I'm Becoming a Girl - Part I - My Dream Kitchen

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm

WnL, I have thought about this thread a few times in the last couple of weeks when I have seen Ken Onion 6-piece Shun sets on Woot.com for $399.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:15 pm

I got a bigger set but paid quite a bit more. Not that you're thinking of buying any, but, if you are, go someplace and try them first. People either love or hate them. I happen to be in the "love" camp.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:54 pm

I was thinking about this thread too! Except for me it was, I finally went ahead and sold 1/2 that stock, made a nice profit, and this weekend the hubbie and my dad will start work, transforming our screened-in porch into a finished Florida room, and enlarging the attached deck.

But I sympathize with you WnL, I'm going to be without my grill for the rest of the summer, and it's driving me up a wall. I LOVE to grill, I'd say I use it 3-4 times a week in the summer. But, it'll be even sweeter the first time I get to fire it up on the new deck. :D

On the subject of knives. I am the opposite of an expert when it comes to knives. (What does that make me, an imbecile on the subject of knives?) Being short, I've always had a hard time cutting anything, because kitchen countertops are too tall for me, I can't get enough leverage on a knife anyway. But about a year ago I bought some santuko knives, at Sam's club, and I LOVE those things. I don't know why, they feel good in my hand, and those suckers will slice through anything, with hardly any effort on my part at all. I wish I knew more about knives. I wish I had a "knife store" in the area to try before I buy. :?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:53 pm

KMD wrote:But I sympathize with you WnL, I'm going to be without my grill for the rest of the summer, and it's driving me up a wall. I LOVE to grill, I'd say I use it 3-4 times a week in the summer. But, it'll be even sweeter the first time I get to fire it up on the new deck. :D

Wow. I need to grill more. I even bought myself some chunk charcoal to encourage me, but there it sits. I am, however, taking several grilling classes in July so maybe I will be encouraged to grill more, particularly while my kitchen is missing.

But about a year ago I bought some santuko knives, at Sam's club, and I LOVE those things. I don't know why, they feel good in my hand, and those suckers will slice through anything, with hardly any effort on my part at all. I wish I knew more about knives. I wish I had a "knife store" in the area to try before I buy. :?

Santoku knives are a style of Japanese knife where the blade's sharp edge is more flat and the curved edge is on the non-sharp side. They work really well slicing through things. A chef's knife has a curved sharp edge and flatter non-sharp side, better for chopping where you rock the knife in the stuff you are cutting. Both work really well, and I have both in my new set. Your knife probably cuts really well because you slice more than rock, and because the knife is fairly new. Sharp knives are awesome; the difference in knife quality is often how long the knife remains sharp (quality of the steel), and how much maintenance it takes to keep it that way.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:47 pm

Well, I have no kitchen anymore. Today they came and ripped out everything that was in there.

I have my first of three grilling classes tonight. I hope I enjoy it and learn how to do some stuff. If we want home-prepared hot meals over the next 8 weeks they will have to come off the grill.
WiseNLucky

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 06:57 am

I could give you some good grilling lessons.

#1 - The marinade is your friend with many grilled meals. Chicken, pork, and flank steak all benefit greatly from even a simple marinade. The one that we use most with chicken that we grill is simply minced garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, and some olive oil. We just mix that all up in a Ziploc bag and dump in some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. After letting them soak in there for a few hours, we slap them on a nice, hot grill and let them cook 4-5 minutes on each side. These are great when fresh off the grill, but the leftovers are also great in salad or cut into small pieces and put into quesadillas.

#2 - Most vegetables can be successfully grilled as long as they are not cut into pieces that are small enough to fall through the grill. Zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, and onions are all great when grilled and sprinkled with some salt and pepper.

#3 - Any grill can become a smoker by putting the meat to be smoked on one side with the burner off, while wet wood chips are put on the other side with the burner on. Just get a good spice rub on a big chunk of pork shoulder, and smoke it in your grill for several hours, and you'll have some of the best BBQ pulled pork you've ever tasted.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:32 am

I actually have been using my grill even more, now that construction has started. Cooking dinner for those guys, they are doing a big job, and deserve some Big Eats. :D My dad is saying he thought he was going to lose some weight, doing all this work in the hot sun, but instead I'm feeding him so well, he's going to gain!

I'm with Adam on marinades, although I also really love a good dry rub, if you don't have the time to marinade. I have one I make at home, I'll post the recipe later. Or, you can just buy some at the store. I bought an applewood rub and put it on pork chops the other day, they were fantastic!

Also, you want a little oil on those veggies along with the salt and pepper, just to keep them from sticking. And my favorite thing to put on the grill lately has been pineapple. I cut it into big long spears, squirt some honey on top of them, and grill away. Excellent!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 06:16 pm

I learned a lot in my class last night and you guys hit on quite a bit of it. I think I will have fun with the grill, but I have to figure out a way/place for prep work.
WiseNLucky

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:26 am

Do you have a picnic table or other small table next to your grill? You could just slap a cutting board on that and essentially have a completely outdoor kitchen until your indoor one is completed.

I looked at the pictures on Facebook last night, and it will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Your old kitchen looked a lot like a standard, cookie-cutter kitchen that often gets built in planned cookie-cutter communities. A lot like the kitchen in our old house in Washington. If I had my druthers there, I would have ripped out that kitchen and customized it, too.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:57 am

This is listed as a pork rub, and it's awesome on pork, but I also put it on steaks, my mom puts it on chicken before she fries it, and I have a friend who puts it on oven fries before he bakes them.

4 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp onion powder
4 tbsp garlic powder
4 tbsp dried thyme
4 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp mild paprika
2 tbsp hot paprika
4 tsp cayenne
4 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp kosher salt

Put all that in a glass jar, or I use an empty large spice shaker container, and shake it up until it's all mixed in. Then just shake some onto meats before they hit the grill, use your fingers to "rub" (more like slightly press) it into the meat, and grill.

Couple notes, I can never find both mild and hot paprika at my grocery store, so I just use 4 tbsp of whatever paprika I have on hand. And the same with both black and white pepper.

Also, if you're not sure you'll like this, cut all those numbers in half, and make a small batch, then you're not quite so committed to wiping out half of your spice rack in one go. :D But, if you find you like it, it also works great as a homemade gift at the holidays, make a double batch, into a mixing bowl, and then get some cute jars to put it in, and give to people you really like.

Card

Postby Card » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:28 am

That's a good idea. When it gets closer to Christmas, I think I'd like to start a whole thread with Christmas gift ideas like that. I'm always at a loss as to what to give people I care about.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:55 pm

Card wrote:That's a good idea. When it gets closer to Christmas, I think I'd like to start a whole thread with Christmas gift ideas like that. I'm always at a loss as to what to give people I care about.
Me too, Card. The people I despise, heck, it's easy to choose gifts for them.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:05 pm

KMD wrote: I bought an applewood rub and put it on pork chops the other day, they were fantastic!

How long do you cook pork chops on the grill? We mostly just cook steak and chicken, haven't experimented much with other meats.

And by "we" I mean "my dear husband".

I'm addicted to Lawry marinades on our chicken. Our favorite is the Havana Garlic & Lime. We buy a bunch of them when they go on sale, like 2 for $5.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:32 am

KareNin wrote:
Card wrote:That's a good idea. When it gets closer to Christmas, I think I'd like to start a whole thread with Christmas gift ideas like that. I'm always at a loss as to what to give people I care about.

Glass shards, potted poison ivy, moldy bread, cards that say "I despise you," a swift kick to the nethers.... Yeah, it is always easy to choose gifts for people I dislike. Now, if only I could give them those gifts without risking jail time.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:56 am

lilcis wrote:How long do you cook pork chops on the grill?

I am terrible about knowing how long something ought to be on the grill. So, until they look done?

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:58 am

KMD wrote:
lilcis wrote:How long do you cook pork chops on the grill?

I am terrible about knowing how long something ought to be on the grill. So, until they look done?

Pork chops are tricky. Lots of people are reluctant to eat pork that hasn't been overcooked to the consistency of leather, even though modern pork can be eaten at a medium "doneness" without any health concerns. Add in the fact that the thickness of pork chops varies widely, and it all becomes a big confusing mess.

The best way to do it is to use a meat thermometer that has an alarm that you can set to go off at the correct temperature. Alton Brown recommends cooking pork chops to an internal temperature of 145 degrees for optimum flavor. The amount of time it takes to get to that temperature will vary based on your grill and how hot it is in different spots and all of that.

Maybe these are all reasons why I hardly ever bother to grill pork chops. It's probably a lot easier to just bake them where all of this is more easily controlled.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:57 am

Well, very true. But grilling them tastes just wonderful. I don't want to miss out on that, just because I'm not sure if they're done.

Honestly, what I do is, throw them on a hot grill, couple minutes each side to get the lovely grill marks. Then, turn the flames down to low, but put the lid on, so it gets nice and warm in there. And then when I think they might be done, I poke at them with my tongs. If they feel really nice and firm, I pull them, put them in foil, and let them sit a couple extra minutes before plating and eating.

Another great Alton trick I learned a while back, for telling the doneness of steaks, is pretty much what I'm using here. Make a real loose fist, and then with your other hand, poke the webbing between your thumb and index finger. That is what a rare steak should feel like when you poke it. Tighten your fist up a little bit, and that's medium, and then make a good fist and poke there, and that's well done. I look for that well done feel in a pork chop.

But chicken, that stuff is dangerous juju right there. I either just cut into one and see if it's done all the way through, or take it's temp.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 03:38 pm

I've been grilling chicken a lot lately. I use Pappy's 50% Less Sodium Seasoning (I get the 28 oz. bottle for about $7 locally). I apply it liberally over boneless, skinless breasts, both sides. I like the seasoning thick because it forms a delicious crust, and I don't think it overpowers the chicken.

I get my grill really hot (about 550) and keep it on High the whole time, and put the breasts on. I use a remote probe thermometer and set it for half way between the current chicken temp and 155, usually around 100. When it's half done, I flip it once. Let it get to 155 and pull it. Instead of foil, I use a tea towel over it to let it rest. That way the steam can pass and not ruin my yummy crust. I let them sit for 5 minutes or so and they'll get up to 165-170. Delicious and still juicy. One of our favorites!
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:09 pm

KareNin wrote:

AHA! That must be the source of the flaming bag of poo on my doorstep last year. :)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:13 pm

Last year? 2009? *thinks back*

Nope, that time it wasn't me.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Return to “Recipes”