we tried to meet up several times before she left but each of us had to cancel and we never pulled it off.

So you are all officially invited to visit me in Minnesota if you would like, but probably it would be better after the kitchen remodel is done because that will be taking up my attention until it is. I love my new home state and would be happy to show you around. Since it is unlikely that any of you would make a trip just to visit me, I figure a visit will most likely coincide with some other reason you might be in the area, like a stop by the Mall of America or something. I would hate to think that any of you would be in Minneapolis and not give me a call so we could meet up.
WiseNLucky

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 21 May, 2010 07:06 am

We'll let you know when we have a cruise that lets us off in Minnesota. :lol:

Actually, if I remember correctly, you wanted to come down and hang out, but there was a time conflict of some sort. But you did recommend that we go check out Coral Gables, which was pretty cool.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 27 May, 2010 05:08 am

Thanks for recommending that I go actually try out various knives. I ended up getting a set of Shun Ken Onion knives.

I went to the store intending to buy Shun Elite (which are not right handed since my wife is left handed) but tried everything in the store (which was a lot!). The Onions looked so weird that I didn't even want to try them, but the store clerk insisted since I was trying out everything else. I even tried a $600 hand forged chef's knife. When I put the Onion in my hand, I couldn't believe it. I kept going back to it and finally had to admit I preferred it. From my online reading, people seem to either love or hate them. My wife hasn't tried them yet but at least they are not right handed. She likes different looking knives, so I think she'll like them if I can get her to come upstairs and cut something.

By the way, did Alton Brown and Shun break up? I couldn't find his Shun line available anywhere. And why do the German knives feel so clunky after handling a Japanese knife?
WiseNLucky

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 27 May, 2010 07:00 am

I don't think Alton broke up with Shun (since you can see him using Shun knives on episodes of Good Eats). I just think his endorsement deal with them expired. He used to have a whole area on his website about Shun knives and the "Alton's Angles" line in particular. We bought our Alton's Angles Shun knives on Woot.com, and Woot probably got them from Shun at clearance prices after the line was discontinued. Regardless, they are still amazingly good knives.

Good on you for going down to an actual, quality knife shop. I knew that you would be surprised by how much of a difference it makes to go and get your hands on a set of knives before buying them. I am kind of surprised about how many people will spend a lot of money on knives without even holding them first. Lisapants and I are both right-handed, so we didn't need to worry about the handedness of the knives. I haven't ever actually played with a Ken Onion Shun knife. They do look weird, but I am sure they are excellent to use.

I am not sure why the German knives feel so wonky compared to the Japanese ones. It must all be a matter of opinion. I personally greatly prefer the way that Japanese knives (such as Shun) are weighted and balanced. German knives are weighted and balanced differently. That's why it is so important to get your hands on the knives, since some people prefer the German feel.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:06 pm

**update** Signed with a contractor on Wednesday. It's really going to happen!

I'm already using my Matfer cookware and Ken Onion knives and love both. Haven't used any of the Le Creuset yet.

Cooking classes are fun but I've gained some weight. I'l be without a kitchen for awhile during the remodel and I'm not looking forward to that.
WiseNLucky

Return to “Recipes”